painting tips for sisters

kharn_the_betrayer

I picked up my first blister of sisters yesterday (the gw I went to had the box and one blister so I got the blister and some BFG stuff). I am looking at building them and starting to paint them as building the army up slowly and having it painted fully. That being said I am looking at color schemes for it. I cant figure one out and am playing with the painter a lot trying to get a handle on it. I want to make my own, any tips?

If you want to go with simplicity, pick your favorite color, and apply that over theircloth and armor, then give them golden trim ontop of that.

It's relatively simple, and yet gives them the ornate look you'd expect out of an ecclesiarchal force.

I'm thinking of altering the Order of the Bloody Rose (p58) but making the armor a deep red like Word Bearers (I like the color scheme) with the black sleeves, skirts and faceplates. I tested it in the painter, and don't know on small details (fluers etc.) but that is what i'm leaning towards. NOTE: I didn't copy this intentionally just like the WB scheme and felt black robes would go well with the red color I will post the pic when I get home from the painter.

http://http//bolterandchainsword.com/ss.php?bpe=660404&bpj=660404&bp=660404&bpc=660404&hdt=660404&hdm=000000&hdl=660404&ey=660404&er=660404&pi=660404&reb=660404&nk=660404&ch=660404&abs=660404&bt=660404&is=ffffff&sk=000000&ull=660404&lk=660404&lll=660404&lft=660404&url=660404&rk=660404&flk=ffffff&lrl=660404&rft=660404&slt=660404&sli=660404&fs=ffffff&srt=660404&sri=660404&iss=ffffff&slv=000000&ula=660404&lla=660404&lh=660404&ura=660404&rla=660404&rh=660404&ri=FFFFFF&tr=FFFFFF&bg=FFFFFF&rb=FFFFFF&gr=FFFFFF&

I know how you feel, I went through a couple of different schemes myself before settling on a "codex Order".....

I do like the deep the red and black, gives em a stern or aggressive look! The only thing that seems a little off IMHO is the helmet... I almost think it may look better with the red/black parts on the helmet swapped so it would be a black helmet with a red visor. Or even a red helmet with a white visor?

In general, I'm liking the overall Dark red/Black theme! You are off to a good start! :tu:

For the armour, start with a basecoat of mechrite red. Then move onto scab red, possibily mixed with a bit of regal blue to give it more of a maroon look. Then I would do all but the very deepest recesses with the same mix but add some of white (I can't give you a mix ratio since this is all guesstimation but from the look of the picture, it is going to be pretty significant) and build it up with a few more layers but the last one or two should actually be a base of white and the mix. The edges and insignia are going to be rough (I run a Tablahiem Empire army and have a lot of experience with white) but rather than build up with greys and then to whites in a million layers, you could simply get a good layer of white and do a wash of Badab black and then touch up the white a bit and it should be fine. Also, it could be easier for you to do the cloaks as codex grey but do alot of black washes on them and then highlight afterwards. This way, you get a lot of natural layering and it takes alot less time.

Oh yeah, I like the scheme. It goes well together. What about the bolters?

My apologies I couldn't figure out how to do metallics on the painter. Pretty much anything white will be silver in color. Boltguns don't appear to have a casing breach like sm ones so I would say straight up boltgun with chainmail highlights nothing special I'm not that great a painter so the armor won't have much lining on it. I'm also thinking black on the beading around the waist kind of a thing I like from DA chaplains. Thanks for the tips so far though.

Silver? I guess that looks just as good as the picture you posted up! I'm a sucker for white themed armies - they just look great! A shame its such a pain to paint with mostly!

I'd have done for silver on the helmet where you've done black as that'd tie in with the rest of the armour better - but its up to you.

I vote for silver boltguns - black casings are done to death and its nice to see a bit of variety.

Archived