Killing Land Raiders

da_doktor

Hi all,

I am very much a newbie to WH40K and looking at setting up an army. Just wondering what sorts of wargear/units are best for taking out land raiders (and the like) and what are the most effective tactics?

Thansk all in advance!! :D

MMM, which means mobile multi-meltas. Attack bikes, speeders, dreadnoughts, meltaguns in pods or rhinos, and don't forget to put pintle-mounted mms on your own LRs.

All of this, plus Melta Bombs as well.

It's AV 14 all round. You need Melta to reliably crack it. Lascannon can do it, but you need a bundle of 'em to make it reliable.

am going to start playtesting 5 man command squad, with apothecary and 4 x melta in a cheap razorback soon. mobile, hard hitting, no wasted points... will wait to see if they're worth the points though, i've got reservations about the cost (will depend on how big a difference the feel no pain makes)

am going to start playtesting 5 man command squad, with apothecary and 4 x melta in a cheap razorback soon. mobile, hard hitting, no wasted points... will wait to see if they're worth the points though, i've got reservations about the cost (will depend on how big a difference the feel no pain makes)

The trouble with meltagunning vehicles is that to do it you'll almost always be close to enemy infantry (unless your opponent is stupid), so you want anti-infantry ability too.

Also, 4 Meltaguns is a bit overkill. I'd drop 2 of them, take the Company Champion (who, with WS5 and his free Power Weapon, is great anti-infantry) and maybe a Power Fist, or else give 2 guys Melta Bombs. That gives you a range of options including Meltagun shots, anti-infantry ability and the ability to Assault either the vehicle (if it survives) or the passengers (if any) fairly successfully.

Vindicators are also extremely effective against Land Raiders. It's a seriously large target, so even if your shot scatters, you are still going to hit the tank most of the time, and it's S10, which is enough to really put a hurt on a Land Raider.

I wouldn't use them against a stock Land Raider (the superior range of the TL Lascannons makes this a poor matchup), but I've used them (I take them in pairs when I play with them) more than once against Crusaders (and would do the same against Redeemers, but haven't faced one yet).

2 meltas isn't enough at all, you've a roughly 50% chance of penetrating at close range, and not guaranteed 2 hits. the high number of meltas is for use vs other things aswell (nob bikers, MC's etc)

One of my gaming mates many armies is an armoured column of Chaos, including 1-3 land raiders depending on the game size, and for the 1 LR 1500-1750ish range (havent brought my marines to above 2k yet in a game) and to counter his mobility, especially that LR that shields the following rhinos, I drop a dread with multi-melta, librarian warp in some sternguard (with one melta gun and 4xcombimelta), a landspeeder with a multi-melta/flamer, and then my main ranged force of 4 lascannon shots (not depending on this but it is there). The sternguard squad has a pretty good chance of popping the LR themselves, but I may try my other options first so that the sternguard may shoot the innards. Either way it comes down to massed melta weapons. Nothing else the Space Marines host can really deal with it besides that from shooting. Power fists and chain fists/dread CCW can do it too (and the melta bombs as included in 'melta weapons' above) but being an often moving vehicle, the LR is much easier taken down with some shooting attacks from melta weapons.

The trouble isn't necessarily in just cracking open the land raider itself: the problem lies in what to do about the infantry (likely the very scary Terminators) who are going to walk out after you blow the tank to kingdom come. If you can do it from a range, you're in pretty good shape, as most things a Land Raider will carry need to be relatively close to do damage. The only problem with melta weaponry is that they leave you just a bit too close to whatever pops out for comfort. In terms of points, the trade-off is usually worth it, but it'll probably cost you the means you just used to open the Land Raider (which would probably be peachy to open the armor of whatever was inside).

My vote would probably go for a Multi-Melta mounted on a Landspeeder swooping around from an out-of-the-way angle to get the shot off. This leaves whatever tasty fellows were inside (often Assault termies in this day and age) forced to choose between dealing with the tank-hunting speeder and getting side-tracked or continuing onto their destination. Either way, you take the advantage.

There's also the "ignore the Land Raider" strategy.

1) Channel it with your own light vehicles (Rhinos are great for steering the LR away from where it wants to go)

2) Spread your forces out in a fashion that they can mutually support each other while only presenting poor targets for shooting and assault from the troops that it carries.

4) If you're mobile, stay away from it.

From a Killhammer perspective, Land Raiders are often a nut that's so hard to crack, it's not worth the trouble. So if you can't kill relatively easily it don't focus your army on it. Go after the other units that your opponent is fielding and concentrate firepower on them first. Upthread, someone talked about a sternguard squad with melta and combi melta, a melta dread and other units all going straight for the enemy tank... I'm not sure that's the wisest course of action much of the time.

Of course, I find that I don't have to think about how to fit in anti-Raider meta in my army, since if the points level supports using a Land Raider, I'm probably fielding one of my own. They're actually halfway decent meta against themselves and carry better meta (TH Termies) more often than not.

1) Channel it with your own light vehicles (Rhinos are great for steering the LR away from where it wants to go)

My opponent tried to to just this with my redeemer, but unfortunately you can safely ram a rhino since it can never damage you, and strangely enough I always roll a 5 or 6 on penetrating table when ramming B) Now if only my multimelta's were as effective in taking out transports ;)

My opponent tried to to just this with my redeemer, but unfortunately you can safely ram a rhino since it can never damage you, and strangely enough I always roll a 5 or 6 on penetrating table when ramming B) Now if only my multimelta's were as effective in taking out transports :P

If he parks within 3" of you, all of your ramming isn't going to penetrate very often and he can still channel you where he wants.

That's 5+d6 armor pen, meaning you need a 6 to glance. 3-5.9" is still relatively safe. If he parked at 6" or more, he gets what he deserves when it goes boom.

Can you explain to me what you mean by channeling? I'm not familiar with this term, maybe cause I usually don't talk about 40k in English :lol:

You can't move a vehicle through another vehicle. So you use Rhinos as a mobile barrier. Think Demolition Derby.

Again he can always ram you. That and can't the redeemer take a melta of it's own? Don't have the codex in front of me at the moment, sorry.

I wouldn't rely on meltabombs too much either..if he moves even an inch you now need a 4+ to hit him. If he moves more than 6, you need a 6...and you only get ONE shot, which is the worst part. Well worth taking for only five points, but certainly not something I'd reliably go after a land raider (especially a redeemer) with. If you miss, rest assured he's backing up and putting that template down across your face. :unsure:

Can you explain to me what you mean by channeling? I'm not familiar with this term, maybe cause I usually don't talk about 40k in English <_<

Think of putting stones in a river, you can channel or divert the flow by placing obstacles in its way. You can do the same thing with enemy units in 40k, you can limit where they can move.

Archived