Fighting the Princess of Excess

Apothecary Daxam

Recently, down at the shop I play at, one of the staff has created a very nasty list, which is exclusivly Slaneesh-y. It's a little worrying the way she describes it. She has two Daemon Prince(sse)s with MOS, Lash, and wings, five squads of five Noise Marines with Blast Masters, a pair of Vindicators, and something else in a Rhino. At 1500pts. I am considering playing against her, but I would like to hear some people's tactics for Space Marines against this list.

I considered the following list, to give you a suggestion of what I considered fielding:

HQ: Epistolary with "Force Dome" and "Smite" and jump pack . (125pts)

HQ: Master of the Forge With Conversion Beamer and Power Sword (135pts)

Elites: Dreadnought (unaltered from Basic Profile) (105pts)

Elites: Sternguard squad with eight marines and a combi-melta (205pts)

Troop: Tactical Squad with Ten Marines, Meltagun, Missile Launcher. Sergeant has Power Sword and Rhino with Hunter Killer Missile (235pts)

Troop: Tactical Squad with Ten Marines, Plasmagun, Missile Launcher. Sergeant has Chainsword and Plasma Pistol. Rhino With Hunter Killer (240pts)

Troop: Tactical Squad with Ten Marines, Flamer, Missile Launcher. Sergeant has Power Sword. (185pts)

Fast Attack: Assualt Squad with Ten Marines, two with Plasma Pistols, and Sergeant with Power Weapon (235pts)

Total: 1500pts

The Epistolary can be used to attempt to negate one of the Lashes per turn, perhaps saving a valuable unit from death. The Techmarine's Conversion beamer could cut through an entire Squad of Noise Marines at range in one turn, and the volume of Kraks, plasma and power weapons (not to mention Smite) could reap a deadly toll on Space Marines. But the main concern I have is, if the Daemon Princesses get to a squad, they'll tie it up far too long. As for the Sternguard, their Vengeance rounds could seriously screw up any noise squad, and their Hellfire would hurt the Daemon Princesses. The Conversion Beamer is useful against the Vindicators, hitting on the side armour, so they'll hopefully be rent asunder.

Sounds like she's hoping to Lash you into bunches and then drop templates on your head.

Now the big thing is that you can't Lash a unit in a vehicle, so that means everything should be mounted or a vehicle itself. Now some other thoughts.

1) If you kill the Lash Princes, you'll be alot more likely to win. Missiles, Plasma, Power Fists will all take it down fairly quickly.

2) A Inv Save would not be horrible, so maybe give a Librarian that Force Dome ability. Also you don't really need Smite and a Plasma Pistol. Take the Flamer template instead but give your Librarian a Jump Pack and send them with the Assault Squad.

3) She can only Lash 2 units at a time, however with only 4 units to choose from, you might be at a disadvantage. I'd think about maybe getting in a 5th unit possibly.

4) The Heavy Support seems pretty weak actually. Thunder Fire isn't that scary to Marines and the TL LasCannon/Heavy Bolter Predator isn't that great. Instead I'd think about bringing some Vindicators of your own, or some really cheap Dakka Predators (Destructors)

5) Don't take Power Weapons, almost everything is going to hit before you so you might as well take the Power Fist (for Daemon Prince killing).

6) I don't like the Master of Forge really. You're taking it for a weird shooting attack. I'd rather take another Librarian or even better, use the points for another Dreadnought. Or take another Assault Squad with another Force Dome/Flamer Librarian

7) The HK Missiles aren't a bad idea actually. Target the Lash Princes first, if you can't hit them, hit the Vindicators.

I would seriously reconsider your HQs all together. Chapter Master with power weapon or lightning claws and that wonderful, sometimes game-changing orbital bombardment. That's what I'd take instead of the MoF. The librarian is an alright idea, but I'd probably sub him out for a jump chaplain to go along with that assault squad. I'd take a dev squad to help with the vindicators, and I'd probably take a bunch of dakka predators as well. Ever consider terminators and a land raider? Roll up to her DPs, jump out and smash those things to bone and grime.

I think what you need to look at is, the armies strength. It's a bit unsportsmanlike to build a list to cater towards beating just her list, seeing as she isn't doing that to you...

With that said, I'd probably just make a nice, neutral, rounded list and play intelligently. Go with something more along the lines of:

HQ

Chapter Master-loadout as you like.

Jump Chaplain

Troop:

4 Tac squads, most of them with plasguns and either lascannons or plasma cannons. Perhaps a powerfist in each squad. Combat squad them all.

Elite:

5 terminators, possibly 1 with either a cyclone or heavy flamer

Fast Attack:

1 full assault marine squad. preferably 2 flamers and a power weapon and melta bombs.

Heavy Support:

1-3 dakka predators.

That's probably along the lines of what I'd play.

The Conversion Beamer is useful against the Vindicators, hitting on the side armour, so they'll hopefully be rent asunder.

Why would they be hit on their side armour? The Conversion Beamer's Heavy 1, not Ordnance Barrage.

EDIT: And I'm pretty confident she'll keep the sides from your line of fire.

I thought all blast template weapons that hit a vehicle (if the hole is over the vehicle) hit it on the side armour?

Am I wrong? The Conversion Beamer, at ranges over 18" is a large blast. Over 18" it's strength 8, AP:4 Blast over 42" it's strength:10 AP: 1 Blast

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I am greatly considering them so far.

I think Tedwin is right, and I shouldn't tailor a list against a specific person. After all, her list isn't unbeatable. Just cheeky.

But I do want to try out the Master of The Forge and some of the new toys in the Codex. I haven't played a game with the new Codex yet.

I think Tedwin is right, and I shouldn't tailor a list against a specific person. After all, her list isn't unbeatable. Just cheeky.

But I do want to try out the Master of The Forge and some of the new toys in the Codex. I haven't played a game with the new Codex yet.

Totally understandable. I thought for some reason you were making a "counter" list.

In that case, the main thing to remember is that her list revolves around lashing your infantry into tight circles and blasting it with templates. Work to deny here the ability to do that and you'll force her to play your game.

I still think a heavily mechanized and armored force is the way to go as it protects your weaker infantry from being blasted by ordnance too soon. Focus on taking out the Lash Prince and Vindicators and you should be able to tie the rest up rapid firing and assault.

This isn't meant to be a counter list, but I was going to test it against her army, and perhaps use this and variations of this. The little analysis at the bottom just to show possible strengths against it. It's an army that, in my opinion, can leave the troops choices alone, and exchange some of the other options.

If you want to get the most mileage (hah!) out of your MotF, stick with a bike and a beamer. You want to stay far away with that beam, hopefully just outside of that 42", get the s10ap1 goodness more often than if he was both footslogging and footslogging forward to use his CC tools. If you must keep the libby, I'd give it jumps, with force dome and nullfield for powers. Give the ASM sarge a fist, and go hunting those lash princesses. Ditch the TFC, just not worth it for this match. It is quite useful vs low save, cover hugging armies, or ones that rely on bikes/jumps for the killy, but this enemy is a gunline, and one odd shot could sent it up in smokes. Use the points to mechanize everyone. I'd say drop the pred for scouts. Snipers, one hb, and cloaks all around. Nothing like wounding DP's on 4+, and a 3+ cover save is always fun. Can't Remember exactly, but if MotF has 'bolster' then that can go up to a 2+ cover, which is nothing to scoff at.(till they bring flamers ;) )

scouts having 2+ cover is nice but one thing, where is the terrain gonna be? thats the thing if you played in a woodland theres no ruins ('i'm a techmarine! not a biomarine!') then your scouts will get no 2+ cover. if you want to send those whip floggers back to the warp then maybe some sternguards using hellfires, and sice they are quite all purpose they are a nice treat. you could always try out legion of the damned, they are slow and purposeful so whatever heavy weapons they have can fire all the time and if you planted them in bolstered ruins (if you have any) then thats a unit with a 3+++ which sounds quite nice. basicly don't worry about the lashs and hope for spearhead deployment (put your master of the force on the tallest most cornered terrain piece).

Eldar Pathfinders always get +2 to their cover save, which is awesome.

But they're extremely dear at 24 points.

Back on topic, I'm gonna fight a Slaaneshi army soon, so I'll give you some tips.

Archived