Hey Guys I need some help

McDevin

Okey, so I've been playing space wolves for the past 5 years, no complaints, I LOVE THE WOLVES. But I noticed that I've been losing alot with them, at first I thought it was because I was just a noob at the game, but then after the 5th year I'm still losing two thirds of the time. And I'm just wondering what I'm doing wrong

I have

10 grey hunters with bolters, and one with a melta and another with a power fist and a bolter. I usually split these into two squads of 6, one of which is lead by a wolf guard

I have a wolf lord, with a frost blade and a storm shield, which I almost ALWAYS deploy along with 2 wolf guard armed with power swords and storm bolters, I also have another one whome I rarely put out on the field, which is armed with a power fist and an assaulght cannon

I have eleven blood claws two of which are armed with power weopans, I always deploy them in one big squad

I have one veni dreadnaught armed with an assaulght cannon, and a razor back with a laz cannon, and a rhino.

I have five long fangs inclueding my pack leader, which usually eat up a lot of points, (multi melta, plasma cannon, laz cannon, and a heavy bolter)

I also have a rune priest and a wolf priest which I almost never deploy

And finally I have a iron priest which I sometimes deploy

I usually play 1000 point battles against the eldar, necron, or black templar, I also play against this tau player who always wins by alot of points

Do any of the more experianced space wolves players have any tips that can help me have a better chance at winning. I wold really apreciate it if you did.

Do you purely play WYSIWYG games?

Iron Priests are, IMO, pretty sucky, and I can't really think of any reason to field them.

Against Eldar and Necrons I'd say that your top priority is to get into CC with them ASAP.

I've never played against BT or Tau, but I'm under the impression that Tau are a shooty race who will crumble in CC.

With the models you have, I would probably do something like this:

5xGH + WGPL in Razorback

7xGH with Bolters for fire support, have them advance slowly

11xBCs with Powerfists + WP in Rhino.

VenDread - I would give it a TLLC for tank hunting

Long Fangs...? If you use them, I'd suggest giving them only two different weapons so you can concentrate on two targets.

I'm still more of a Blood Claw than a Long Fang, so someone else might have better suggestions...

How does your opponents defeat you? In CC or by shooting you to pieces?

Do you purely play WYSIWYG games?

Iron Priests are, IMO, pretty sucky, and I can't really think of any reason to field them.

Against Eldar and Necrons I'd say that your top priority is to get into CC with them ASAP.

I've never played against BT or Tau, but I'm under the impression that Tau are a shooty race who will crumble in CC.

With the models you have, I would probably do something like this:

5xGH + WGPL in Razorback

7xGH with Bolters for fire support, have them advance slowly

11xBCs with Powerfists + WP in Rhino.

VenDread - I would give it a TLLC for tank hunting

Long Fangs...? If you use them, I'd suggest giving them only two different weapons so you can concentrate on two targets.

I'm still more of a Blood Claw than a Long Fang, so someone else might have better suggestions...

How does your opponents defeat you? In CC or by shooting you to pieces?

GH squad size is 6-10, so you cant take 5 with a pack leader

rhinos carry 10 guys max, so you'll have to drop two blood claws from the list

Against Tau I've found drop pods to be quite effective. Force them into the melee immediately and usually the edge will be yours if you deal with the drones properly.

Melee eldar I've never faced, but I suspect it'll be quite different. Perhaps Long Fangs and a slow, strong army?

GH squad size is 6-10, so you cant take 5 with a pack leader

rhinos carry 10 guys max, so you'll have to drop two blood claws from the list

GH was an oopsie. Thanks for correcting me :-)

Damnation, I thought it was 12 models for Rhinos. Hmm, ok, that's my bad.

CC Eldar? I would strongly recommend some Heavy Flamer Land Speeders then. I've used them very successfully against eldar.

No roll to hit, and many eldar won't get an armour save.

Harlequins are pretty brutal, aye.

Assuming your opponents don't mind a bit of proxying I would suggest getting a TLLC for the VenDread and some LSs with flamers and/or heavy bolters.

If you do get some long fangs, give them 2xHB/2xLC to take out the transports.

Blood Claws+Wolf Priest should be able to take out a harlequin squad, but don't expect to have many left...

sounds to me like you need more troops. i have won with SW at 1000 points but it is hard, because we need two HQs. i would say at that point level, make the CC squad a GH squad, and put them in the rhino with either the WL or WP. use the other GHs as support, and if you use your longfangs, use the LC and either the PC or the HB(the squad would only be 3 guys), and give them the Razorback (even if you don't put them in it i will help with range). i would use the ven. dread. as your other hq. i have no clue what that kind of thing sums to right now but that is what i would try to make work with what you got.

Personally I think your problem is lack of focus. You have a Ven Dread and a Rhino but no other armor, and expensive and not so effective Long Fangs. A little bit of this, a little bit of that but all together not a truly cohesive army.

I'd strongly suggest you up each GH pack to 10 men strong, with the Pack Leader you've got what 13 models? A GH pack box will work fine there, you'll have 3 left over but hold onto those. Then I'd suggest getting those Blood Claws up to full strength plus a pack leader, that will take another 5. If you have some CCW & BP arms in your bits then I'd suggest... another GH pack box, turn 5 into Blood Claws and take the 3 left over from the other box and the 5 from the second box and form a third GH pack of 8, make one a pack leader too. Now instead of 23 or so Troops you have 44. A huge difference and all it takes is two boxes of Grey Hunters.

Ontop of that I'd suggest taking the Wolf Lord and the Wolf Priest, leave the Iron Priest and Dread at home.

Now if you insist on Long Fangs I'd suggest at such a low points cost what you do is Rhino bunker them. Take a minimum squad of a pack leader and two LF with Lascannons, give them the rhino and sit it in cover, then the two lascannons can use the fire points to target enemy armor from the safety of their transport. If you keep the rhino deep in terrain that makes it a tough target to shoot it should survive for a while and give the LF a snazzy bunker to fire from without getting shot, or assaulted to pieces.

Now lets discuss armaments, you say you've got three bodyguards for your Lord, with Power Weapons and Storm Bolters on two and an Assault Cannon and Power Fist on the third, so I'm assuming these are Terminators? I'd suggest you also leave these bad boys at home or, take them for a cheap Wolf Guard Battle Leader with Termie Armor and give them a drop pod, land them behind your enemy and watch them cause havoc but make sure to give them runic charms so they survive just a little more. In a harrassment unit that makes all the difference as your opponent has to expend even more firepower to deal with them.

Eldar Harlequins are tough puppies, What you can do is say bunker up in a building. Stick your Blood Claws with the Wolf Priest attatched to them in a long line just inside the building and have them go to ground. Now they're tough to shoot up. Behind them have your Grey Hunters and perhaps your Long Fangs plinking away at anything that gets close, when those Harlequins get close, rush the Blood Claws out and assault them. They strike first of course but except for the Troupe Master they don't have power weapons and only those upgraded to a Harlequins Kiss have rending attacks. At least this way they don't get the bonus for Furious Assault or Charging and you have 17 models in your squad (assuming you up them like I suggested above). Lets just see those Eldar crazies TRY to kill that many Space Wolves in hth. When their attacks are done, strike back and tear them to ribbons.

Of course if your not in danger of being outside of CC range if you shoot them, you can always unleash your bolt pistols on them, even a Shadowseer's power can't protect them when your that close.

Howling Banshees Power Weapons can be nasty but they're weak so it's not easy for them to wound you and they've got mediocre armor. A round of Bolter Fire from a GH pack will usually reduce them to a paltry size that can then be finished off without taking too many cassualties by another squad of GH or Blood Claws.

Striking Scorpions have better armor but of course don't have the Power Weapons of the Banshees or the Abilities of the Harlequins. A few power weapons and fists can see them off without too much trouble.

Necrons are tough but in CC you should be able to tear them apart. As for Tau well they're tricky little bums but TLOS means they can't hide nearly as well, sticking your WG Termies in a Drop Pod to harass your opponents rear and using the Rune Priest to give your big Blood Claw pack a Cover Save as they close the distance (and the BC give any units behind them a save too) then there should be little the Tau can do to stop you hitting his lines and ripping him up. If he's got lots of tanks, well they aren't too hard to deal with and are nowhere near as potent as they used to be.

If you want more specific tactics give us an idea of the army lists of your opponents and we can give you some better pointers.

I feel your problem is mostly in lack of options. You have a very bare bones force. I hate to say it, because Im cheap at heart but you need to drop some cash and get yourself a few more models. Another pack of Grey Hunters, a predator or vindicator, and maybe a couple more TDA armored wolf gaurd. Especially ones with assault cannons.

Why? Because options are good. They let you use more tactics and vary your strategy. Why those models?

Grey Hunters are the # 1 troop choice, ever. Having a second full squad of them will increase the survivability of your forces alot. Having the option of deploying two full squads will open up some strategies for you as a player. Also, with 22 of them you can make a couple of guys with alternate weapons if youd like. For instance, power weapons are nice.

Predator/Vindicator. At 1000 pts three peices of armor is really the minimum if your going to have any really. Armor 13 will help it survive, and the longer that it survives the less firepower will be slung towards your rhino or dread. Wich you get is mostly a matter of taste. I prefer the Predator, but many on this board will tell you the Vindicator is better.

Some TDA WG are also a fun option. You can make them Pack Leaders and put them with your squads to save against those nasty AP 3 guns, or you can make a heavy hitting unit that will rightfully scare your opponent into ignoring much of your other forces. I fully endorse the use of 3 or 5 WG in TDA with 2-3 assault cannons. The squad runs a little over 300 pts.... so throw in either the wolf priest or the ven dread as your second HQ, atleast two troops and then decide based on your points.... another troop or a tank?

Archived