Best anti-MEQ?

ExarPucc

I have an upcoming 1500 tournament, and while I've tailored my list to my liking, I also know what the meta in my area is.

It's MEQ, and lots of it. Of the 12-16 players anticipated at the upcoming game, I'd say there will be 1-2 Ork players, 1-2 Guard players, maybe a Nid or Tau army, and the rest is MEQ of assorted flavors.

Sure I can spam Vindis. That covers two bases, but I don't want to do that. What else looks good for anti-Meq? Vulkan Flamer/Melta spam? HB Army of doom? Curious to your thoughts.

Power weapons are effective, but you're only hitting/killing 25% of your attacks you attempt. And how best to get those weapons there. Sure, vanguard squad could be funtimes. Or LC termies, but I don't see many other options for tossing a lot of power weapon attacks down someones throat.

I'd take a balanced force tbh, not just Tacticals. It does also sound like a tournament where I would break out my 4 Plasma Cannon Devastator Squad. The other opponents are hordes, and against Marines Plasma Cannon are incredibly useful, albeit somewhat inaccurate.

Taking Plasma Pistols for your Assault Squads would be a good idea also.

You're going to have to assume that you'll face not just Power Armoured Troops, but also heavy and medium armour, and Terminators. Again, Plasma and Power Weapons for Terminators, but Melta are also good against MEQ+ and excel against the armoured vehicles too.

I would highly recommend one of the following:

Sternguard with a Librarian (AP3 bolter shots deployable each turn)

Assault Terminators (especially the TH/SS variety for whacking characters or dreadnoughts) in a Land Raider Redeemer

I'd take a balanced force tbh, not just Tacticals. It does also sound like a tournament where I would break out my 4 Plasma Cannon Devastator Squad. The other opponents are hordes, and against Marines Plasma Cannon are incredibly useful, albeit somewhat inaccurate.

Taking Plasma Pistols for your Assault Squads would be a good idea also.

You're going to have to assume that you'll face not just Power Armoured Troops, but also heavy and medium armour, and Terminators. Again, Plasma and Power Weapons for Terminators, but Melta are also good against MEQ+ and excel against the armoured vehicles too.

Well, the 6 tacts would be maybe 2/5 of the force. Rest would be the standard assortment of goodies. Should be interesting.

I think a balanced Tactical squad would be a good start. Either:

10 man, Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun and TL Heavy Bolter Razorback.

This is a dakka squad, able to shoot through MEQ armor nicely. Actually the sheer number of shots from the Heavy Bolter will kill more than 1 shot from the Missile Launcher or Plasma Gun, odd huh? This squad will also help take out Rhinos which can be important.

10 man, Meltagun/Flamer, Sarge with Power Weapon/Power Fist, Rhino

This is a rapid fire/assault squad, Stay together as 10 guys and run around in the Rhino, once you're close hop out, rapid fire and then hopefully charge (or be charged). Power Fists are actually more killy than Power Weapons so thats something to keep in mind.

Also people will tend to ignore the Flamer but if you hit 3 MEQs with a Flamer thats roughly the same as 1 Melta/Plasma shot. So the question ends up, can I hit more than 3 MEQs with a Flamer? If yes, take the Flamer, if no, take the Meltagun.

Typically I'd leave Plasma Pistols at home, they're just too expensive for what they do. Again, 1 Plasma shot = 3 Flamer hits so in alot of cases, 2 Flamers will net you more kills against MEQ

Devastators with a combination of Plasma Cannons and Missile Launchers will be perfect. Able to handle MEQs, horde and light/medium vehicles. They're only really wasted against AV13-14.

For a HQ unit. I'd take a Librarian with a Jump Pack, Force Dome and Avenger. Add that to 10 Assault Marines with a Power Fist Sarge. You now have a fast moving assault squad with a Force Weapon, Power Fist, a MEQ killing template AND a 5+ Inv save. Not a bad deal for 390 points.

Archived