Blood Angel Project Log

So it turns out I know a bunch of people who play 40k, which means I need to hurry the heck up and get my army ready! And a project log is basically the best way for me to show off a bit, plus get some good feedback and keep me honest with fielding my army asap!

You can see the army list I intend to field here (the 1250 point list) so eventually I'll have to paint all those models, most are in transit or need to be built!

But baby steps! I joined up with the Librarium Painting Challenge to kick me in the butt, so to speak, and get working on these guys! I've committed to painting 1 Furioso Dreadnought and a 10 man Assault squad.

I've been playing since 2nd edition so I have a really awesome old pewter Dread which has some real heft to it. But... no more words... pictures!

Dreadnought Front

gallery_18930_3000_98547.jpg

Dreadnought Rear

gallery_18930_3000_166680.jpg

So far I've just based him black, he's gotten the 1st coat of red (Clotted Red, Reaper Master Series) and 1st coat of brown for the scrolls and skulls.

The assault squad is even further along...

gallery_18930_3000_39456.jpg

Hey sarcasm! Go me! ...but yeah I've got some work to do on those guys. Since eventually I'll be working on two 10 man assault squads, the first 5-10 guys will be pretty vanilla to save me some time, but the second 10 I'll try to convert into some better poses...

And lastly, to whet your appetite... this is what I'm going for with the paint job, but this was years ago, so I've gotten better at painting now. So expect no drybrushing, better blacklining, nice freehand, realistic highlighting.

Marine 1:

gallery_18930_3000_87446.jpg

gallery_18930_3000_144239.jpg

And feel free to check out the gallery, I've got pics of some slightly converted AoBR termies that I picked up for cheap in there...

Looking good, I especially like the tac marine. The paint on the dreadnought looks to be a bit thick though... so you might want to try and water down your paints and apply more than one or two coats, since you are dealing with red. Also go pick up a mechrite red foundation, that'll help you a lot.

Looking good, I especially like the tac marine. The paint on the dreadnought looks to be a bit thick though... so you might want to try and water down your paints and apply more than one or two coats, since you are dealing with red. Also go pick up a mechrite red foundation, that'll help you a lot.

Its the primer that looks like crap. Its quite grainy and I've stripped it off most of my other models. I'll have to consider if I want to restrip this guy again... I have the new GW black primer which should be much smoother. Plus acetone works really quickly on metal models...

I do both, apply more than one coat and add magic wash to my paints, again its the primer that sucks.

It looks better in person I swear!

Oh hell yeah... I'm sure it looks better in person... all mini's do. It's unfair to show a picture of mini's up close because then you see every little flaw, whereas under normal lighting and distance they look ten times better. No, they do look good... just wanted to share a tip in case you didn't know.

Some primers really suck... better luck with the GW black! Also... make sure both the model is warm and so is the paint when you shoot. I hate priming in the cold... it's so hard to get it right sometimes.

Some primers really suck... better luck with the GW black! Also... make sure both the model is warm and so is the paint when you shoot. I hate priming in the cold... it's so hard to get it right sometimes.

Yeah, I really needed primer and my local GW store was out of black, so I picked up some Armory Black and my local hobby shop. And it is quite poor, its a far more matte black but it almost looks grey. Plus its a little grainier than the GW stuff.

Luckily I've got some of the GW new formula for the Assault Squad.

Plus I paint/prime in my basement... which is quite cold... so I try to warm up the primer during the second round of priming after the poor performance the first time... the more you know!

Sounds good to me. :) I think we've all succumbed to impatience when we've ran out of something... I primed a group of GK Termies with some automotive primer... and then started painting them and it looked like total sh*t. This was years ago... I have since then learned to be patient.

Keep us posted.

So Update time!

I've started blocking in the Boltgun Metal on the Dread. It looks kind of crappy for two reasons 1) I hate using watered down metallics and 2) I block stuff in kind of sloppily and go back and touch things up.

gallery_18930_3000_58923.jpg

gallery_18930_3000_344148.jpg

There are also somethings that are Boltgun Metal that I need to go back and paint Black, then I need to run the touch-up coats of all the colors, wash the Boltgun Metal, highlight it. Add another Red coat, paint a coat of blood red. Get a lighter layer of bone color.... and the list go on. So clearly he still has a way to go. If you check out the back pic, the metal looks really bad, which is both because of the close-up and because the primer sucks. I'm considering stripping it down completely and starting over on him. ...so we shall see about that.

I'm using this Furioso as a quick reference to what is/could be metal, armor, pipe... etc.

On to other progress! I've put together at least 5 men from my Assault Squad, I just base coated them as I'm typing this, but here are their un-base coated states.

The whole squad:

gallery_18930_3000_38085.jpg

My favorite two, I really like how their poses came out.

gallery_18930_3000_176230.jpg

I like how most of them came out, they might be facing down a little more than I'd like. I still need to drill out holes for the bolt pistols and such. But the poses are solid.

Plus I have some new additions!

gallery_18930_3000_376570.jpg

Another 10 Man Assault Squad plus a Predator round out my 1250 point list... Now I just need to get all these guys done so I have a complete army! (oh and the 10 man tactical squad and the Death Co and the Chaplain....)

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been working on my technique a little bit because that was getting rusty from last time I painted some BA. So I've been running with only one of my Assault Marines til I like where he ends up.

He is mostly done here, just need to finish up the plasma pistol (which want to be a little less bright gold), the targeter, eyes and the jump pack (in its entirety) but I like the outcome so far. Oh and I suppose I have to base him still.

gallery_18930_3000_162013.jpg

Let me know what you think!

HAH! I finished him!

So I guess I've gone for a bit of fluff and ignored some other stuff. So Right shoulder is a white blood drop for 3rd Co. Left Shoulder is the company badge. and since I can't paint yellow (...yet) the helmet is just red instead of the yellow to denote Assault Squads.

gallery_18930_3000_223433.jpg

gallery_18930_3000_117838.jpg

gallery_18930_3000_243788.jpg

gallery_18930_3000_199796.jpg

Things I'd like to point out that don't show up in the pictures.

1) there is a white blood drop on the top of his jump pack, you can just barely see it in the 3rd pic

2) I like free hand more than decals, it adds more personality if you ask me.

C&C welcome!

4 more guys to come within a day or two, They are almost done (I probably could have finished them tonight, but I was getting jumpy) but I still have their jump packs to do, but those go quick.

And I stripped by dread. I disliked severely how that primer came out compared to the new GW primer I used on these guys, so I threw him in acetone!

I quite like the basing ;)

Was that a case of getting a file and making the indentations? Or did you use something else.

The freehand you've done is of great quality, well done and the overall paintjob is definitely above table top. Keep up the great work :)

I quite like the basing :)

Was that a case of getting a file and making the indentations? Or did you use something else.

The freehand you've done is of great quality, well done and the overall paintjob is definitely above table top. Keep up the great work :tu:

Thanks!

Yeah you hit it on the head. It was an old tutorial GW put out a while ago that I really liked. I added the flock and static grass and bit of rubble myself. Its really simple but I like the effect and it stands out better than other basing methods.

I think these look really great! Keep up the good work.

I don't see why you would have to paint there helmets yellow, sure it's in the fluff, but I like it that they are red, it looks good as it is. :)

Oh, and I really like the blood drop and the wing on his jumppack, it really caught my eye, gives the model that extra something. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I think these look really great! Keep up the good work.

Oh, and I really like the blood drop and the wing on his jumppack, it really caught my eye, gives the model that extra something. ;)

Thanks! Here is some more free hand for ya!

Also I believe I am 35% complete on my LPC vow. I have 5 more Assault Marines to go and I've completely stripped my Furioso and I'll be rebuilding and repainting him.

Oh well, here are the dudes.. (without white russians)

Front:

gallery_18930_3000_32022.jpg

Left:

gallery_18930_3000_40877.jpg

Right:

gallery_18930_3000_46139.jpg

Whole 5 Man Squad:

gallery_18930_3000_61594.jpg

So I really like the old pewter models because of the weight that they had. Made them feel more substantial. Plus these plastic guys are too easy to tip over.... so... I present you with the following solution!

gallery_18930_3000_44569.jpg

I just went to Gander Mountain or any sporting good store that has fishing supplies, picked up the smallest version of lead plumb they had and just squished it with the large pliers and super glued it to the bottom.

Success!

Now to the rest of my guys....

I really like these, the embody the 'grim, dark' of the 40K realm while still looking realistic!! Probs some of my favourite BA minis that I've seen!!

May I make a suggestion? Go around the rim of the bases with 'Bestial Brown', I think that will set the minis of a treat and make them look 'complete' - I had to double take the bases to realise that they had actually been done (though when I did I wsa impressed!!) - though that may just be because I really don't like black rimmed bases as they look somewhat incomplete to me... (though I may try it on my Necromunda stuff, to make 'em even darker!! ;) )

As for the yellow helmets - I've never found painting yellow to be too difficult, though I hae only ever done it on small surfaces, so I say give it a go, even if only on a head attached to a sprue to make sure that you have it down to an acceptible standard.

Again sweet minis - cannae wait to see more!!

I really like these, the embody the 'grim, dark' of the 40K realm while still looking realistic!! Probs some of my favourite BA minis that I've seen!!

May I make a suggestion? Go around the rim of the bases with 'Bestial Brown', I think that will set the minis of a treat and make them look 'complete' - I had to double take the bases to realise that they had actually been done (though when I did I wsa impressed!!) - though that may just be because I really don't like black rimmed bases as they look somewhat incomplete to me... (though I may try it on my Necromunda stuff, to make 'em even darker!! :HQ: )

As for the yellow helmets - I've never found painting yellow to be too difficult, though I hae only ever done it on small surfaces, so I say give it a go, even if only on a head attached to a sprue to make sure that you have it down to an acceptible standard.

Again sweet minis - cannae wait to see more!!

Thanks!

Since I'm going for a darker tile look I might consider either a dark grey or dark brown. But I think Bestial is too light for me and wouldn't fit with the basing method I'm going for.

Just glue a nickle in the bottom and you bee fine aswell :D

I used to use two pennies (cause its cheaper!) but GW has started shipping these with slotted bases. If you look at the picture, the slot for the old metal models is still there, but the top is still flat! So the penny/nickel trick doesn't work!

Archived