Terrain questions

rangemaster

I have heard of the fortress of the FANG, but it doesn't seem space wolf-ish. since they are derived from vikings wouldn't they have halls like the men of rohan from lord of the rings. I realize the wood and straw is poor defense against gunfire but the space wolves are said to be very untrusting of technology (or maybe it's just teleporters)

anyways can some one tell me different elements of terrain for a game board?

should I attempt to build a fortress, or a little viking village or some really bizzar metal structure that is perhaps in the shape of a wolf? lol. any advice appreciated. thanks.

Ive got an Iceworld board in the works.... have giant bergs for the for the hills, cracked ice for dangerous terrain..... lots of snow, some evergreens. Looks nice I think. As for the imperial base that I can put on there? Well its really just four buildings, on of wich is three stories with the top broken off all jaggedly, and some retaining walls.

Sorry, but Rohan-style housing just doesnt cut it for a space marine. The Fenrisian population probly does have longhouses alot like that on the more stable lands, and large tents on the less stable lands.... but thats just a personal opinion.

Actually the first novel in the Space Wolf series is great for seeing how the Fenresians live. In actuality it varies greatly.

The Island dwellers live in houses of stretched skin over sea creature bones, buildings on Asaheim the only stable continent are wood over a stone foundation. The Isle of the Iron Makers is all worked stone and crude highly polluting machinery.

While the Fang is a giant fortress within the mountain it is distinctly space wolfified, even Space Wolf ships can be like that. Berek Thunderfist's personal Chambers on the Fist of Russ were styled after a traditional wooden long hall complete with furs, trophies and a fake fireplace.

hey, just out of curiousity, does anyone remember that warhammer fantasy campaign with archaon. around the time of that campaign, gw had a cool castle article for a campaign. does anyone have a link to it or pictures? I would like to make the fortress of the fang like that but can't find it.

You are aware that the fortress of the fang is actually built inside a mountain. And that it holds the hole Space Wolf chapter (which is more or less legion size) and that at the very top of this mountain is a docking port for space ships. And that i tis secound only to the imperial palic in terms of size and defencibility.

You are aware that the fortress of the fang is actually built inside a mountain. And that it holds the hole Space Wolf chapter (which is more or less legion size) and that at the very top of this mountain is a docking port for space ships. And that i tis secound only to the imperial palic in terms of size and defencibility.

Yes we know its in the mountain though it is rare to have the entire SW chapter their. Most of the companies (if not all) are pretty much with their fleet doing some heroic things.

As was mentioned by Brother Vash, and as I am re-reading my 3 paperpacks again, "Space Wolf" has the reference you seek and early on. Ragnar speaks of long houses of dragon skin stretched over dragon bones or wood. A visit to the Iron Fortress awed the young Ragnar as the immense size and construction of stone was more than he could've imagined. Read for yourself, it's worth it :whistling:

Yes we know its in the mountain though it is rare to have the entire SW chapter their. Most of the companies (if not all) are pretty much with their fleet doing some heroic things.

It does happen though, during the launch of the Garm Campaign in what the 3rd Space Wolf novel? The entire Chapter is present more or less.

You need to pick a certain area of the Fang to represent. Remember the Fang is the largest natural thing in the known universe. If you tried to model the entire Fang (even just the outside) you would need a board easily the size of a football field.

I would pick a smaller portion of the outside of the Fang, probibly near the bottom so that way you have some even ground to work on as well....and put some support pipes and buildings down, maybe even a lower slopes landing pad area.

so i shold aim for the mines of moria type gig. you know with great pillars and wall patters?

It depends on what your trying to do. If it's an indoor look for a fortress yea the great pillars of moria are a nice start, but you need to 40kify and wolfify that, serfs in wolf pelts directing servitors, cables, wires and floating glow globes everywhere, scenes from the Chapters history carved into every pillar etc.

If it's outdoor though a half buirried in snow ruins or wooden viking village would probably work better.

It is my personal preference to have terrain of a grassy imperial nature because no one is foolish enough to attack me on my home turf :mellow: . I don't even use snowy bases for my models. Rather I seek out my foes who attack the neighboring systems who have asked for aid. But thats just me.

G

Archived