Inquistor list/fluff query

Luku

I already have a 1750pt list of Space marine scouts (here) and I'm contemplating adding in an Inquisitor and some Stormtroopers to replace the HQ's I already have and maybe a squad or two...I'm also looking for reasons/idea as to why an Inquisitor and his troops would group up with a large bunch of scouts...

Any other suggestions? Taking into account I'm looking for a light force with some hard hitting stuff (To fit in with the scouts) so no tanks of hugeness...

I'm open to ideas/ C&C...

Thankyou in advance

Luku

You won't be able to use allied Inquisitor Lords to replace the mandatory HQ you must select from Codex: Space Marines. Similarly, you cannot use Inquisitorial Storm Troopers to replace the initial two Troops choices that must be selected in any legal army list. The required 1 HQ + 2 Troops must still be taken from your base army list before you are allowed to ally in anything from the Inquisition.

That said, there is nothing at all stopping you from fluffing the force as actually being led by the allied Inquisitor. -_-

I assume that you will keep the base army as Space Marines rather than turn it into an Inquisition list with inducted Marines because of the limitations specified in the Inquisitorial codexes. In a DH army, you are allowed to induct no more than a single Scout Troops unit (Witch Hunters don't have this restriction, oddly), and none of the newer units in the latest Marines codex are available at all (e.g., Scout bikers, Land Speeder Storm).

1 HQ

1 E

2 T

1 FA

I'm not entire sure why a large bunch of scouts would be operating together to begin with, but as far as why the inquisitor is there, perhaps he's investigating... something. A chaos cult perhaps, or a planet where he suspects daemonic influence. Whatever it is, I'm sure he would need a large cadre of intelligence-gathering soldiers working for him. If a large group of space marine scouts were nearby, and he was on friendly terms with the chapter (or a particular individual in the scout group), he might request that they help him out in his current endeavor.

As far as effectiveness, it's generally held that Daemonhunters inquisitors are better at shooting (due to psycannons and mystics) while Witch Hunters inquisitors are better at close combat (due to crusaders and mancatchers). An assassin is always a good investment, especially for a light, hard-hitting force. And of course you'll want storm troopers with either plasma or melta weapons, to cover the two areas scouts are worst at (killing MEQs and vehicles).

I recommend against the Vindicare. He hits on 2's, but only wounds on 4's. And while he lowers the target's cover save, they still get one. Add all this together, and he's only causing maybe 2 wounds a game. Factor in that the most dangerous models often have multiple wounds, and the Vindicare is far, far below an acceptable power level.

I'd recommend a Callidus. Gives you lots of tricks up your sleeve, and can really help deal with targets that the rest of your army is having trouble with. Alternatively, an Eversor can be an excellent aid in close combat, dealing with bigger things that your scouts might be comfortable with.

Actually, the Callidus doesn't hit all that hard. She's a scalpel: deadly when used carefully and precisely, but otherwise quite fragile. She cannot stand a protracted engagement (actually, none of the assassins can) nor is she capable of putting serious hurt on solid units. Take her because of A Word in Your Ear -- which is almost worth her points cost alone -- and the ability to guarantee a surprise on your terms thanks to Polymorphene. She can effectively hurt small/weak units, and can take on isolated characters on that initial charge. She's subtle, don't expect her to force a victory single-handedly.

If you want an assault hammer, the Eversor's your man. With a bit of luck, this guy really can swing a game entirely into your favor with a solid charge. You can put him up against anything. He mows down carnifexes like wheat, blows holes in mobs of hordes (you gotta love that explosion when he dies!), and I've even used him to single-handedly eliminate entire units of plague marines in one go. It hurts when he whiffs his dice, but when he's on he's really on. Worth every point you spend on him.

So should I make a little tornado out of green stuff, with a couple clawed hands sticking out, and call it an Eversor assassin named Taz? :)

As much as other people have mentioned, Assassins don't do well on their own... if you're not worried about Kill Points (and some of us aren't!) may I recommend the humble Death Cult Assassin? you can get up to 3 for a single Elites choice, and 3 are about as expensive as any Temple Assassin. Used in tandem (as each is an Independant Character) you can potentially get 12 power weapon attacks on the charge at WS5, S4, I5. There's a lot to be said for that into the right sorts of targets.

edit: I should point out its 2 wounds per model, with a 5+ invulnerable save. They're decently durable, but not a Space Marine.

Yes, they do suck for Kill Point games.. but most of my games always end up objective based, so I use them with delight and take glory and pride every time they kick somethings butt or get seriously underestimated... or when they force entire squads to take the long way around and get shot to death because they don't want to be charged by the power weapons.

Why not? This is the eversor we're talking about, not the culexus.

Oop, got them mixed up...

Okay, the assasins are definatly something to think about...any of the other options/units any good?

Archived