Alternate acolytes and Inquisitors

SoulReaver296

alright, i am new here, and searches came up blank for this topic. I run a pure GK list, but have been thinking about adding some ISTs and maybe even an Inquisitor with power armor (or Inq Lord). The main issue i have, though, is that i don't like the inquisitor models, and my acolytes would have power armor and bolt pistols. What do/would you use to represent them? (i can GS, so making it feel inquisitorial shouldn't be that hard, but the closer the base, the better)

side question, do you prefer the Kasrkin or regular Stormtrooper models for ISTs?

thanks

I use some Space Marine Scouts with shotguns for my Acolytes.. who wear carapace armor and at the moment have shotguns and bolt pistols.

I also prefer the Kasrkin models for ISTs... to me the regular Stormtrooper old model says "deep striker/stealth" which isn't the grenadier approach of ISTs in my mind.

As far as the Inquisitor goes.. I'd make something from Imperial Guard models perhaps.. or Necromunda.. or your own kit bashed approach with old Space Marine parts and whathaveyou ^_^

*Shrug* To me the kasrkin models seem to clean, they don't look like something that could stare a daemon in the face and not have their balls explode. The older models seem more adept and skilled than the clean kasrkin they also have alot more detail to play with.

*Shrug* To me the kasrkin models seem to clean, they don't look like something that could stare a daemon in the face and not have their balls explode. The older models seem more adept and skilled than the clean kasrkin they also have alot more detail to play with.

Yeah, but the old models look like Helghast :D old and horrible. The Kasrkin can be painted/de-caled/modelled to look as bad-ass and heavily-equipped as you want, and even done in a basic paint-scheme (like mine are), they still look like special-forces units. 'Clean' is good, I hate it when models 'melt' into different features because of weird design or bad moulding.

OT:

alright, i am new here, and searches came up blank for this topic. I run a pure GK list, but have been thinking about adding some ISTs and maybe even an Inquisitor with power armor (or Inq Lord). The main issue i have, though, is that i don't like the inquisitor models, and my acolytes would have power armor and bolt pistols. What do/would you use to represent them? (i can GS, so making it feel inquisitorial shouldn't be that hard, but the closer the base, the better)

side question, do you prefer the Kasrkin or regular Stormtrooper models for ISTs?

thanks

Already done your side question. On the other stuff, yes, the Inquisitor models suck and their WYSIWYG gear is horrible (yeah, I want powerswords and combi-meltas on my HQ, not a PSYCANNON, which actually does something. Nice one GW). However, due to the fact nothing new has been released (and most people have no idea what Daemonhunters are supposed to look like), 'count-as' and converted stuff is the way to go. For example, I have a spare PAGK model with a psycannon in my Inquisitors retinue, to 'carry' his psycannon (which we're allowed to do). For game purposes, if we need to draw LOS etc I just remove the PAGK guy, then put him back. If the Inquisitor dies, he leaves as well.

As for Acolytes, the only thing you should take on them is Artificer armour. Their job description reads 'loyal bullet magnet', so equip accordingly.

Adding IST's is a great idea, but you should only be adding them for plasma/melta support. If you do bring an Inquisitor, you should only bring the Lord. I (and I suspect 90% of people who play Malleus) use the following;

Lord, psycannon

2 x heavy bolter servitors, plasma cannon servitor

2 x Sages, 2 x Mystics

(202 points)

Then, depending on what else I'm spending my points on, I tend to add 1-2 Artificer Acolytes to soak up damage (they're 23 points apiece). With the exception of the power armour (which comes standard) on the Lord, the rest of the retinue wear rice paper for armour. Cover saves help but when they get hit by flamers or get caught in the open by barrage weapons, they drop like flies. Acolytes solve the problem by absorbing heaps of wounds.

The Elite Malleus Inquisitors (and this is true of Hereticus as well) are simply not worth it, unless you wanna bring Malleus allies to an IG/SM army (because the Grandmaster is a much better HQ ally than the Lord). In that circumstance, this is what you wanna bring (if you're feeling mean, you can also spam it against Daemons in a Malleus army);

Inquisitors w/Sanctuary, 2 x Mystics

(47 points)

Drop Sanctuary when not facing Daemons. In all other cases, stick these guys inside a transport (or at least behind a tough tank) and laugh as enemy Deepstrikers start to die. They're especially awesome when deployed nearby a Vindicator or a plasma-sponson Demolisher, and if you combine their Mystic support with a Libby's 'Null Zone' you're literally going to make Daemon players cry. You can only get one of these twerps in an IG/SM base, but in a Malleus army feel free to spam them in Elite against Drop Pod armies or Daemons.

It really depends on what you're going for. I use a Hereticus Inquisitor Lady as my primary HQ.. I've been toying with adding an Elites DH Inquisitor to explain why I have some Grey Knights and stuff as well. It can work, but the more limited retinue numbers change the game a bit. Really you have to look at the role you want to play.. I wouldn't do an Elites close combat Hereticus Inquisitor.. I'd just do that unit with a Lord, mostly because of the limited retinue size.

For a shooty unit.. I think you could cram that onto an Elites choice, but the Lord is just so much cooler and more effective ;)

If you're adding a Malleus lord, the shooty route is probably the best. Hereticus IMO works better for close range/close combat, than it does for long range destruction.

I had a friend kitbash an Inquisitor Lord model for me from a Marine Terminator, a beaky helmet, some GK arms (NFW with the blade replaced by an Aquila to represent a Null Rod, and a Psycannon), along with a bit of green stuff and some extra decorations.

For my acolytes, I use some extra Kasrkin grenade launcher troops with the barrels of their weapons modified to look like multi-barrelled guns (stormbolters and carapace armor, to provide extra firepower and protection for the warrior retinue members).

Why should you only bring the lord? maybe at 2000 pts, but at 1000 a small elite squad can drop the mystics, pick up an acolyte to absorb an extra wound and still pump alot of firepower down-range.

Because the Lord has 'Iron Will', Ld10 and power armour included in his base cost. 'Iron Will' is perhaps the most compelling reason to take him; it makes him better than 'Fearless' or 'ATSKNF'.

In an IG or SM army, for sure bring the Elite Inquisitor. But in a Malleus army, the Inquisitor Lord is just such a great HQ, he's too good to pass up.

If you're adding a Malleus lord, the shooty route is probably the best. Hereticus IMO works better for close range/close combat, than it does for long range destruction.

Yeah, thats really how I see it too. The Malleus have some excellent shooty support retinues (Sages, Mystics, the psycannon on the Lord), while the Hereticus have excellent close-combat support retinues (Crusaders, power-armour man-catcher Acolytes, Chiurgeons, the 'His Will Be Done' psychic power).

Inquisitor Lord Hector Rex would disagree.

I was talking about the GW models; nothing FW makes is anything but epic. And yes, Hector Rex is next on my shopping list for Daemonhunters; I'm going to be using him to model my Grandmaster (he's even got the SS and the kick-ass armour done, might even keep the same head). I've been hearing a lot of whinging about his retinue; personally I'm thrilled that there is a Mystic model included (hopefully that can be bought seperately when the next IA book comes out, because I want two for my Inq Lord retinue), and the other two aren't so bad.

For my acolytes, I use some extra Kasrkin grenade launcher troops with the barrels of their weapons modified to look like multi-barrelled guns (stormbolters and carapace armor, to provide extra firepower and protection for the warrior retinue members).

I would personally stick with Artificer Acolytes (same cost, much better bullet absorber). It's not like you lack storm bolters on your Troops <_< and frankly a few extra bolter rounds at 24" isn't going to do much. The real bite of the unit comes from the gun-servitors and the Lord, and they're all firing at 36", so you're Acolyes probably won't get much oppertunity to contribute.

Archived