Honor Guard Squads

Sunderheart

Good day.

My situation is the following:

I am known among my friends for insanity and as such I have played around with the idea of actually using Marneus Calgar as a primary HQ-Choice. His Macragge-ship however gives me the right to bring a boat-load of honor-guards into play and applying full insanity, I can field 3 squads of 10 Models.

My problem is:

Does this mean I actually field 3 Chapter Champions? I remember, it said somewhere, that I am only allowed to bring ONE Chapter-Banner bearer into play, which fluff- and balancing-wise made sense to me. Regarding fluff, I would say, I am also allowed only one Champion, however I do not see any rule keeping me from bringing 3 of them.

And since I know, some wise ass will try to tell me the full madness of this:

Yes, I know that this would cost me above 1355 points, most likely leaving me with two 5-man scout-sqauds without anti-tank support in a 1750-points game.

You can have a champion and banner in each honour guard unit, regardless of any 'fluff' restrictions.

I would suggest that if you take a HG unit that you attach Marneus and a chappy to make best use of his rerolls..

An LRC is the perfect deliver system for Marneus and chappy in tda and 10 HG...

If you want any more tips, i advise you check out the uber CC librarium article written by Captain Idaho, it covers all the relevant issues.

for the third

GC08

Well, page 129, but close enough :lol:

If I may just ask (similarly, but not quite the same), if you take two chapter masters, none which were Marneus Calgar, and took two Honor Guards, can you still take two Chapter Banners? And to try and keep to the thread... Am I to interpret the rules correctly that if you have Marneus Calgar and another Chapter Master, you can also have two Chapter Banners (that Master of the Ultramarines only affect the 3 Honor Guards that Calgar can bring?)?

(If yes, then you can field 4 Honor Guards... :blush: though its getting very absurd)

Well lets say its Marneus and Kantor, that has you looking at a 900 ish start value. That gets you 3 bonus attack generators(keeping Kantor away from those with the banners of course).

That's just 14 models.

Having Just Kantor and a Generic CM might be a beter starting point, get them a pair of landraiders and find some other place to store Kantor, might be a funnier start :)

Okay, the idea of 4 honor guards is...tempting. :D

I'll try to answer it, however bear in mind that I have a german version of the codex and even though I am quite capable of translating all that, it might have a different nuance of meaning in the english original.

Literally translated, the german version is:

For EACH Chapter-Master you may deploy ONE honour-guard squad.

Granted that his Calgarness will take his three squads into battle, you can end up with four honour guards total.

HOWEVER - Translating the text from Marneus Calgars rules, you get the following:

If your army contains Marneus, you may deploy up to 3 squads of honour guards instead of the usual one squad PER Chapter-Master. Only ONE squad may have the banner.

Taking this into account, to me this sounds like, you may bring only 3 squads and 1 banner into play, regardless of the number of Chapter-Masters fielded. To me the text sounds like a general limitation to the number of honour-guard squads. 2 CMs allow you 2 squads, as Marneus allows you 3, with or without a second CM.

Personally, this my opinion and if any of you die-hard gamers have a better/other/correct version on this, please share. I find the opportunity of 2 Orbital Bombardments and 4 honour-guards intriguing. :D

If your army contains Marneus, you may deploy up to 3 squads of honour guards instead of the usual one squad PER Chapter-Master. Only ONE squad may have the banner.

Neither Honor Guard nor Chapter Banner ever make any mention of being restricted. To me, it seems quite clear that the restrictions in Marneus's block are quite simply, his restrictions. They are his modifications to the usual rules possessed by those choices. They could have extrapolated and spelled everything out literally, but that's really not needed here as it isn't a general rules section, but that of one specific model.

I am not quite sure, if these rules can be described as "his restrictions". After all, it says: "If your army..." Sounds to me, the restriction (why is it called restriction, it is a damn bonus, right?) applies to all further descisions along the way regarding "your armies" list. That taken into consideration, the banner would be "restricted" to a "one only".

But okay, granted my version of a codex being in a language which has definitely too many articles, pronouns and overall grammar and the fact, that I am sort of a rookie player, I agree more or less, that the box with Marneus rules appears as Marneus rules only.

Archived