Death Watch Questions

Bloodworthy

First time poster, long time reader. I've actually played Blood Angels for years now and have decided to start a Sisters army. I've posted on the BA forum but never on this one. Anywho, I have some questions about Death Watch Kill team.

1. Where can I find the rules for them? Ever since GW changed the website I can't find the rules. Are thier rules still valid in 5th ed?

2. I know I can't use Marine allies if I have Sisters in my army but does that include Death Watch since they are different?

3. I figured they could be a good assault unit; expensive, but really effective. Has anyone else had success with them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

1)

Linky:

Deathwatch Rules

2)

RAW says that they can be included in ANY inquisitorial army. It doesn't make any mention of not being allowed if the army contains sisters.

3)

I Haven't used them but they seem pretty good as they've got heavy bolters that can move, fire and assault :lol:

1. Where can I find the rules for them? Ever since GW changed the website I can't find the rules. Are thier rules still valid in 5th ed?

I think the Oz site still has them, take a look around there.

As for validity, you definately need to reconcile the PDF with the new Codex Space Marines. I follow this process;

The Deathwatch Captain has all the same options as a vanilla Captain from the new Codex. If you upgrade him to a Librarian, he instead chooses his options from the Librarian page in the new Codex. Remember though that while he has the same options, you use the statline from the PDF, not the unit entries in the new Codex. Ignore the references to the the 'Space Marine armoury' and 'Storm of the Emperor's Wrath'.

Use the PDF rules for the Deathwatch special ammo.

As for transport, select a Rhino/Razorback/Drop Pod from the new Codex like before.

In all honestly, use Sternguard if you want Deathwatch Kill-teams. They have better special ammo, are better in close-combat, are completely legal (the PDF rules for Deathwatch are kinda fuzzy) and with Pedro (which you can model as a DW Captain) they're scoring and 'Stubborn'.

In all honestly, use Sternguard if you want Deathwatch Kill-teams. They have better special ammo, are better in close-combat, are completely legal (the PDF rules for Deathwatch are kinda fuzzy) and with Pedro (which you can model as a DW Captain) they're scoring and 'Stubborn'.

But they're no Ordo Xenos and thus not a Deathwatch Kill team.

Witch Hunters can't take sternguard as inducted troops and using the Witch Hunters as allies kind of draws back from the Sisters army theme.

Also Chapter Approved is legal everywhere i play. Tournaments will often disallow thier use but the again some do not, it really depends on the tournament. My LGS allows them.

Oh yes. But you cannot take Sternguard as allies to a Chamber Militant army (or at all, for that matter). Deathwatch are the only exception to the rule that you cannot include allied Space Marines in an DH/WH army including Grey Knights/Sisters of Battle.

But they're no Ordo Xenos and thus not a Deathwatch Kill team.

Witch Hunters can't take sternguard as inducted troops and using the Witch Hunters as allies kind of draws back from the Sisters army theme.

Oh yes. But you cannot take Sternguard as allies to a Chamber Militant army (or at all, for that matter). Deathwatch are the only exception to the rule that you cannot include allied Space Marines in an DH/WH army including Grey Knights/Sisters of Battle.

Yeah I know, what I meant was if you want to represent the Deathwatch, take an SM base and ally in Inquisition to flavour. Sternguard are pretty much designed to be 'counted-as' Deathwatch, what with their unique ability to score (provided Pedro is in your army), their uber-bolters, decent close-combat ability etc.

Also Chapter Approved is legal everywhere i play. Tournaments will often disallow thier use but the again some do not, it really depends on the tournament. My LGS allows them.

My point is that it's quite old and doesn't quite sync up with the new SM Codex (unless you make up some house-rules to fix it, as I outlined). You'll have to explain how it works with the new Codex to your opponent, because the PDF is a bit confusing.

Thanks for the help. Has anyone had any notable success with a Deathwatch squad in a Sisters Army. Essentially I'm deciding between an Inquisitor Lord in a Land Raider or Deathwatch team. As of right now I'm leaning more towards the Inquisitor. Any help would be great, thanks.

Thanks for the help. Has anyone had any notable success with a Deathwatch squad in a Sisters Army. Essentially I'm deciding between an Inquisitor Lord in a Land Raider or Deathwatch team. As of right now I'm leaning more towards the Inquisitor. Any help would be great, thanks.

The WH Lord is most useful as an assault tarpit;

Hereticus Lord, eviscerator, 'His Will Be Done'

3 x Crusaders, 3 x Acolytes with power armour+man-catchers

2 x Churgeons, Familiar

(244 points)

A Landraider is a pretty big points investment on the unit, I think you'd be better off giving them a dirt-cheap Rhino. That way, you can Rhino-rush alongside the other SoB, then jump out and give your opponent a nasty surprise.

Archived