space wolve thrall support ?

xceptionzero

I have a fair bit of random IG stuff hanging around and was wondering if anyones tried themeing some IG as thralls the human forces on fenris used at the fang and onboard ship?

should i just choose them an IG army to support my SW's or maybe slight modification to suit the theme?

Well theres really two ways to go about this.... you can either use one of the inquisition codices to simulate them, and then take wolves as allies or vice versa.Alternatively you could run two force organization charts.... but that can get hectic.

This idea has been broached before... its certainly not a bad one, but IMHO its really an apocalypse or special session thing to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used some IG before as thralls/pdf forces. Had them in space wolf grey/codex grey camo.

Used catachans to indicate the "barbaric" fenrisians. Valhallians just didnt look right sadly.

I think they looked the part after usign a few SW Bitz to customise them a little.

I liked to think that fluff wise the SW chapter respects its thralls/pdf forces and allows them to use their "colours" so to speak.

I dont see why they wouldnt, on the other hand I dont see thralls as an imperial gaurd legion either.... so most likely their colors would be rather similar to that of Space Wolves themselves.

Have you considered using them as storm troopers ala codex: DaemonHunters? Those are well trained and equiped gaurdsmen, as Id expect to find from a thrall force under the command of Wolves. You can even have two units of them without bending the rules in the slightest.

mm yes indeed sounds very cool.

Would reflect them getting really good gear (for humans anyway).

Putting them in the SW army list would be good as you could give them special rules perhaps..

think im gonna go dig them out fot eh box they have been hibernating in for over 2 years.

maybe give me something to do to make them more fenrisian and special forces esque

that has always been the thing with space wolves, having something different from the norm

If you or your friends have access to the zealots article for the witchunters codex you could try them. In essence guardsmen stats with pistol and CCW with slightly worse armour than a guardsman (I know, it is possible) for a lower points value.

They come in a unit that has slightly higher minimum and maximum numbers than blood claws do. They have a great special rule called here comes the pain that helps them stay in melee.

I plan to run 2 units of 20 with 2 flamers in each as allies in the force I am building and painting at the moment. I model them using a mix of catachan and chaos marauder bits and represent the poor armour save by giving them shields and/or a single shoulder pad in Space Wolf colours. If I can build a model in power armour with an eviscerator I will field a priest with them for the re-roll to hit on the charge.

I will take a picture of them and add it later to give you an idea of how the parts mix for those few people who have not seen these combined before.

Leon

Actually the fluff for Space Wolf Serfs is pretty cool. Each serf is generally armed and armored at all times and are highly respected warriors, they crew all Space Wolf ships and are fully capable of defending them when the SW inevitably launch boarding assaults. Plenty of times an enemy trying to board a SW ship will be shocked to be itself boarded by the SW and the serfs left to defend the ship, not only that, the serfs succeed.

However the Space Wolves do not appear to have any kind of formal organization or anything so organized that you'd call it a PDF per say. During the Age of Apostasy when Fenris was invaded no PDF forces fought back, rather Fenresian Tribesmen, packs of wolves and monsters and the very cold of Fenris itself brought down many of the invaders, while the Space Wolves and their serfs furiously defended the Fang.

I'm planing to use chaos marauders as thralls for my Iron Priest, using guns from IG.

But i could see them having IG type of troop. I just dont know how to represent them in a SW army using the SW dex.

The only legal way would be to take an Inquisitor Ally with Inquisitorial Storm Troopers. I guess it could represent the most hardened and well armed of the serfs fighting together in packs.

Well surely they have an armory for their chapter serfs. After all they defended the fang for most of a decade against the inquisition, and a bit longer against the thousand sons. They had to have some weapons, even if most of them were mounted on the fang itself.

Well surely they have an armory for their chapter serfs. After all they defended the fang for most of a decade against the inquisition, and a bit longer against the thousand sons. They had to have some weapons, even if most of them were mounted on the fang itself.

Perhaps though I'd think the Serfs would include a much higher than normal percentage of... looted weapons retrieved from the battlefield and weapons of personal choice. I always sort of pictured serfs being as bewilderingly varied as the Space Wolves themselves, one walking down a hall in a flak jacket and carying a shotgun, the next with a chainsword and lastpistol strapped to a belt, another in carapace armor with an axe and a lasgun, another with a snub nosed autogun and a knife and so on and so forth.

I think that with an appropriate paint job, the Vostroyans would make excellent Fenrisian Thralls. They have the heavy armor, the impractical wooden-stock weapons, the awesome hats, the heavy coats, the daggers, and most importantly the attitude to not look ashamed in such a ridiculous get-up. Quite like the Space Wolves, really. :-)

And what, in real life, were the Rus(s) if not Russianized Vikings on the Volga? Rename your Fenrisian Imperial Guard "The Varangian Guard", and Bob's your uncle. In our world, the Varangian Guard were the Viking-descended Rus bodyguard of the Byzantine Emperor, ruler of one of the largest successor states of the Roman Empire, so it ties in well enough with w40k fluff. Also, problem solved as far as all those big "V"s on the Vostroyans are concerned. I think I may have found a new use for all those Vostroyans I have sitting around!

Check out this terrific, very Wolfy paint job on CoolMiniorNot

One practical consideration is that the Vostroyan models are so large that the Space Wolves models would have to be True-scaled or at least embiggened: making them stand up straight rather than in that pervy legs-akimbo stance, at the very least.

Actually the fluff for Space Wolf Serfs is pretty cool. Each serf is generally armed and armored at all times and are highly respected warriors, they crew all Space Wolf ships and are fully capable of defending them when the SW inevitably launch boarding assaults. Plenty of times an enemy trying to board a SW ship will be shocked to be itself boarded by the SW and the serfs left to defend the ship, not only that, the serfs succeed.

However the Space Wolves do not appear to have any kind of formal organization or anything so organized that you'd call it a PDF per say. During the Age of Apostasy when Fenris was invaded no PDF forces fought back, rather Fenresian Tribesmen, packs of wolves and monsters and the very cold of Fenris itself brought down many of the invaders, while the Space Wolves and their serfs furiously defended the Fang.

Yes, I think we have to distinguish between the general populace - iron-age pesudo-Vikings duking it out on the longboats against all comers, be they Fenrisians, Orks, or funny-looking Humans (Cardinal Bucharis' off-world Imperial Guard, what have you) - and the highly trained serf population of the Fang, who are not allowed to go back and tell that the Gods are really Space Marines. These highly trained and widely (intra-galactically!) travelled Serfs surely must be well organised, regimented, and outfitted. I mean, they crew space ships!

These highly trained and widely (intra-galactically!) travelled Serfs surely must be well organised, regimented, and outfitted. I mean, they crew space ships!

No more than the Space Wolves themselves I'd think. The Space Wolves are a Chapter of Space Marines that run around defending the Imperium against all foes from one side of the galaxy to another and they're strictest organizational unit is a pack... which are never reinforced, their roles change as the pack slowly whittles down over time.

I wouldn't expect the serfs to be much more strictly regimented, but no less effective either.

Hmmm i'm liking the idea of having some serf allies, can anyone point me in the direction of some fluff for them so i can read up on it?

The most you'll find is from the first three Space Wolf Novels, Space Wolf, Ragnar's Claw and Grey Hunter. Though Ragnar's Claw has less than the other two. Space Wolf and Grey Hunter give some decent insights into the Space Wolves and how they fight, the role of the serfs in ship combat and so forth.

I was toying with this same idea about two months ago but gave up on it because, short of APOC, you can't field IG as allies with a SW force. I've always thought about it though, after reading the books dealing with the navigator houses and thier PDF troops joined by the wolfblade.

G

Perhaps though I'd think the Serfs would include a much higher than normal percentage of... looted weapons retrieved from the battlefield and weapons of personal choice. I always sort of pictured serfs being as bewilderingly varied as the Space Wolves themselves, one walking down a hall in a flak jacket and carying a shotgun, the next with a chainsword and lastpistol strapped to a belt, another in carapace armor with an axe and a lasgun, another with a snub nosed autogun and a knife and so on and so forth.

So what that means is you model them like that, and they all count as having a lasgun and close combat weapon for the sake of game. Kind of like the Wood Elf Wardancers or Gladegaurd from fantasy, or the Fanatical mobs of the Red Corsairs from Apocalypse.

You can get IG with a SW force GAK, just take them from demon/witchhunters. They both have inquisitorial stormtroopers, wich IMHO are closer to what youd find in thralls anyways.

If i did something like this and used inquisition stormtroopers as serf allies would i need to take an inquisition HQ for them as well? Ideally i'd like to use a WGBL to act as a kind of overseer for the unit but maybe thats just me wanting to have my cake and eat it :tu:

I'm working right now in my SW thralls. I'm keeping them as viking as I can, mixing IG pieces with marauders and imperials. I'm even considerind using vikings from another range. I see them as fenrisian tribsmen with only some scraps of technology. But that only because its part of my fluff.

An old white dwarf showed catachans mixed with marauders to create a feral IG regiment.

So what that means is you model them like that, and they all count as having a lasgun and close combat weapon for the sake of game. Kind of like the Wood Elf Wardancers or Gladegaurd from fantasy, or the Fanatical mobs of the Red Corsairs from Apocalypse.

Or conscripts, cultists and zealots from 40k. As long as it's easily determined what the gear represents you can pretty much do what you want visibly. Doesn't matter if it's an axe, knife, sword, spear or club it's still a ccw for instance.

I was considering taking Catachans and GSing on armor, hair and beards. But that's also cause I'm lazy and don't want to buy multiple boxed sets.

Archived