Possessed abilities and attached ICs

minigun762

This has been a minor point of confusion for me so I'm hoping to get a good solid answer.

Which abilities on the Possessed chart transfer to an attached IC?

Which abilities will be removed or rendered useless if you attach an IC?

And which abilities will be functional for the Possessed but not transfer to an attached IC?

My understanding is:

Scout is rendered (more) useless

Fleet is rendered useless unless the IC has Fleet too

Furious Charge, Feel No Pain, Rending and Power Weaons are retained by the Possessed but not transfered

Fearless is transfered to the IC (I know its not on the chart but it still affects the IC)

You got that correct, and it is explained on the pages 74-76 of the rulebook, where the universal special rules are described.

"Scout" and "Fleet" are manouvers performed by the whole unit, so if one model (the IC) does not have that ability, the whole unit can not use it.

"Furious Charge" and "Feel no Pain" are rules that are applied to individual models, so it does not matter if some models do not ahve that rule.

"Rending" and "Power Weapon" are not universal Special rules, but extra Equipment the possessed get, and as with Furious Charge or Feel no Pain, individual models can benefit from these rules.

"Fearless" is also described among the universal special rules. It applies whatever the "unit" has. If a not-fearless IC joins a fearless unit, the whole unit still is fearless. If a fearless IC joins a not-fearless unit, the whole unit is not-fearless.

Except for "Rending" and "Power Weapon", those rules and how units and characters with these rules interact are described on the pages 74-76.

You got that correct, and it is explained on the pages 74-76 of the rulebook, where the universal special rules are described.

"Scout" and "Fleet" are manouvers performed by the whole unit, so if one model (the IC) does not have that ability, the whole unit can not use it.

"Furious Charge" and "Feel no Pain" are rules that are applied to individual models, so it does not matter if some models do not ahve that rule.

"Rending" and "Power Weapon" are not universal Special rules, but extra Equipment the possessed get, and as with Furious Charge or Feel no Pain, individual models can benefit from these rules.

"Fearless" is also described among the universal special rules. It applies whatever the "unit" has. If a not-fearless IC joins a fearless unit, the whole unit still is fearless. If a fearless IC joins a not-fearless unit, the whole unit is not-fearless.

Except for "Rending" and "Power Weapon", those rules and how units and characters with these rules interact are described on the pages 74-76.

Awesome thanks. Sounds like I have it correct but its always good to get a confirmation.

The sad thing is, it makes Possessed even worse as far as a bodyguard unit goes. :D

i think its better to take a chosen unit with a power armor IC and a terminator squad for a termie armor IC

I would agree, the thing that drew me to the Possessed was oddly enough them being Fearless. Its the only unit outside of Cult Troops that you can put your Chaos Lord in and not lose his Fearless bonus and since I play Undivided, I thought would be nice. Plus paired with a Daemon Weapon, I get alot of S5 attacks which = fun! :)

Looking at the Chaos codex it would a appear that if you want your lord to keep Fearless, then he could travel with spawn or oblits. Oblits can't ride a rhino, but I don't see anything that prevents spawn from rhino travel. Footslogging with oblits or spawn means you slow and purposeful movement. I deepstrike my lord with termies or raptors, but that is just the play style, I prefer. Spawn though slow and purposeful, it appears because they are 'beast' they can fleet in the shooting phase, so that may add some speed, IMHO.

Looking at the Chaos codex it would a appear that if you want your lord to keep Fearless, then he could travel with spawn or oblits. Oblits can't ride a rhino, but I don't see anything that prevents spawn from rhino travel. Footslogging with oblits or spawn means you slow and purposeful movement. I deepstrike my lord with termies or raptors, but that is just the play style, I prefer. Spawn though slow and purposeful, it appears because they are 'beast' they can fleet in the shooting phase, so that may add some speed, IMHO.

Beasts/cavalry cannot be put in transports.

Archived