cannoness help

nexus night

I'm trying to put my cannoness together at the moment but i'm thinking which weapons to put on her. I want her to be able to tank hunt (i'm am definatly having her jumpy) so i was thinking something on the lines of BoSL,inferno pistol, blessed weapon (i think it's the sword), jump pack and a CoSA. Is that good for tank hunting? also when you put the book on, how do you put it on because she only has 2 arms and where should i get a jet pack for her?

thx everyone

the jetpack and infernopistol is quite ideal for tank hunting, i run this combo myself! i think you can easily skip the other gear you bought for her if u only intend her to go tankhunting, aswell as making her Palatine.. you dont acctually need the "heroine" model for this palatine as you can take a seraphim veteran superior and tool her with inferno pistol.

I suspect that she is going to operate on her own at the battlefield so you will have to be careful, but the jump pack gives you mobility that you should use to get her in position,

Doun count on her in cc, she is doomed to loose every cc fight she will get engaged in.. thus you can skip all the gear exept that which suit her purpose..

There's really one build for the Flying Nun of Doom;

Canoness, eviscerator, inferno pistol, Cloak, Mantle, Book, jump pack

(145 points)

When fully pumped up with Faith, she eats everything in her path. Attach to unit of Seraphim to get her up the board safely, then detach to assault seperate targets (the Seraphim need to retain their Hit and Run ability).

There's really one build for the Flying Nun of Doom;

Canoness, eviscerator, inferno pistol, Cloak, Mantle, Book, jump pack

(145 points)

When fully pumped up with Faith, she eats everything in her path. Attach to unit of Seraphim to get her up the board safely, then detach to assault seperate targets (the Seraphim need to retain their Hit and Run ability).

Ditto that. I've seen exactly that model stand up to anything and everything while simultaneously slaughtering or slagging anything and everything. IMHO, with a Faithful army supporting her, this Canoness build is the single best character model in all of 40K. Cheap and brutally effective. Highly recommended. I have good experience with her myself, and I never have more than 3 FPs available! I envy Sisters players who have 2-3 times that much Faith (if not even more)....

For my jumpy cannonesses, I have two of them. I used two living saint models, converting the heads to match my army (all helms) and then I magnetised the hands/arms to max out my options (I used pegasus wings for the jump pack.)

As for gear, I would say play atleast two games with each set up you are deciding on. This will let you figure out which weapon set up fits you. For me my two favorite set ups are inferno pistol with evicerator/blessed weapon or melta/combi melta (I can't remeber which I used) and evicerator/blessed weapon.

I have found that for a tank hunting character that I want to have both ranged anti tank, as well as close combat anti tank stuff. I do this mainly due to my Kroot merc army where I had to really plan out what each unit would have to do in a game, and make sure it happens or I would have no chance of winning.

I personally also always take a cannoness, because it gives you a tone of extra stuff for just ten points, totally a deal IMO.

Ditto on nixing the palatine... the cannoness is far superior.

I like to mastercraft the eviscerator before I take the inferno pistol, same point cost but the master crafting is worth its weight in gold on a ws 4 model. Think about it this way, on the charge you get 4 attacks for 130 points (sans pistol) or 145 with mastercrafting (again sans pistol) or 3 attacks if stuck in. The chance of missing a WS 4 model (pretty much the base WS) with any of the attacks, thus granting an extra swing, is 93.75%, and 87.5% with 3 attacks, and thus an extra hit 46.875% and 43.75%, respectively, if you paid for mastercrafting. The points increase for mastercrafting is only an 11.5% increase, versus and 23% to 29% increase in the number of melee attacks, so the cost is well justified. Likewise, the chance of hitting with an inferno pistol is 83%, and since the range is only 6 inches and there is 2 combat phases per shooting phase, the master crafting will generate slightly more hits than the pistol ever will, plus it will help win combats by larger margins, another boon.

Meanwhile, if you are only interested in tank hunting vehicles that move more than 6, thus the evis will only hit on a 6 yet the pistol will hit on a 2+ still, I think the cannoness is too expensive for that one single role. In my eye the cannoness shines brightest in combat first and foremost due to the poor range of the inferno pistol and the fact that it is not AP 1 like all the other meltaguns, added to the fact that no other model can perform as well as the cannoness in combat but many many units are better at tank hunting with longer range and or ap1 guns.

I run a fairly expensive Cannoness in my army.

Cannoness-

--Inferno Pistol (Master Crafted)

--Blessed Weapon (close Combat)

-Cloak

-Mantle

-Rosarius

-Jump Pack

-Melta bombs

She can dual role as anti armour and tie up a smaller squad by herself. Her greatest achievement to date was taking a squad of Fallen DA CC terminators out solo. Took 3 rounds, and 5 faith points, but she did it.

Cannoness-

--Inferno Pistol (Master Crafted)

--Blessed Weapon (close Combat)

-Cloak

-Mantle

-Rosarius

-Jump Pack

-Melta bombs

The reason the Blessed weapon isn't as favoured is because it's only really useful against T4 or worse. T5+ will shrug off half your hits, assuming you hit (going back to that WS4 issue). With an eviscerator, you're S6 base, and S8 with a Faith Act.

I never take the rosarius, or meltabombs. Why? With a Faith Act, you get a 2+ invul on the Canoness (which is better than even the shadowfield for DE). Likewise, another Faith Act means she essentially has a S8 chainfist (the I1 penalty from 'Hand' is meaningless, because she already strikes last), which makes meltabombs pretty pointless.

The issue with hitting power (ie with WS4 she doesn't hit often enough) requires a Celestian retinue (preferably with the VSS packing an evicerator as well) and a Priest (which can also be kitted out with an evsicerator). That way, you have a decent amount of ablative wounds, re-rolls to hit when charging, and the Canoness can't be picked out in close-combat (the Priest can't either). That translates to a pretty brutal assault unit, because they're still capable of doing Faith Acts. Pack them into a Rhino and rush them with your other mechanised squads, then use them as a trouble-shooting unit for combat.

Canoness, eviscerator, Cloak, Mantle, Book

Priest, eviscerator, power armour

VSS with eviscerator, Celestian with Imagifier, 2 x Celestians with meltaguns, 2 x Celestians with bolters

Rhino, extra armour, smokes

(396 points)

I know it seems like a lot of points, but the Priest and the Canoness are both dirt-cheap in reality, and the Celestian unit is only a couple of points more than a mechanised Troop unit.

On the charge (and with 'Hand' turned on) you're generating 10 x S8 chainfist attacks with re-rolls to hit. In defense (with 'Martyr' turned on), you have 3+ invul saves across the unit (thats why power armour is a better investment than a rosarius on a Priest), with 2+ invul and a once-only ID negate on the Canoness.

I prefer the Flying Nun of Doom hitching a ride with Seraphim (12" move+Run is awesome, not to mention that they make a great ablative shield against shooting), but I have to say the foot-slogging Canoness with Priest+Celestian retinue is a pretty powerful choice. It may be slow (the Rhino will die eventually, plan for it), but once in combat they'll eat Monstrous Creatures and walkers pretty handily, and they can soak up as much damage as those damned TH+SS Terminators (they're not the only 3+ invul game in town :lol: ).

One of the reasons why you would take a rosarius is to prevent the need to waste your Acts of Faith on that one model. The Flying Nun of Doom is extremely draining on the faith point pool, and if you lower the amount of drain, then you can use your Acts of Faith in other places.

One of the reasons why you would take a rosarius is to prevent the need to waste your Acts of Faith on that one model. The Flying Nun of Doom is extremely draining on the faith point pool, and if you lower the amount of drain, then you can use your Acts of Faith in other places.

Well, it depends. Until you reach combat, the only one you are using is 'Martyr', if that. I mean, you only turn on 'Martyr' if she is likely to get shot by several AP2 weapons (in most cases 'free' 4+ cover should be enough to deflect a few lascannon pot-shots), or if she's about to get assaulted. Her standard 2+ armour save deflects a lot of firepower, and if they start shooting her with anti-tank your Rhinos and Exorcists are untouched. Most people either ignore the Flying Nun or try to tarpit her, because they know about the 2+/2+ that happens if you annoy her.

Once in combat, you're using two Faith Acts (Martyr and Hand). It does start to eat into your Faith pool, but it's worth it IMO. If you start to run out, just kill off those VSS's in the Troop squads. They'll have probably used up their Brazier by now, so it's not a huge loss.

The thing about Faith Acts is that they don't cost anything (aside from the upgrade to a VSS, but you'd probably do that anyway) ; they're a 'free' ability on any Faithful unit. A rosarius is a lot of points for nothing against shooting (a 4+ cover save does the same thing for free), and it's meh in close-combat next to the 2+ invul you get on a Faith Act.

In the case of a mechanised Canoness, you already wanna turn on 'Martyr' to prolong the life of the retinue (they do almost as much damage as the Canoness alone), so it's not really a wasted Act.

The one place a rosarius makes sense is on Lord Tarpit, on the off chance a wound actually reaches him (after chewing through all the Acolytes and Crusaders). Even there, I kinda prefer to save points and keep him under 250 total.

Acts of Faith aren't necessarilly "free", in any more sense than a Spac eMarine's frags/kraks/pistol/cpecial rules are all free on the SMs. Yeah, they come with the Sisters, but they're something that the Sisters themselves pay for as part fo their standard cost. I never liked focusing so much on the jump pack canoness. I'd sooner have my larger squads use DG or HotE, it just feels like it's a much better use of each point...

With reference to the original question regarding the model:

In terms of how to mount the book. If you're using the regular canoness model, she has a book on her right hip. I've always assumed that the one she carries opened in one hand was the litanies of faith. If you're making a jump canoness, you'll probably need to use one of the serapim models. You could stick a jetpack on the regular canoness but it may look odd.

With reference to the original question regarding the model:

In terms of how to mount the book. If you're using the regular canoness model, she has a book on her right hip. I've always assumed that the one she carries opened in one hand was the litanies of faith. If you're making a jump canoness, you'll probably need to use one of the serapim models. You could stick a jetpack on the regular canoness but it may look odd.

Only issue that I see with using a Seraphim Superior as a JP Cannoness is that it will not be WYSIWYG for Cloak and Mantle. I had put a Seraphim Jump Pack onto my Cannoness and it doesn't look bad at all.

You shouldn’t be giving a lone cannoness a book anyway. It belongs in a squad where you will get more of a benefit from it.

Except that the wargear description specifies models within 6" of the book bearer may get it's effects.

Can you say hello Stubborn Ld Awesome Inducted Imperial Guard Platoon of hold-this-objective? <_<

Downside: Still guardsmen.

Upside: This trick works with other units, too.

I definitely concur that having the book on a unit with a jump pack is ideal; it allows you to rapidly reinforce any part of your line with the combination of the mobility of the model and the bubble of the book. In reality, it means you have an 18" zone of potential leadership 10 / stubborn floating out there, which is incredibly solid.

I also highly advocate the Eviscerator as the weapon of choice for the flying nun. I just can't get behind the blessed weapon for the cost compared with the effectiveness (I'm not a huge fan of relic blades for my marines, either); I've never been particularly scared of it when used against me. On the other hand, the Eviscerator can carve up characters, squads, and even dreadnoughts, especially when the whole act of faith S8 ability to smash T4 models is brought into play (requires a squad with her, if I recall). Realistically, anything truly evil in close combat is still going first against her, given I4, anyways, so the times when you would most want the initiative, you aren't going to have it regardless.

If you have to hit last, you might as well hit hard.

I don't use the blessed weapon on a jump pack canoness... it's mostly on the canoness with celestian bodygaurd. So that she can strike first (with the passion if need be) and reduce the casualties the celestians take by taking out a few of the enemies before they can attack.

(requires a squad with her, if I recall).

Nope. IC's with the Adepta Sororotias (I cn schpell gd!) takes an unmodified Ld test to see if a AOF is succesful or not.

anything truly evil in close combat is still going first against her, given I4, anyways, so the times when you would most want the initiative, you aren't going to have it regardless.

You could use the AOF "The Passion" with a blessed weapon. If you've got the points, add another Master Crafted CC weapon. 5 s5 power weapon attacks with re-rolls on two of them at I5 can deal with anything evil in cc as long as the sister is supported but she still give really dangerous units a run for thier money even if she not.

You could use the AOF "The Passion" with a blessed weapon. If you've got the points, add another Master Crafted CC weapon. 5 s5 power weapon attacks with re-rolls on two of them at I5 can deal with anything evil in cc as long as the sister is supported but she still give really dangerous units a run for thier money even if she not.

Actually, she's at I6 with 'Passion' turned on (I4 base+2 Initative from the Act). In any case, she's still only S5, which isn't bad but being two-handed she's getting 4 attacks max out of it (and at her meh WS4 as well).

I don't use the blessed weapon on a jump pack canoness... it's mostly on the canoness with celestian bodygaurd. So that she can strike first (with the passion if need be) and reduce the casualties the celestians take by taking out a few of the enemies before they can attack.

The advantage to doing this is that you can add more eviscerators (VSS, Priest) and get re-rolls to hit on the charge (which helps make her WS4 less problematic). That way, you have the S5 attacks of the Canoness going first, the enemy hitting back, then the Celestians+Priest ripping it apart with eviscerators. Seeing as eviscerator and blessed weapon are roughly the same price, it's not such a bad idea. I still prefer the eviscerator (for raw damage output), but S5 power weapon attacks at I6 are always helpful.

I always seem to go with the blessed weapon. It is only 5 pts more and allows you to (with an aof) strike at I6 S5 or I1 S7 if need be. I find the 5 pts are worth the flexibility.

Going back a bit. I also find the Rosarius to be a bit redundant, so I never take one. I find a 4+ too risky. Also with the abundance of 4+ cover saves now it is easy enough to keep her covered, if I'm unsure weather to spend a faith point.

Archived