New Pup Joining the Ranks

nagash4life

Hello all. I am new to B&C and to the Wolves, but after stumbling my way here I have found the threads and articles to be an invaluable tool. I have already won my first two games thanks to some of the tactica that I found among the dusty tombs, but I have a question because I'm now preparing for my first tournament.

The tournament is 1750pts and will use all 3 standard missions and deployments. From looking over the sign-up sheet, I see a lot of standard marines (8 of the 10 signed up) and I am concerned about having enough troops to hold objectives. Currently I have been running a list with 1 grey hunter pack in rhino, 1 blood claw pack in rhino and 1 eleven man blood claw pack in a landraider w/combat lord. I have enjoyed the effectiveness of rushing a flank with these three squads and with the amount of fire that the landraider can absorb and keep on ticking, but at ***pts it is a rather expensive transport. My question then centers around dropping the landraider in favor of another pack. In 1750pt games, is it necessary to have 4 troops, or would 3 be more then enough?

Rounding out my list is a venerable dread and rune priest, blood claw bike squad, 1 melta attack bike and a vindicator. Thank you in advance for the replies.

i'm not a fan of the landraider bloodclaw list, costs too much imo and a simple droppodding unit could ruin it's day;)

an iron clad dreadnought in a droppod can be a pain in the ass and would be a good unit

also, have you discussed how the power stormclaler works? i'd say you check it up with the organizer because else you might run into trouble

Hail to you! Have an Ale and listen to our tactical ramblings.

As a now seasoned Tornuament player, I can appricate what you are feeling and so have pulled up my views on SW tornuament lists and my first Tornie Blog.

Personally I would drop the Rune Priest, as he's extremely expensive and quite poor to be honest and replace him with a Wolf Priest or a WGBL, either would be cheaper and at least as effiecient.

Also, a full army list would be very helpful.

Vassakov.

Thanks for the replies. Here's the list I've been working on. I agree that the ironclads are a concern. Wolf Lord with the 11 man bloodclaws and the wolf priest with either rhino squad depending on need/mission.

HQ---484pts

Wolf Lord

-Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

-Runic Armor, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace

Venerable Dreadnaught

-Plasma Cannon, Heavy Flamer

-Smoke, Extra Armor

Wolf Priest

-Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Melta Bombs

-Runic Armor, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Iron Wolf Amulet

Elites---122pts

Wolf Scouts

-x5

-x2 Plasma Pistols, x1 Plasma Gun, Meltabombs

Troops---615pts

Blood Claws

-x11

-x3 Powerfists

Grey Hunters

-x9

-x2 Plasma Pistols, x2 Powerfists, Meltagun, x6 Bolters

-Rhino

Blood Claws

-x8

-x2 Powerfists

-Rhino

Fast Attack---164pts

Blood Claw Bikes

-x3

-x2 Powerfist

Attack Bike

-x1 Multi-melta

Heavy Support---365pts

Land Raider

Vindicator

Thanks for all the replies and comments on the list. I'm still in the process of painting everything and unfortunately I won't have an opportunity to playtest the list again before the tournament. I'll report my success/failure after the tournament, which luckily isn't until 2/28.

Thanks for all the replies and comments on the list. I'm still in the process of painting everything and unfortunately I won't have an opportunity to playtest the list again before the tournament. I'll report my success/failure after the tournament, which luckily isn't until 2/28.

Do you have any other units? I'd say split them and work on it against yourself. That is partially how I learned, my IW CP vs my Smurf CP.

welcome to the fang, if you need any fluff help i will be more than willing to help,

Rules or army list help than count me out, my skills do not lie in those departments/

Have an ale and tell us about your self

Well, about me....I've been playing 40k since early 3rd edition, so about 11ish years now. Early on I was an active "B-towner" and traded armies often. During 3rd edition I played literally every army except for Space Wolves, Black Templars and Chaos. I took a break for 4th edition because I got married and had a couple of kids and unfortunately sold all of my armies, but my now 16 year old step-son started reading the 40k novels and I was then able to get him to start playing the game with me. We found a LGS and are now regulars there. He plays Necrons and I started playing IG, but having played them before I got bored pretty quick (plus my son kept complainging about all the pie plates of death). So I ended up trading the IG for SW and have completely fallen in love with the army. I'm still learning the fluff and I just finished painting my first few models so I'm very wet behind the ears, but so far so good. The only thing I need to figure out now is how to make a good snow base. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Archived