Elite Inquisitor equipment

Rangeltoft

My girlfriend is slowly getting back into 40k and has decided to run a radical daemonhunter army, but has now run into something she finds annoying.

In her 2250p list she wants a elite inquisitor with (un)Holy Relic to have in a assault marines squad in a redeemer, but is unsure on which of two diffrent equipments she should use.

Elite Inquisitor 1:

Weapons:Null Rod & Combi-Grenade Launcher

Wargear:Terminator Armour,Holy Relic,Psycannon Bolts

= 110p

She likes this one because he/she makes the assault squad immune to any and all psychic powers aswell as giving them the extra attack from the holy relic. The Combi-Grenade Launcher with psycannon bolts is there to give the unit some shooting while they move between targets after they have assaulted out of the LR Redeemer.

Elite Inquisitor 2:

Weapons:Thunder Hammer & Combi-Melta

Wargear:Terminator Armour,Holy Relic

= 110p

This one she likes because it gives the assault squad a Thunder Hammer (The Sergeant is equiped with pair of lightning claws) and makes the Inquisitor slightly better in close combat. Also gives her a chance to deep strike the inquisitor in alone and hope to pop a tank.

Opponents: Witch Hunters,Ad Mech(Tau),Warp Boyz(Chaos),Orks,Eldar,IG,Black Templars & Daemons.

Which one do you think would be best?

Please note that if you have any other equipment idéas, feel free to post them, but she only has 110p to spend.

/Cheers Rangeltoft & Girlfriend

Outlaying that many points for an assaulty Inquisitor is an exercise of fun -- as opposed to efficiency or competitiveness -- so I would say that it makes no practical difference whatsoever. In practical terms, he's a waste of points! ;)

So, assuming you're doing this for fun, the first loadout puts more of a Malleus stamp on the model, and is therefor more interesting to me. YMMV.

That said, if your girlfriend is playing a radical DH army -- an army based on Codex: Daemonhunters -- it is clearly illegal. Land Raiders of any stripe wouldn't be allowed (you're not fielding a GK Hero, I would think), and neither would terminators. Should we therefor assume that this is instead a Codex: Space Marines army that is allying in one or more (radical) DH unit(s) based on the DH allying rules on p. 18 of Codex: Daemonhunters?

Number6: thanks for the respons. You should consider her list as a Radical Daemonhunter list using the Daemonhunter codex, with the "By the authority of the immortal emperor..." on page 30.

The Land Raider is taken from the allied/inducted space marines as are the assault marine squad(were did the terminators come from?).

As for the Inq. Yea, not effective, but we play for fun and I think she has worked up some fluff for that guy.

But just for "fun" I wouldn't mind seeing how you would equipd a elite inq. for 110p, my girlfriend is always looking for new ideás

Number6: thanks for the respons. You should consider her list as a Radical Daemonhunter list using the Daemonhunter codex, with the "By the authority of the immortal emperor..." on page 30.

All well and good, but Terminators (and land raiders) are not available, even "by the authority of the immortal emperor". You're (she's) restricted to exactly the units listed -- in the amounts listed -- at the bottom of the spread beginning on p. 30. So if she wants terminators, she's going to have to build a Space Marines list instead.

As for the Inq. Yea, not effective, but we play for fun and I think she has worked up some fluff for that guy.

Cool.

But just for "fun" I wouldn't mind seeing how you would equipd a elite inq. for 110p, my girlfriend is always looking for new ideás

My ultimate assaulty Elite Malleus Inquisitor would be:

* Inquisitor, terminator armour, twin master-crafted lightning claws, digital weapons, unguents of warding, scourging (130 pts)

Four power weapon attacks on the charge, one of them rerollable (rerollable wounds, too), plus a digital weapons strike, plus an excellent shooting attack, as well as good protection against psyker powers.

Drop either the digital weapons and unguents OR the scourging (he is only LD 8, after all, and how much shooting should he really be doing?) and you're down to 110 pts exactly.

I think I'm missing somthing, is she running the termy Inquisitor with the assault marines or close to the assault marines?

Does she want the squad to wipe the floor in a single cc phase or stay locked in combat until the end of her opponents go?

Will they fire on the way in? If so would you rather wipe out a unit instead of assaulting it?

I'd like to think that the Termy Inquisitor with Incinerator, unannointed weapon, unsacred insence and the defiled relic could do some damage.

All well and good, but Terminators (and land raiders) are not available, even "by the authority of the immortal emperor". You're (she's) restricted to exactly the units listed -- in the amounts listed -- at the bottom of the spread beginning on p. 30. So if she wants terminators, she's going to have to build a Space Marines list instead.

Well, never said anything about terminators, only that the Inq. would be in terminator armour. And in, atleast my dex, on page 31 there is 0 - 1 Space Marine Land Raider as an option.

As for your inquisitor, I think that she would like that setup (without the scourging).

iamnothere: I think the idéa was to run him with the marines, altho im not sure and remaning locked in close combat untill the opponents go is not that bad, considering that otherwise they might get shot up abit.

That setup would be great against daemons and chaos, but she will mostly be facing witch hunters and tau (mainly because those are my armies) but she will face the others every other weekend or so. But one of her early ideás was indead with a incinerator.

Keep the ideás coming

Considering that the Inquisitor has low strength and would have trouble wounding a lot of foes, I'm not a big fan of the power weapon in their hands.

Thus, if you really want to close-combatify them, go with the Thunder Hammer.

Second, if you are taking Terminator armor, I would take an incinerator as the other weapon so you can hose someone down with a heavy flamer before charging in. Bonus points if it's a unit in cover or a unit with only invulnerable saves, as you're going to absolutely wreck them with the incinerator. More bonus points if you deliberately tank shock them into a narrow shape with the land raider before unloading so you can hit a truckload of people with the incinerator template.

The synergy between heavy flamers / incinerators / flamers and tank shock is huge. I would not hesitate to abuse this like mad.

If the Inquisitor has a retinue they can take the Land Raider as a transport option... using the DH list though it may be dedicated. So it is possible to end up with a Land Raider directly under an Inquisitor's control.

Well, never said anything about terminators, only that the Inq. would be in terminator armour. And in, atleast my dex, on page 31 there is 0 - 1 Space Marine Land Raider as an option.

I was certain a terminator assault squad was mentioned. But sure enough, all you said was "assault squad".

And I looked at those induction rules twice this morning, and both times I missed the land raider reference! And even after you said it's printed there, I had to look it over three times before my eyes registered it! :(

I owe you multiple apologies for the confusion and errors. I hope you can hear them through the egg on my face.

As for your inquisitor, I think that she would like that setup (without the scourging).

Well, at least I did something right!

Good luck, and I'd love to hear about your girlfriend's army's exploits here in the forum.

Number6: No problem, everyone can make misstakes ( and I was right for a change :) ).

And dont worry, as soon as my exams are done we will get a few games in, and since both me and my girlfriend plays with the Emperors glorious inquisition, there should be a few battle reps coming up in a not to far away future.

Reinholt: you got a good point there, incinerators are great for inquisitors armed with a thunderhammer and the thunder hammer makes them abit better in close combat (same reason my own inq.lord has a eviscertor) but the unit the inqusitor is joining already has two flamers and my girlfriend came to the conclusion that she didn't really need another flamer in that unit and it doesn't fit her fluff.

Archived