Salamanders Techmarine

Pyriel

Or how to restore beyond-crap-all miniatures.

Got this one cheap from a guy since I liked the mini but unfortunately the state of this one was of total disaster.

He had put the arms and servos together with something I guess was chewing gum and it was really thick with old paint and generally mistreated.

I let the mini soak in thinner over night but not even that helped, not even when I suined a toothbrush WITH thinner on the mini.

A lot of the paint was still clogging up the recesses and the "chewing gum" was all over the mini so after a frustrating battle where I used a pocket knife I could finally start painting it but bear in mind that STILL a lot of the cracks and power cables are filled with old paint and um, "chewing gum" so painting was really hard and also a reason I never really put in an effort into it.

Though I really got to like the mini so the next one will see more attention.

The bolter is my own part-sculpt since I wanted a combiflamer that looks cool and not just some flamer glued onto a bolter.

Here goes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Pyriel/Miniatures/tech5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Pyriel/Miniatures/tech3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Pyriel/Miniatures/tech1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Pyriel/Miniatures/tech2.jpg

and hope you like the mushroom and "kryptonite" chrystals.

Yeah I know I´m slow but the mushroom and chrystal tutorial is on the way, bear with me.

IamJacks:

Yeah I dont like the salamanders techmarine colour scheme either but what can I do:P

Vash113:

Its more red then brown, camera might have turned the colours a bit I guess.

I kinda experimented with the red colours and settled for "marsh red".

The next tecchie will look better as I´d learn from the mistakes made in this one.

Very impressive work, particularly considering the original condition of the mini. However, just one question... Why a combi flamer? The servo harness contains a normal flamer as it is...

Regardless, that is one awesome wee combi flamer he's got there. It always bugged me that for only a single shot, GW stuck the whole of the secondary weapon to the bolter in a rather orkish fashion. Yours looks like it was crafted for the purpose intended. I'd like to see some sternguard with these!

Al

Glad you like the mini despite its flaws :)

Liltom:

The tecchie can shoot a harness weapon and an arm weapon in the same turn so I figured that this way for peanut points he can deepstrike in and let loose with two flame templates.

Think of putting the guy with an assault squad in a drop pod, you´d get 4 flamers on the drop :)

Alys Dwr:

Oh I´m working on 12 of those, all super customised.

I really like the brown/red colour, adds that 'anicent artifcer' feel to him as if he has endured years of service and repair the chapters tanks. Considering you said this model was a complete junk heap with paint that even clogs sewage and you never put effort in, that model looks like a golden demon entry to me quite easily. Then again the curse of the artist kicks in: the artist can never fully appreciate his own work due to him knowing all the faults and where they are to be found.

An idea if you have to try this again. I had gotten an Eldar Avatar from GenCon that I intended to create into a Slaaneshi demon prince. It was also treated quite poorly and the amount of glue used to put it together probably took an entire bottle of Zap. Anyways I took some advise and tried boiling the mini. It took the better part of an evening, but after some picking at it I ended up getting most of the odd paint and glue off the metal.

You did an outstanding job considering such poor care of this wonderful model.

Archived