New to Chaos, 40k in general

Bi66z

Hey guys, I am pretty new to the whole 40k game, and currently I have a tyranid army which I have fun playing with but my mind is still drawn back to Chaos! I love everything about CSM from the looks, to what little fluff I have read, to just about everything. While I like the nid army I basically bought it because it was the cheapest of the box sets (tyranid assault brood) and I wish I would have done my research a little better because I can get the Chaos Renegade Strike force set for like 190 shipped! I will be picking this up and be well on my way to the army I have wanted to play for a while now. Something about dark gods and immortality that I just cant get over lol!

OK, here is my onslaught of questions...

First, I want to play black legion as their color scheme is just awesome imo (yes black and gold or bronze or whatever it is, kinda plain but whatever still love em) and I see armies online or in White Dwarf that have a mixture of units. For example a black legion army that uses nurgle plague marines (using that almost mint looking blue for color) and some lists combine like khorne berzerkers and whatever else. How does this work? I am under the understanding that with SM you cant use marneus calgar in like a blood angels army (or can you? not that I care) or certain units are restricted to their respective chapters. Is CSM the same way or can you just use whatever? I like how chaos armies have a variety of color schemes and its not all uniform and plain (though having a majority of the same theme, like black legion is still awesome) so how does it work with building an army? Whats with choosing gods (is it like choosing a chapter? or with one god can you use units from another? like using slaanesh and khorne stuff together?) Sorry I am just really confused on how all that works. I am getting that renegade strike force and while most of everything in that box will be themed out as black legion, I will be buying, plague marines, maybe berzerkers depending on how these answers come in. Obliterators (which obviously just have their own look to them, daemon princes, etc.) I just want to get this all clear before I go painting and dropping a ton of money.

Thanks for your help, sorry for being teh nub cakes!

Welcome to the Dark Side. :wacko:

Chaos isn`t restricted like space marines. You basicly do what you want and everything can be in one army. The thing about choosing 1 god, is because some people want there army to be fluffy. So Chaos is do want every you want.

You can try and be fluffy, or not. YOu can pretty much take whatever units you want. You could play a strictly "undivided" force if you so choose- CSM, Raptors, Bikes, and all Vehicles are fair game.

Or you could do the plague marines, dual lash demon princes with 3 squads of 2 obliterators. Your call!

Also, SOME people have decided that when black legion takes beserkers, plague marines, etc, that extra black is needed to make the squad more awesome. YMMV.

in the old dex, if you chose legion specific armies you were restricted. and cults troops were different on the force chart if not led by a leader with the same mark.

BUT

thankfully they did away with that and you are now free to take what you want.... forget fluff, have fun!

That is great news! While I am sure further down the road I will start to make my armies more unique or fluff/legion specific I would prefer to be able to play the game without such restriction. Black Legion and World Eaters stand out the most to me so those may very well be the majority of my painting schemes. Though I do like the plague marines done with the nurgle theme where they are total grunge and just accented with rust/waste/etc. Thanks guys for your input!

we think very similarly. both black legion and world eaters first appealed to me. and now i'm working on adding some plague marines to my list.

you sure you haven't been copying my list? just messing with ya.

i think its even better that cult marines have become their own unit rather just a unit of chaos marines with a mark....

I'm a BL player too and i agree on the colorscheme. I use a lot of gold not bronze myself. Occassionally with a bit extra boltgun instead of gold. It has a regal Dark Knight edge. And the BL has a rich and prominent history. It's in the current fluff probably the most succesful legion overall and led by the most important Chaos Lord around. Due to the many Compagnies and warbands affiliated to it, your force can be greatly finetuned to suit your own needs and the background of your own lord.

As for what is allowed. Pretty much everything you can use. What you described can perfectly work in a BL force. Though i myself have opted not to use Cult units. You can give the Cult units a semi BL scheme or fully that of their original legion (and thus use it in other 'pure' forces). Oblits are great, have a few would definitely be a plus.

I play with 2 squads of MOS troops and 1 MOK beserker troops. Rest of the elite are either MOS of CG, so CSM are very flexible regarding god choices. Quite a bit more flexible than Daemons with the same gods. I don't play nurgle sign, as I don't really like the look of the models, but their stats are great and some people, swear by them. I'm thinking of getting noise marines, as another troop choice, though mainly for the blasters and MOS thing that is inherent with noise marines. There are some decent painting tips for Black Legion on GW site. You can make your colors BL and still take marks from any of the gods, if you wish. Good luck.

Archived