Shrike and Combat Squads

D-USA

Quick question:

I have been running shrike with a unit of 5 assault marines (I don't like to run him with termies and then splitting them, just think that Shrike with jump-pack assault marines just fits the fluff better).

I was wondering how the unit would act if I had 10 assault marines with Shrike. Could I infiltrate Shrike with 5 marines and infiltrate the other assault marines somewhere else? The way the rules read it seems like it should work. The rules read like the unit would deploy together, but can be split into combat teams at the time of deployment and can be deployed in two different parts of the board.

It seems like it should be no different than splitting up a 10 man troop of scouts into combat squads and deploying them in two locations. Shrike gives the whole UNIT infiltrate, and the UNIT then splits into combat squads.

But on the other hand I am pretty torn myself on how to interpret this rule.

Thanks for any help.

A unit is a unit...

The 2 combat squads count as 2 units. Only the unit with Shrike can infiltrate with his special ability.

Scouts can do it because all scouts have the ability to infiltrate, not just the ones with the sergeant or something goofy like that.

Hey,

Only the unit with Shrike in it may infiltrate.
I.e. only the single combat squad?

You must choose whether to Infiltrate a full, or a Combat squad with Shrike at Deployment.

Joining to confer Infiltrate upon the Unit, then splitting it into Infiltrating Squads won't work under Shrike's rules -

RB p48: ICs - like Shrike - may join a Unit, but must Declare this *before* Deployment.

Codex p51: Units split into Combat Squads are Declared *at* Deployment.

Codex p92: Shrike's "squad" - not Unit - may Infiltrate.

Playa

Hey,

Only the unit with Shrike in it may infiltrate.
I.e. only the single combat squad?

You must choose whether to Infiltrate a full, or a Combat squad with Shrike at Deployment.

Joining to confer Infiltrate upon the Unit, then splitting it into Infiltrating Squads won't work under Shrike's rules -

RB p48: ICs - like Shrike - may join a Unit, but must Declare this *before* Deployment.

Codex p51: Units split into Combat Squads are Declared *at* Deployment.

Codex p92: Shrike's "squad" - not Unit - may Infiltrate.

Playa

That's about what I was thinking. We talked about this not long ago at the store, but I was not completely sure. I was leaning both ways and could not decide how exactly to interpret the rules.

Thanks to all who answered

Wouldn't it work like this;

Before you delpoy, you annouce that Shrike as joined this 10 man Squad, and they are going to deploy with infiltrate.

You deploy the rest of your force, as does your opponent.

You delpoy your infiltrating squad, which as you place it on the table, decides to split into two combat squads.

That satisfies all the conditions, doesn't it?

As you can't split it into two Combat Squads before you deploy, and being an infiltrating unit it deploys after both armies normal deployments.

An independent character may begin the game already with a unit by being deployed in coherancy with them

suggests that the unit is deployed and then the character with it, however;

for instance if an independent character without infiltrate joins a unit of infiltrators during deployment, the unit cannot infiltrate.

would suggest that they have to be assigned before hand otherwise they wouldn't be deployed together.

Shrike (and models in his squad) benifit from the Infiltrate special rule

The squad he is attatched to when he is deployed therefore is conveyed the special ability as;

The deciscion to split into combat squads, as well as which model goes in each squad, must be made when the unit is deployed...If you decide to split a unit into combat squads then each combat squad is treated as a separate unit from that point

means that they are separate squads from the moment they hit the table but are deployed at the same time. As they have to be deployed at the same time they both therefore must have infiltrate.

Poorly worded with lots of contradictions, but that's my take on it.

~O

edited for spelling

Wasn't there a wording somewhere that stated something along the lines of; "Units using the Reserve rule cannot split into Combat Squads". I seem to remember reading that somewhere. Could be wrong though. :)

BA and DA have this rule. However, it is irrelevent seeing as infiltrating dosn't use reserves.

ICs are only considered part of a unit if they are within 2" of a model in that unit. Thus, you have to deploy Shrike separately from the squad upon which you wish to confer Infiltrate, and thus cannot do so because you deploy infiltrators after regular deployment. ICs can only deploy as part of a unit if both units are in reserves and are specified as being together.

ICs can only deploy as part of a unit if both units are in reserves and are specified as being together.

Where's this one printed?

Shrike separately from the squad upon which you wish to confer Infiltrate, and thus cannot do so because you deploy infiltrators after regular deployment.

Then what is the point of his special rule?

Please think through your answer and re-submit :rolleyes:

~O

Archived