How to move casualties in a line...

LPetersson

My friends and I had this situation in our last game.

His unit was set up like this:

AxxxxxxE

A= Autarch

x= Dark Reapers

E= Eldrad

I assaulted him and slaughtered all his dark reapers which left quite a gap between Eldrad and his Autarch.

What do you guys do in such a case?

Would you move Eldrad and the Autarch closer together or say that they are no longer one unit?

We made one morale check for them and they ran like scared little girls so it became rather acedemic, but if it happens again...

2 IC's can make a unit together. Both were in a unit together when the assault started, so both a still a unit together once the dark reapers have left. So in the assault they would have to obey normal coherancy rules to move together, and one of them would only be able to leave the 'unit' in the movement phase if they weren't locked in combat. (and would count as locked in combat as long as either of them was still involved in the assault).

I will have to double check, but I think it should have worked like this:

at the start of the combat the squad AND Eldrad should have piled in 6"

At the end of the combat, if for some reason Eldrad was not able to make base contact, and was now 2" away from any of your models AND now 2" or more away from any member of the squad, then he would not be counted as part of that squad anymore - but this would be done AFTER the assault phase is over with and so any morale tests for the squad WOULD effect Eldrad in that initial assault phase.

I don't believe that one IC being within 2" (and not base to base) of an enemy while being farther than 2" from any locked, friendly model has any consequence - it does not pass the test for locked, nor for IC being attached as both require normal coherency range (2") with a firendly model. if this is the result, then the IC and othe rmodel (IC or whatever) are no longer joined, though I also believe the effect would begin immediately after combat resolution - after falling back or at the start of the next combat round unless they pile in to coherency and reattach.

this is not addressed exactly in the BRB, but the characters section is pretty clear about treating the IC as a seperate unit to resolve attacks, but to treat units with them as one when resolving combat. I think the above does so. I am open to comments on this, though, as I have not had to deal with it myself, yet.

I will have to double check, but I think it should have worked like this:

at the start of the combat the squad AND Eldrad should have piled in 6"

At the end of the combat, if for some reason Eldrad was not able to make base contact, and was now 2" away from any of your models AND now 2" or more away from any member of the squad, then he would not be counted as part of that squad anymore - but this would be done AFTER the assault phase is over with and so any morale tests for the squad WOULD effect Eldrad in that initial assault phase.

Pile in only happens after combat has been resolved...

I like your idea of what should happen. It makes sense to me...

I'll see what my friend says...

An independent character can opt to leave a unit as part of it's movement by end it at least 2" away at the end of it's movement phase. There's no joining or leaving units in the assault or shooting phases. Got this wrong as I had an IC consolodate and join a unit after combat.

~O

edited for spelling

Pile in only happens after combat has been resolved...

Not in Fifth Edition. Check "Defenders React", on page 34 of the rulebook. When you charged the unit, the Eldar would be forced to move in - I myself was wondering how come the Autarch and the Farseer were so far away from each other!

Archived