Is it possible to make a very powerful wolf list?

Ragnars Claw

I'm attending a tournament in a few weeks where there will be lots of nails armies. Things like warboss on bike and lots of nob bikers, twin lash daemon princes that sort of thing.

Is it possible to make a really powerful wolf build with 1000 points and elites, fast attack and heavy support limited to 2 choices each?

I've played around with a few lists and i'm not convinced it is...but i could be wrong!

1000 point games are hard for the wolves. mostly because you need two HQs. things i have done (with proxies) was some thing like this:

WP: IWA, BP, PW, frgas, Karks, pelt

SWVD: AssC, HF

6x GH: BP, CCW, PF, 2x PP, melta

Razorback: TLAssC

6x GH: BP, CCW, PW, 2x PP, PG

Razorback: LC/TLPG

11x BC:BP, CCW, 2x PF

Vindicator

i don't know how this would work in your area, but it did OK out here.

Grey Mage fancy being a little more constructive? As far as i can tell your post is purely intended to wind up. ^_^

Ullr, yep its the 2 HQ thing that i find difficult to plan round at such a small points scale. I do like that list though i would try and mount the claws. Not sure how it would do round here but it certainly looks viable to me :lol:

I concure GM.

Just go el' cheapo on the HQs and you be fine. Have them lead 2 squads of GHs add a little this and that just no WGPLs and you will be fine.

Something like

WGBL FB / SS WTN, WP, WTT

WGBL FB / SS WTN, WP, WTT

WG Vrox

Is it possible to make a very powerful wolf list?
my answer to that would be YES and NO, only because you can be always prepared to have the best and flexible list, but as we all know.. expect the unexpected, Murphy's law

Sorry but I found your question a bit redundant, the answer showed my opinion on it and was intended mostly for humor. For a more constructive answer the question "How would you go about making an effective space wolf list for a cut throat style tournament with only two FA, Elite, and HVY choices available?". To wich my answer is yeah.... sure. Ill post up a couple of examples after work tonight.

This one got me first out of 12 about two months ago.

WGBL- TDA, Frostblade, Assault Cannon, RC, Pelt- 128pts.

Venerable Dreadnaught- Assault Cannon, EA- 160pts.

10 Grey Hunters- P. Rifle, P. Pistol, P. Fist, 8x Bolters- 215pts.

10 Grey Hunters- P. Rifle, P. Pistol, P. Fist, 8x Bolters- 215pts.

Attack Bike- Multimelta- 50pts.

Whirlwind- 85pts.

Predator- Heavy Bolters, Lascannon, Extra Armor- 145pts.

Ill post more up in a bit, the girl wants online. *sighs* So tired.... to many odd hour shifts.

I've contemplating filling that second HQ choice with a vendread with AC and CC/SB. Anyone have any experience with that?

V-dreads are a great HQ option with BS 5 and Hard to Kill however their AC's are only H3 no Rending, better to go with the twin Las Cannon or the Plasma Cannon. The storm SB is ok but I prefer the HF as you have a better chance of hitting more opposition models with it.

V-dreads are a great HQ option with BS 5 and Hard to Kill however their AC's are only H3 no Rending

Although we take our VD from C:SW rather than C:SM, surely we would still take weapons rules from C:SM...?

At least that's what I've been doing ;)

-dreads are a great HQ option with BS 5 and Hard to Kill however their AC's are only H3 no Rending

Does that mean the Plasma Cannons on a Ven Dred always hit center on a 2 plus like in 4th?

WG Vrox

-dreads are a great HQ option with BS 5 and Hard to Kill however their AC's are only H3 no Rending

Does that mean the Plasma Cannons on a Ven Dred always hit center on a 2 plus like in 4th?

WG Vrox

well if you use the above logic yes, but they go by the rules from the HBRB, so AssCs are Heavy 4 rending, and the plasma scatter, which is the main reason i stopped using it every time.

If your talkin a cheese tournament then I suggest 20 Grey Hunters and 20-30 Blood Claws with cheapo HQ's. It's a lot of power armor to deal with at such a low points cost and then you use the Ultra cheese strategy of... phalanxes, intermix two squads so that they give eachother a cover save. Horribly cheesy, horribly unsportsmanlike, but in a totally cutthroat tourny go wild. Other armies can do it too but when you combine the durability of power armor with the skills of the Wolves you can't go wrong. If you have the points an OBEL Scout Squad kept cheap with a single meltagun for taking out tanks and throw in a couple melta guns in the Grey Hunters and you can decently deal with any armor you encounter.

This battle report is an example of a recent use of the above strategy and it worked like a charm. Say goodbye silly guardsmen.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The mixed unit tactic is ungodly cheesy and I only ever suggest using it in the most unfair environments or against the worst rules lawyers. That said a similar but not so cheesy thing can be done with a Rune Priest. Stick him with the front most squad, cast storm caller and then the front squad gives all those behind a cover save and the front squad gets a mediocre save too. It's not nearly as good but it works fairly well.

Thinking more on your lists (read this as I am having trouble with mine), would the brothers of the Fang consider dropping heavy support vehicles altogether? With vehicles being almost fixed bunkers (any vehicle with a weapon of over S4 can't move and shoot) what about a list of Grey Hunters, Dreads/skimmers and Long Fangs?

All troop choices start on the table are so the Long Fangs should be in place in turn one. (are LF's considered troops for escalation?) The Wolves would be like a small IG army with troops and heavy weapon teams, the V-dread could move and shoot while the troops run, a small pack of BC's with jump packs can hang around to look after the LF's.

It was just a thought, I was reminded of an all troops Imperial Fists list that did well in a US (Texas) Grand Tournament a few years back.

"IMPORTANT NOTE: The mixed unit tactic is ungodly cheesy and I only ever suggest using it in the most unfair environments or against the worst rules lawyers."

So how do you know the mutts I play against down here?

Archived