Apothicaries and Techmarines

Mosk

My buddy fields a space marine army and generally fields apothicaries and or a single techmarine. I have several questions about this. (I field a WH army)

1.) How should I deal with a command squad with an Apothicary in it? Should I just avoid it?

2.) How should I deal with any other squads with Apothicaries?

3.) How should I deal with techmarines without thunderfire cannons?

4.) How should I deal with Techmarines with thunderfire cannons?

Vindicare Assassin . . . :wub:

Seriously, the ability to choose which model gets removed can be a godsend when dealing with squads containing support characters, like Apothecaries.

As for Techmarines with or without Thunderfires, I doubt they would stand to an assault from an Eversor Assassin. You could also try using a Callidus Assassin's 'A Word in Your Ear' to redeploy the Thunderfire cannon somewhere useless, saving you a couple of turns of fire.

I don't really see the problem - only the Command Squad with an Apoth has and degree of resiliance (only Command Squads can get an Apothecary, too). The Thunderfire is only AV10 and is destroyed on the first glance/penetrate, and as much as I love my Techmarine he's not really that good. As Lady Canoness said, just shoot them up a bit.

The Assassins would be a horrible waste against the Techmarines - but not against the Command Squad. High strength and/or low AP attacks will sort them out easily enough. Do you use SoB in your WHs? If so get some DG training on them and they won't last long as there's only 5 of them.

A little more context would help though. I assume he loads the Command Squad for CC and in a transport??

His command squad is always built for CC but not always in a transport, as he has only two rhinos at this time (one is generally used as a predator. Me and my buds are big on magnetizing) Where as I have 10 rhinos and can make 3 into exorcists, and all ten could be made into an immolator :D, sometimes he does use my extra rhinos, but he uses them for his tactical squads (he has a fullcompany of marines minus transports) I do use sisters of battle, I have enough to make 5 squads of 10 (regular sisters, or 4 squads of regs, and 2 squads of dominions in a rhino or repressor.

In that case, they're tailor made for some DG punishment. Get stuck in with those AP1 bolter rounds, especially since you can mechanise your SoB to ensure you get the drop on them. With a bit of luck they'll be thinned down or wiped out leaving you to deal with the attached Captain (assuming he is attached!). If the Emperor favours you enough you'll get the Apothecary to take an unsaved wound and remove the Feel No Pain for the squad.

As for Techmarines with or without Thunderfires, I doubt they would stand to an assault from an Eversor Assassin. You could also try using a Callidus Assassin's 'A Word in Your Ear' to redeploy the Thunderfire cannon somewhere useless, saving you a couple of turns of fire.

What hapes if Callidus flames that Techmarine and his precious cannon at the same time?

Techmarine: No invulnerable save, consider him to be armed with a power fist (that's essentially what the servo-arm is).

He's just a souped up veteran sergeant, basically. Kill him the same way you'd kill any other marine - with a weapon that pierces his armor.

Apothecary: This guy confers feel no pain to the squad. Same story as above; power weapons (fists, hammers, etc) or weaponry that is AP 1 or AP 2 is your best bet once more.

Neither of those should intimidate you at all. Any of the sisters or GK HQs kitted out properly should wreck a techmarine in close combat, and unless it's a master of the forge with a conversion beamer, they aren't dangerous until they get up close. The command squad is pricey and inefficient, in my view. It's additional toughness matters versus small arms fire, but not against the stuff that matters. For sisters, whack it with your HQ, with exorcists, with arco-flagellants, etc. For GKs, your basic troops can probably take a command squad in close combat, much less your terminators...

Archived