Uneven point values in the chaos armies

theredcorsair

Though chaos armies are much the same as the space marines the points are quite randomly very different

Firsts first the land raider

the two land raiders are exactly the same but they have POTMS

a CSM land raider is 220 pts while the other is 250 pts.

Even if you give a land raider daemonic possesion which is better than POTMS it only comes up to 240 pts.

Im also thinkin about termies point cost but im not entirely sure yet

It's an issue of balance. If chaos marines could move 12 inches, assualt and shoot a BS4 lascannon, that would be overpowered. I like the differences in CSM and SM units, it helps to define both armies better. There's nothing subtle about CSM units, they're all rough and tumble, no tricks

Is not lash sort of a trick though. I mean you are tricking your opponents to move. The phsic powers should have some tricks though.

Anyway with the land raiders if we had that then everyone would put 10 berserkers in them and rush while taking out tanks with the lascannon. That would be broken.

It's an issue of balance. If chaos marines could move 12 inches, assualt and shoot a BS4 lascannon, that would be overpowered. I like the differences in CSM and SM units, it helps to define both armies better. There's nothing subtle about CSM units, they're all rough and tumble, no tricks

Normal SM's can load up their LR withequally nasty stuff though, can't they? Sure, berserkers in a 12 move and shoot LR would be mean, but so are various SM units...

Not really sure which SM units / rules you think are subtle. Seems to me most just let you ignore annoying morale / close combat effects other armies (CSM included, though to a lesser extent than many) have to deal with.

I don't really care about any differences in the codex. I think that they balance against each other well, in my experience. I play both armies. The only thing that I don't like is being helpless to psychic attack. Chaos...helpless against attacks from the immaterium? That's the only thing that gets me. Even if it was less powerful as a hood, I'd still think we'd get something....but that's another matter.

And Eldar--and, of course, Grey Knights or any army with an Inquisitor. Oh, and Daemons do, too.

Really, it's just Necrons, Chaos, Tau, Nids, Orks, and maybe Dark Eldar that don't. Necrons and Tau and maybe Orks should be in that list, but it seems more than a little dubious that Nids, Chaos, and Dark Eldar are.

Daemons should have better anti-psyker, too, really. What they have is sorta weak. Though, it is nice that their 'psychic powers' are actually guns, as far as the rules are concerned, and thus immune to others' abilities to shut down psykers.

Yeah, but that's just an all-round leadership debuff, right? It doesn' specifically hit psyckers, it's not that powerful, and it doesn't have the range necessary to be really effective protection. Unless I'm thinking of something else...

I thought it was really lame with the difference in transport capacity.... i mean what 10,000 years and there just now finding where Ad Mech but an extra hiding space and the Chaos guys can't seem to find it?? stupid

POFTMS- well.... its pretty stupid. and by stupid i mean a little on the broken side. but its not super drastic i suppose.

No i think you are thinking of The Horror or another one, Shadow of the Warp makes all tests be made on 3d6 with dropping the lowest, but it also negats all Perils of the Warp.

Psychic Scream gives -1 Ld to enemy units in 18".

Shadow in the Warp makes all enemy Psychic Tests on 3D6 and ADDS them all together, but negates Perils - it doesn't discard any.

Space marines rely on their non-Troops choices for all their real damage dealing power and their generic HQ' are really only good for squad buffs (they nerfed captains to oblivion outside of an all bike force, 100 points basic with no power weapon or rites of battle!?)

In contrast Chaos troops choices can do the same stuff as a lot of Space Marine elites and still hold objectives. And our HQ's are made to be damaging but not very survivable with no one having better than a 4+ save. But our HQ's make up for it in killing power Daemon weapons, 4+ monstrous creature attacks, warp blade an damaging psychic powers. Plus we have marks that can make our units do even more damage or allow them to take more damage though the latter are overcosted and ineffective. The other slots are really just to take out certain types of targets our regular CSM's and cult troops would take too long to kill.

Archived