Auspex & Transports w/ =][=

Everyone's pretty familiar with the ability of 2 mystics to ' nominate one unit with a model within 12" ' to take the free shots. So if the =][= brings his ride he can nominate it to shoot. I have 3 other items related to this:

• Is the dedicated transport considered a part of his "unit" if embarked? If disembarked?

• If the transport is a part of his "unit", this this would seem to extend the same benefit to nominate the transport vs. infiltrators if he has taken an auspex - correct?

• If he is deployed separately from his transport, but still within 12", could he AND his retinue AND his transport all fire at the unit?

It appears that transports, even dedicated transports, are their own unit and not part of the embarked unit it may be carrying. This is never stated exactly, however, it shows up in several places in the current 5th Ed rule book; ie, pg67 under "Dedicated Transports" and how vehicles count separately for kill points.

Which means that in the case of a double mystic retinue, you should be able to select the vehicle the retinue is in or the retinue, but not both.

I'm working on a force build to use this very mechanic; I've been researching it lately.

SJ

I believe I read that dedicated transports are units by themselves, they count the same as the unit they are dedicated to. So a troop transport like a rhino is a troop choice in game purposes, but may not capture objectives due to being a troop transport. It can be nominated as per the mystic allowing it too. An Auspex only allows the unit with the auspex to open fire though, and for this purpose the transport is seperate. As for being in the transport, for all purposes the transport and the unit counts as 1 thing, this is why units inside the transport need to shot at the same thing as the transport.

@Tauren, that last line confused me a bit, why do units inside transports have to shoot at the same target as the transport?

The unit embarked in/on a transport is never considered part of the transport. However the range of powers, auspex, etc is normally measured from the hull for range purposes.

One thing is clear though. Under the 4th ed. rules Land Raider transports were classed as their own unit for the purposes of Victory Points - that should carry over to 5th ed, ie you cannot nominate a unit and its LR transport as a single unit for the purposes of the free shots granted by the Mystics.

@Tauren, that last line confused me a bit, why do units inside transports have to shoot at the same target as the transport?

The unit embarked in/on a transport is never considered part of the transport. However the range of powers, auspex, etc is normally measured from the hull for range purposes.

Do they not?

Do they not?

I know of two instances at least that say they do not that I am familiar with:

Imperial Guardsmen using the lasguns on the hull of the Chimera/top hatch.. they fire at a different unit than the Chimera itself.

Sisters/Stormtroopers firing out of the firing slits/top hatch of a Repressor.. they may fire at a different unit than the transport itself.

I believe Ork units and open topped transports also work thusly.

Archived