alpha legion....

jeremy1391

I though Alpha Legion was about attacking with as many different means and from as many different angles at the same time. Would not an army as diverse as possible best represent that? Some heavy support, some fast attack, infiltrators, deep strikers, all at once.

Lots of infantry. Some Havocs. Basically specialized Infantry units. They're a faction that will have LESS heavy equipment around than say BL, IW's, etc. Chosen seem a good call too.

It's no prob i think to have a leader have either Chosen or Termies as a bodyguard.

It depends on their purpose i think.

In theory you can use whatever you want but it feels more fluffy if the CSM are quite dominant. A few rhino's and a Predator, Dreadnought, Oblits. Those aren't a shame i think. Or bikes.

I'd try to avoid Cult units though. You can take them and they can have a fluffy valid place but i usually feel AL, NL etc are better and more fun without dedicated Cult units.

so something along the lines of a

lord/ sorceror

4 squads csm 2 mounted

3 squads chosen shooty

2 havoc fire support squads

would that be fluffy???

This sounds pretty good, but could be even better with a bit of tweaking. Tactics make the Alpha Legion as much as army selection, so make your army a bit more well-rounded.

Take a Sorcerer with Terminator armour and keep the points cost low. I like your Troops choices. Be sure to make the 2 squads on foot full-strength. Don't max out on Chosen...Elites should be complimentary to your Troops choices. Take a squad of Terminators and a squad of Chosen. Finally, drop a squad of Havocs for a Fast Attack choice.

Well, you could base it off a Hydra Company, which is what the Alpha Legion used.

From what I remember it included:

Captain

Command Squad (Chosen)

2 Five-man Terminator Squads

3 Ten-man Tactical Squad (Regular CSM)

3 Ten-man Assault Squad (Raptors)

3 Ten-man Devastator Squad (Havocs)

As it fits the fluff on the legion fairly well this would be good to base your army off.

I have just started an Alpha Legion army (WIP thread to come in the next couple of days) and the thing I really wanted to get across was the fact that the Alpha legion spend a lot of time hidden away, corrupting a planet from the inside. I also wanted to at least try and get the feel of the 4th ed Legion rules so I have come up with this list, which may not play all that well, but feels quite fluffy and true to thier background.

Chaos Lord

2 x infiltrating Chosen squads

2 x marine squads in rhinos

1 x havok squad

1 x Predator

3 x 9 man summoned daemon squads.

The deamon packs will be made from flagellant models and the like, and represent squads of cultists. Their deepstrike ability represents a local cults ability to 'pop-up' anywhere, from the sewers, back alleys etc..

Hope this helps. ^_^

I have just started an Alpha Legion army (WIP thread to come in the next couple of days) and the thing I really wanted to get across was the fact that the Alpha legion spend a lot of time hidden away, corrupting a planet from the inside. I also wanted to at least try and get the feel of the 4th ed Legion rules so I have come up with this list, which may not play all that well, but feels quite fluffy and true to thier background.

Chaos Lord

2 x infiltrating Chosen squads

2 x marine squads in rhinos

1 x havok squad

1 x Predator

3 x 9 man summoned daemon squads.

The deamon packs will be made from flagellant models and the like, and represent squads of cultists. Their deepstrike ability represents a local cults ability to 'pop-up' anywhere, from the sewers, back alleys etc..

Hope this helps. ;)

I really really like this idea. A shame cultists are out.

I always regretted the absence of a cultist/traitorguard entry in the codex. Even just a basic trooper with 2 heavy weapon types (like say a plasma gun or a flamer) would be fun for cool fluffy armies.

There shouldn't be any limit on using any type of if you can develop good 'count's as rules', for instance Lord Hereticus' idea about cultists, or using 'just turned' loyalist vehicles/units with your army (look at the story about the AL in the CSM codex for inspiration there). Shameless Plug

One of the great things about AL is that you can really justify almost anything under the 'smoke and mirrors' banner, although different players have their own interpretations of what Al should be. I personally, for instance, was never a massive fan of the whole 'AL have all the cultists' mindset; sure, it's a facet of their character, but to me it was a way to make their rules unique from the other Legions in the 3.5 codex, and rather stifled them. However, I'm not against their inclusion in a force, as I do agree that daemons should be kept at a minimum.

On a more positive note, I would suggest ready as much fluff as you can (I particually ike the IA article, for example), and pick out the parts that appeal to you the most.

Well, you could base it off a Hydra Company, which is what the Alpha Legion used.

From what I remember it included:

Captain

Command Squad (Chosen)

2 Five-man Terminator Squads

3 Ten-man Tactical Squad (Regular CSM)

3 Ten-man Assault Squad (Raptors)

3 Ten-man Devastator Squad (Havocs)

As it fits the fluff on the legion fairly well this would be good to base your army off.

This is interesting - where did this info originate?

Archived