Terminators, a discussion

Algavinn

I recently received my blackreach box, so have a single squad of termies plus a couple terminators+a termie chaplain I already had, so given that these models are so bloody cool I am looking to see how they'd fit into my army, and other methods for different army styles.

So below is my list and I'd like input on how best to implement it into my style (this list or a 2000+pt extention). Also, how do YOU use single squads of termies? To target specific threats, take over objectives, in CC only, as roving resilient firebases, via deepstrike, LR, is it viable to have them with a librarian, ever use as defense, etc?

100-Librarian-(Gate of Infinity, The Avenger)

275-Sternguard (10)-Meltagun-Combiflamer -3xCombimelta

210-Tactical Squad (10)-Flamer-Plasma Cannon-Drop Pod

215-Tactical Squad (10)-Melta Gun-Plasma Cannon-Drop Pod

185-Tactical Squad (10)-Plasma Gun-Plasma Cannon

150-Dreadnaught-Heavy Flamer-Drop Pod

145-Dreadnaught-TL Lascannon-Missile Launcher

70-Landspeeder-Multi Melta-Heavy Flamer

150-Devastator Squad-4x Missile Launcher

165-Predator-TL Lascannons-Sponson Lascannons

Whirlwind

Being as I'm Chaos, my advice will be a little different than Loyalists but hopefully you'll be able to gleen something from it.

I tend to run Terminators as a "do everything" kinda squad. This is different than the Chaos standard of 3 Terminators with 3 Combi-Meltas for super tank killing.

My squad looks like this:

Heavy Flamer/Chain Fist

Combi-Flamer/Power Weapon

Combi-Melta/Power Weapon

TL Bolter/Power Fist/Icon

TL Bolter/Power Weapon

Total cost is 200 points, same as a naked 5 man Loyalist squad. What I like to do is just drop them in where ever I need. They can support a scoring unit thats about to get overrun. They could lead the charge against an enemy objective. I can drop them in behind enemy lines and cause a headache. They're big enough to be a threat and small enough not to be a huge point sink.

For Loyalists, I'd probably take the Cyclone Launcher now. 2 shots is alot of firepower. It also gives you some flexiblity. Unlikely Chaos Terminators, you can actually walk up the table and be useful at range. This means that you're able to punch out 8 S4 shots and either 2 S4 Blasts or 2 S8 shots. Thats a fair amount of firepower and it has an effective 30" minimum range. Walk your Terminators up behind a Tactical squad in a Rhino. If they get assaulted, your Power Fists/Weapons can help out and if they don't, you can just walk on by and continue to laydown firepower.

Archived