A Chaos Terminator Heavy approach?

Magnus Thane

I was wondering if anyone could linke me to an army list that relies heavily on masses of deepstriking Terminators and has a good dose of Oblits. I'm trying to work my way into a list that works around Abaddons favourite tactic of deepstriking and taking out the 'head'.

But i'm unsure on how to best pull it of, hence i'd like one or two references to work around.

It doesn't need to be supercompetitive, just has to work and have a fighting chance.

Also, i have 3 Oblits. How worthwhile is it to field more than 3 in 2000 pts games?

Vehicle wise i only have 2 Rhinos and 1 Pred. In a deepstriking list will i need to get 1 or 2 more rhinos to get a squad into place for deepstriking or should 2 fast advancers usually be enough?

Ok.... the only list that springs to mind is the chaos-wing list, its basically a chaos version of the death wing army build.... unfortunately.... it sucks. Your termis are more expensive than deathwing (who are by no means cheap), and your standard cc weaponry isn't nearly as effective (although TL-boltgun is actually slightly better than stormbolter when used wth TDA).

As for the oblits... I run 2 at 1500, i'd only run 3 at 2000.... they are good, but not great. If you want more, then i'd suggest 2 2 man units, 4 oblits should be enough to get the job done... and if they are not.. then your in serious trouble anyway.

Ok.... the only list that springs to mind is the chaos-wing list, its basically a chaos version of the death wing army build.... unfortunately.... it sucks. Your termis are more expensive than deathwing (who are by no means cheap), and your standard cc weaponry isn't nearly as effective (although TL-boltgun is actually slightly better than stormbolter when used wth TDA).

Uhh, what? Chaos terminators are way cheaper than deathwing and have much more flexible cc weapon options. A chaos terminator with a fist or claws is the same price as a deathwing one. The only difference is the lack of thunderhammers+stormshields but combi weapons with a few fists are way better anyway. The only thing deathwing has over chaos is fearless and 1st turn deepstrike.

Hmm if I was to do that, I'd probably put little emphasis on the Troop squads (which is not normal for me).

I'd take either 7 man Plasmagun Plague Marine squad in Rhinos or 10 Man CSM Plasmagun squads in Rhinos. Cost you around 500 points.

With the remaining points I'd take 2 Terminator HQs, 3 Terminators squads of 6-8 guys geared up for a variety of opponents. Probably 2 bodyguard squads and 1 straight dakka squad. This will be about 1000 points depending.

Then take 2 squads of 2 Obliterators. Another 300 or so.

Your troop's so job should be in capturing objectives and supporting your Terminators.

The only thing deathwing has over chaos is fearless and 1st turn deepstrike.

and being scoring. what kind of nails down the whole idea of a termi chaos army as a good list. we also dont have crusaders as transports so we cant build a hth termi army [and 5 man squads are too small for hth unless its SS/TH , but thank god DW doesnt have those].

but if you really want a termi army and dont care about game play then miniguns idea is probablly best . only I would try to put 2 demon squads too . playing with just 2 troops is too hardcore for me.

Hmm if I was to do that, I'd probably put little emphasis on the Troop squads (which is not normal for me).

I'd take either 7 man Plasmagun Plague Marine squad in Rhinos or 10 Man CSM Plasmagun squads in Rhinos. Cost you around 500 points.

With the remaining points I'd take 2 Terminator HQs, 3 Terminators squads of 6-8 guys geared up for a variety of opponents. Probably 2 bodyguard squads and 1 straight dakka squad. This will be about 1000 points depending.

Then take 2 squads of 2 Obliterators. Another 300 or so.

Your troop's so job should be in capturing objectives and supporting your Terminators.

I like this idea alot.

I should be able to make 3 10 Man CSM squads. Though for now i only have 2 rhino's. I could order one together with the Chaos Terminator box (the big one for Apocalypse)

What's a dakka squad?

I assume this list is still focussing on using the Marks to deep strike the termies?

Also is there a specific Chaos Terminator build that's good at long range?

We're slowly going to work our way up to Apocalypse level. Basically locally we're going to try and get the WH40K scene going by a tournament building up from 500pts onwards. So next week i'm just going to have to field 500 pts. But i'm planning to slowly gear my army towards extremely Termie heavy for Apocalypse.

Any other advice?

I was thinking of purchasing that mega box of Termies AND a Defiler. But perhaps an additional rhino instead of a Defiler would be better?

That way i have 3 squads of 10 CSM's. (though one has an icon of Khorne) to use to grab objectives while the Termies arse used agressively and through deepstriking, supported by my oblits?

Would that work?

Currently i have 3 Oblits, two rhino's, a Las pred, A Termie Lord with lightning claws, a sorceror termie lord, 10 Termies, a colossal horde of CSMS with heavy bolters, plasma guns, flamers,... and three havocs with a lascannon.

Aah i see. Well currently i have a heavy flamer, two combiflamers, 2 combiplasmas. All the specially armed ones have either a powerfist or a chainfist and the rest are just the basic equipment for Chaos Termies. Bar one i somehow foolishly ended up giving a fist and a normal weapon.

Awwww a shame.

*scratches head*

Hmmm what should i get then?

Hmmm an extra Rhino and a Defiler?

Some more Oblits and a Rhino?

Given the number of Termies i have i'm still going to use two squads though otherwise it would be a waste of money.

Nonsense! I have used 10 man squads in conjunction with a lash sorceror. Pull one squad into 10 termies and use 2 combi-flamers to burn them all. Note, some bolters must fire regular shots as well. It can work. It's not perfect. I doubt it's reliable. Multiple small units is probably more flexible and dangerous than one large squad. :)

10-man squads have the survivability to walk across the field; even against IG armored companies.

DISCLAIMER: I do not, have not, and will not play in tournaments.

Nonsense! I have used 10 man squads in conjunction with a lash sorceror. Pull one squad into 10 termies and use 2 combi-flamers to burn them all. Note, some bolters must fire regular shots as well. It can work. It's not perfect. I doubt it's reliable. Multiple small units is probably more flexible and dangerous than one large squad. :)

10-man squads have the survivability to walk across the field; even against IG armored companies.

DISCLAIMER: I do not, have not, and will not play in tournaments.

I might give that a try actually. Sounds cool!

Besides i don't play real tournies either, nor will i, at best a local competition we players organize.

2 squads of 5 is more practical i believe. you can spread them up and kill twice as much. heavy flamer if more useful since it's way cheaper and you won't be shooting much anyway.

Sounds interesting.

And what is the merit of 'bare bone' Termie squads? I read that some players like using those.

2 squads of 5 is more practical i believe. you can spread them up and kill twice as much. heavy flamer if more useful since it's way cheaper and you won't be shooting much anyway.

Sounds interesting.

And what is the merit of 'bare bone' Termie squads? I read that some players like using those.

Dirt cheap. Remember, on average 5 terminators and 10 marines are the same difficulty to kill. However for marines to be worth taking, they need special weapons, an icon, powerfist champ, and rhino. Termies come with power weapons, some nice dakka guns and deepstrike. An average marine squad run 255 points. A bare bones terminator squad is 150, maybe 170 with upgrades and takes the same amount of firepower to drop and is stronger in CC against MEQs.

Hmmm interesting.

I find it terribly confusing. Some people are radically pro, some radically anti and some in between on the use of Termies.

The idea of fielding a large unit of 'basic' termies is something i may try out in time. Especially since i'll have quite a few soon.

I find it terribly confusing. Some people are radically pro, some radically anti and some in between on the use of Termies.

Alot of it is playstyle and as Jeske's found of saying, your meta-game, that being the specific trends/armies/players you play with.

If everyone you play with is an Ork footslogging horde, the 3 Combi-Melta Termi-cide squad is pretty much useless, on the other hand if everyone plays with heavy armor/mechanized, then its a great little buy.

Not knowing about your own game, I start in the middle. Take a 4-5 man balanced squad and practice with them. If you find them too big/too expensive go to a smaller squad. If you find them not having enough bodies, go bigger.

5 Terminators, 1 Power Fist, 1 Heavy Flamer, 3 Combi-Meltas = 180 points which is less than most troop squads and able to fight horde/MEQ/MCs/Tanks

I've got 2 squads. Anti-tank and Anti-infantry. I got swept up in the combi weapon craze when the codex his so I made 8 combi weapons. Everyone was doing combi plasma so I wanted to be different. I was lost in potential I tell you! I regret not having a single TL bolter on my terminators. 10 guys and the only one to have a regular TL bolter is my commander.

A kitten dies.

AT: 5 men. 4 Combi-meltas. Reaper, Power Fist, Chainfist.

AP: 5 men. 4 Combi-flamers, Heavy Flamer, Chainfist.

I only combine them when I'm looking for a 'jolly good time' which is actually 1 in 3 games.

Alot of it is playstyle and as Jeske's found of saying, your meta-game, that being the specific trends/armies/players you play with.

If everyone you play with is an Ork footslogging horde, the 3 Combi-Melta Termi-cide squad is pretty much useless, on the other hand if everyone plays with heavy armor/mechanized, then its a great little buy.

Not knowing about your own game, I start in the middle. Take a 4-5 man balanced squad and practice with them. If you find them too big/too expensive go to a smaller squad. If you find them not having enough bodies, go bigger.

5 Terminators, 1 Power Fist, 1 Heavy Flamer, 3 Combi-Meltas = 180 points which is less than most troop squads and able to fight horde/MEQ/MCs/Tanks

QFT .

I am mainlly a tournament player [or I rather was] and as I travel a lot I play against a lot of different armies and differnt opponents . So yeah , techniclly speaking if you play against 3/4 people and you know their whole model collection its easier to tailor an army [what I dont support because it end up with people who cant keep up with the models race to quit the game]. 10 termi with 2 hvy flamers against a kroot army ?hell yeah . against anything else , not that good .

Archived