Mystics and vehicles

maturin

A quick question; I'd post over in the rules forum but somehow I think I'd get a much better response here. ;)

Let's say I'd like to designate a vehicle to make my inquistorial retinue's free shot on a deep striking opponent. Does the vehicle get to rotate in order to bring its weapons to bear first? Or must it only fire weapons on turrets/which can already bear on the target?

I ask because I'd really like to use my vindicator (parent SM army) on some unsuspecting marines who drop pod in, etc.... but the demolisher cannon's pretty limited in its firing arc. Still, with a LRC and a shooty inquisitor lord I could set up a fairly deep-strike proof base of fire...

The units come in before the movement phase, its in this phase that the mystic/auspex can set up a shot at them, they cannot move until the movement phase...

So to answer your question, no, vehicles cannot rotate to bring their weapons to bare, infantry however has a 360 fire arc.

Handy if you take the =][= heavy weapon setup.

Thanks for the quick reply, Mal.

Good point about movement - but I'll quote this from the "Vehicles Shooting" section of the rules (p.58 of the small one).

"Vehicles that remained stationary may fire all of their weapons (remember that pivoting on the spot does not count as moving)" - (emphasis mine).

So .... if pivoting doesn't count as moving, can I pivot whenever I take a shot, including the free one?

More to the point, you get to shoot at the opponent when the unit comes in, i.e. their movement phase, not yours. If they appear in the firing arc of the LRC when they deep strike, then blast their sorry hides back to the emperor.

Darn - I suspected as much. Ah well - I'll have to come up with a new "turtle" formation...maybe have the LRC facing backwards to cover the rear and the vindi up front.

I guess I'm really paranoid of daemon armies (haven't faced one yet) but I envision turtling up within the mystic shield and letting them come to me - I'm currently playing mech SMs, +/- DH. If they strike close, I'll blast 'em. If they drop in a bit away, I'll simply have a bit more time to blast 'em. Or so goes my thinking.

Well as far as deamon armies go, they can easily come down outside your mystics range.. they can't get into combat on the same turn so they don't want to be parked in rapid fire range for a turn if they can help it.

yes, while pivoting doesn't count as movement, it can only be done in the movement phase.

This pivoting is in the shooting phase isn't it? So long as the Vehicle didn't move in it's (preceding) movement phase.

If so, and your vehicle remianed station in it's preceding movement phase, there should be no problem pivoting or shooting either in your shooting phase, or the free shot and free shooting phase offered by a Mystic facing DSing units.

No, after re-reading all the vehicle rules (yet again) I'd have to agree with Mal and Peredyne - normal vehicles move (and/or pivot) in their movement phase. Only walkers are specifically mentioned as pivoting in the shooting phase.

It makes sense, I suppose - otherwise all vehicles would be able to pivot before firing and firing arcs wouldn't really matter anymore. Ah well...

Archived