What has been your best anti-tank unit?

Brother Drakist

Mechanized squads with two meltas.

Qouted for Truth.

10 marines with x2 Melta guns and a Powerfist. Throw them in a Rhino with a combi-melta and you have a troop capable of taking down the hardest tanks, while still being able to be very effective in assault and bolter fire.

In my experience it is the 2 melta + powerfist chaos marine squad and the multiple melta gun chose squd.

Meltas and powerfists compliment each other and the squad can be used to take on all sorts. The 9 krak grenades/27 close combat attacks you get from the rest of your guys agaisnt the rear armour when charging a vehicle is also worth mentioning to.

Although it has already been mentioned and seconded, but I third it.

Havocs, in a rhino with 5 meltas does it for me... or at least is doing fine while i play test my new renegades army. meltas are the anti-tank weapon of choice now... and havocs can have 4 of them! (plus combi weapon on rhino). plus with the rhino's movement they're an effective range of about 24" which aint bad for assault weapons.

Currently the unit is:

(7)Havocs:

4 x Meltagun, Bolt pistol, Close combat weapon

2 x Bolter, Bolt pistol, Close Combat weapon

1 x Bolter, Bolt pistol, Close Combat weapon, Icon of chaos glory

Rhino: combi melta

=200

They're accompanied by Huron Blackheart, so with their 2 ccw's and his warptime they also a good assault unit, and good anit horde with bolters and heavy flamer. a lot cheaper than chosen too.

Agree with Nihm.

I've sworn to never use Oblits. So i always take 5 man Raptors with 2 meltas. I take a squad in 1.5k and 2 squads in 1750 games.

3 man termies with 3 combi-melta is just 105pts. Never used them yet, but i've bought the combis for the day when i need them.

cheers.

Oblits. Really there is no reason to take havocs now that they can no longer take tank hunters in my opinion.

Back when Havocs could still take it I still didn't give my 4x HB Havoc Squad tank hunter...

Furthermore, when my 4x AC Havoc Squad took Tank Hunter, their work was often cut short by other AT units, and then the squad further excelled in shredding anti-infantry; which goes to show that armies still can put out enough AT that this unit still seemed (though I have no experience in this edition with Chaos, sadly) worthy of fielding over oblits.

[cheap 300 knock off]

These are dark days; where marines can get 4+ cover, and opponents know to spread units to protect from templates.

These are end times; when opponent AT can eliminate a unit of Oblits with a pair of lascannons/bright lances/exorcist(s) missiles in his/her possession, and a pair of unlucky dice in your possession.

THIS

IS

WARHAMMER!!

[/cheap 300 knock off]

*cough* that being said, -my- best anti-tank unit near-completely changed roles in the new chaos dex.

While min-maxers and efficiency-priests would decry me, my Defiler with Twin Lascannons would decide that instead of (once again) firing at marines in 4+ cover, and perhaps killing 1-3 instead of 4-6, I would surprise the living "bio-mass" out of my opponent by turning the usually disgusting Anti-Inf war-machine into a Land Raider popping menace.

Often times, it was "XX points wasted".

The ~1/3 times it worked, it left my opponent searching for the appropriate curse word.

That's just my experience, and other people will tell you their experience in spending XXpts elsewhere suited them better.

If I were to resurrect my Chaos army into the new rulebook and new edition, I'd still take a defiler with a Twin Lascannon, except this time around; he'd have an extra DCCW just in case!! ^_^

Cheers,

Lawrence.

++EDIT++ Mind you, I'm saying this because I like being different; and I'm a big fan of trying out -all- options. "Extremely Efficient" -and- "otherwise..."

Furthermore, this is because I've already tried Oblits, and I've already tried the TL-LC Defiler, and I like them both.

They're also both good at what they do; even though they do it in different ways, different directions, different quantities and qualities.

Landraider...

14 armor is tough especially at smaller points and two twin-linked Lascannons is pretty awesome. It also has intimidation.

A character with high attacks and a powerfist should work well. Don't forget the chainfist. That opens up cans... If you're aggressive you could try teleporting near enemy armor. I usually use my icons or just walk across the board blasting as I go. Ten terminators with mark of Nurgle is tough for anything to deal with... I don't think anyone wants to see me field the Right Hard Posse again...

Archived