Overall Army Tactics

minigun762

I'd like other people to post up their ideas of how armies work as a whole. What I'd like to do is have each army tactic given a name, a description of how it works and possible units that could work within the tactic. With this we can create a library of ways that an army can work and hopefully it will give people the tools to create and design new armies.

Army Tactic 1: Armored Spearhead

Description: The army is comprised of two sections. The tip of the spearhead is made using heavy vehicles. The second section is fast moving scoring units. The tip aggressively screens the weaker armor and ties up enemy units, allowing your scoring units to claim objectives in relative safely.

Units:

Spearhead = Land Raiders, Vindicators, Dreadnoughts

Scoring Units = Troops in Razorbacks, Rhinos or possibly Drop Pods or Jump Infantry

Army Tactic 2: Hammer and Anvil

Description: The army is comprised of two sections. The first section (Hammer) is a large mobile strike force that engages the enemy. The second section (Anvil) is a static firepower force that supports the Hammer. The goal is to force the enemy between the Hammer's mobility and Anvil's firepower and destroy them.

Units:

Hammer = Land Raider, Mechanized Squads, Jump Infantry, Vindicator, Terminators

Anvil = Predator, Devastators/Havocks, gunline Squads, Whirlwinds, Defilers

Army Tactic 3: Gunline

Description: Primarily static army based on overwhelming firepower. Deployment involves 1) good firing lanes and 2) abundance of cover saves.

Units:

Predators, Devastators/Havocks, gunline Squads, Whirlwinds, Defilers, Vindicators, Terminators

Army Tactic 4: Counter Punch/Assault

Description: The army is comprised of two sections. The first section is based on overwhelming firepower, similar to the Gunline. The second section is a medium amount of assault troops. The firepower element focuses on killing the enemy at range while the assault troops will engage any unit that seeks to tie up the shooting elements.

Units:

Shooting = Predators, Devastators/Havocks, gunline Squads, Whirlwinds, Defilers, Vindicators, Terminators

Assault = Jump Infantry, Terminators, Mechanized Squads

Army Tactic 5: OutRiders

Description: The army is comprised of two sections. One section is comprised of fast moving Biker units, usually anti-tank in nature. The second section is fast moving scoring units. The first section ties up enemy units, allowing your scoring units to claim objectives in relative safety.

Units:

Forward = Bikers, Attack Bikes, Jump Infantry

Scoring Units = Troops in Razorbacks, Rhinos, Drop Pods, Jump Infantry, Bikers

Army Tactic 6: Drop Pod

Description: The army is comprised almost entirely of units that can either Deep Strike or use a Drop Pod. Occasionally units that have the Outflank ability are used as well. The army denies the enemy shooting by not being present on the board and then hopes to bring an overwhelming force against the enemy a specific locations.

Units

Terminators, Troops, Command Squads, Dreadnoughts, Veterans (all in Drop Pods), Assault Marines, Land Speeders

Army Tactic 7: Foot Slogging (aka Marine Horde)

Description: The army is comprised of many MEQ models in an attempt to overwhelm the enemies ability to deal with them effectively. Because more anti-horde weapons cannot not pierce 3+ Armor and most AP3 or better weapons are single shot, Marines are in a unique position to bring too many bodies to the table that can not be easily dealt with.

Units

Troops, Devastators/Havocks, Veterans/Chosen

Army Tactic 8: Rhino Rush

Description: Very similar to the Marine Horde. The main difference is a slight decrease in total number of models to afford Rhino transports for increased mobility and durability of unit.

Units

Troops, Devastators/Havocks, Veterans/Chosen (all in Rhinos or equivalent)

Army Tactic 9: Bikers

Description: Very similar to the Marine horde or Rhino Rush. The difference is using Biker units instead of mounted or foot slogging MEQs.

Units

Bikers, Attack Bikes

Army Tactic 10: Grab and Hold

Description: A variation of the Anvil and Hammer. The army is comprised of 2 sections. The first section is mobile and is sent towards the enemy or an objective in their control. The second section is more static and firepower based and is used to protect those objectives within close proximity to your deployment zone and provide fire support to the mobile section.

Units

Mobile = Troops in Rhinos or equivalents, Terminators, Land Raiders, Dreadnoughts, Vindicators, Jump Infantry

Static = Static Troops, Predators, Devastators/Havocks, Whirlwinds, Defilers

I use the spearhead tactic a lot, 2 rhinos with a Land Riader and a Vindicator, acommpanied by Raptors and a Daemon Prince with wings. This puts a lot of pressure upon the enemy, so it's much likely that they do wrong decisions.

There's the gun line as well. Line up everything you've got, use cover and just go down the line, firing at whatever you can.

I dont find this tactic quite useful, you're an easy bait for any mobile army. I got used to be annihilated with my guard.

Counterpunch: Gun Line with Reserve Assault Troops

Outriders: Like Spearhead, but using Bikes instead of Tanks

Urban Assault: Vindicators with Supporting Infantry

Firepower Attack: Occupy (via Rhino) a building near the enemy deployment zone (preferably overlooking a capture point) with a Devastator Squad. Put a couple of Tactical Squads nearby. Watch the enemy squirm.

Drop pod assault armies are popular for marines; usually units with a large amount of short range firepower deploying by dropping directly onto the enemy and then deploying their firepower into the enemy's face.

There's always the infamous mass footslogger army as well, which can really surprise people when someone lines up a huge number of marines on foot and marches down the board.

All bike armies, or armies that include mainly bikes / jump packs / land speeders are getting more popular from what I have seen as well.

There's always the infamous mass footslogger army as well, which can really surprise people when someone lines up a huge number of marines on foot and marches down the board.

A Variant on that is the 'Crash of Rhinos' tactic. In 2000 points, you can have 8 Rhinos full of Troops, easy. It's surprisingly difficult to stop that many Rhinos.

I run a Footslogging/Gunline 'nilla marine army using a "counts as Vulkan".

Typically I run:

4 10 man Tactical Squads, Flamers, 2 Multi-Melta's, 0-1 Plasma Cannon, 1-2 Lascannons

2 5 man Dev Squads, 2-3 Plasma Cannons, 3-4 Missile Launchers, 0-1 Lascannons

1-2 Dreadnaughts, 1-2 Multi-Meltas (Once I get the bits I'll be adding Flamers instead of Storm Bolters)

1-2 Land Speeders with a Multi-Melta (12" move and shoot)

0-10 Terminators, 0-1 Heavy Flamer, 0-1 Cyclone Missile Launcher, 0-2 Chainfists

0-1 Terminator Captain

1 Counts As Vulkan

Tactics:

Under anything but Annihalation I will always Combat Squad my units to allow the greatest Target allocation. Placing the assault aspects of my Tacticals forward and the Heavy aspects in the rear or in cover. Target enemy armor or HQ with Melta's and Lascannon/Missiles while engaging infantry with assault aspects and Vulkan after a Plasma firestorm. I will typically concentrate fire on a single unit until it is destroyed, and then move on. Typically during turn 1 I manage to destroy 2-3 armored units.

If facing a orc horde list, I will advance and try to assault them, denying their furious charge bonus and additional attacks.

Biggest Weakness: Dawn of War Deployment - Since my Devastator squads must walk on as well as 2 of my Tactical Squads, I lose 1 full round of shooting. My best tactic is to choose to go second and not deploy anything at the start and walk everything on, denying a round of shooting to my opponent and force them to come to me, while I run all my units onto the board turn 1.

I have had good success against all manner of lists, Armor heavy Marine/IG, Orc Horde, Tyranid swarms/Nidzilla. Tau is an issue with their constant cover saves versus 12"+ ranged shots, but I can usually hold them off well enough.

Ok I updated my original post with army tactics 1-4. I'll add the rest when I get a chance. Keep them coming and hopefully we'll have a nice little library of plans for how to use your army.

As always, I'm open to suggestions.

I suppose I would call my tactic Grab and Hold. I have a portion of my force relatively static (2x tac squads, predator) to hold home ground/objective, whilst the rest of my force grabs another objective or two (Sternguard in pod with Libby, Dread (soon to try my new ironclad) and CCW scouts, supported by a vindicator. Larger games add assault squad.

Often works, not so good versus demons in my experience. Any gunline is going to suffer unless they scatter inconveniently...

RoV

I suppose I would call my tactic Grab and Hold. I have a portion of my force relatively static (2x tac squads, predator) to hold home ground/objective, whilst the rest of my force grabs another objective or two (Sternguard in pod with Libby, Dread (soon to try my new ironclad) and CCW scouts, supported by a vindicator. Larger games add assault squad.

Interesting, sounds kind of like a more defensive variation of the Anvil and Hammer.

Some of these general strategies are basically the same thing, with a slight difference in army composition or use, but that's not a bad thing. I tend to run 2 Vindicators and 4 Tactical Squads with transports as an army core, and I can pretty much employ 6 of your 10 general strategies with it; usually Hammer and Anvil. Maybe that's why I like my Tactical Squads...

Archived