Command Squad Drop Pod

War Angel

i know its not going to be very Killhammer, but my current army is working great with DPng tac squads, but my HQ choice just isnt doing it for me.im currently running a chap on bike that i used in 3rd ed, along with some biker support, and its just not doing what it needs to for me. so im thinking, to go along with my fluff, that i should pick up a command squad and lay down something impressive with the rest of my ODST boys. im aware of the fact that a unit comming in Via DP, due to there inability to assault, should be a very shooty squad, but that's just not what a command squad is ment to do... what with a company champian, and a standard, there really ment to be put into the thick of it, and a company commander is a great CC model. what kind of guns should i put on these guys so that i can keep them around long enough to assault?

Attach your HQ to a Sternguard squad. They still assault as well as the regular dudes in an assault squad, and have the ablative wounds to keep your character safe when landing.

Command squads are too small to survive a lot of incoming fire, and you can bet your britches that if you drop a 5 man command squad with a character attached, it's going to recieve a LOT of incoming firepower.

BTW, you forgot the 'p' at the end of 'War'.

:D

BTW, you forgot the 'p' at the end of 'War'.

B)

that was entirely axidental, i made the name some time last year, didnt even notice it when i was reading hundreds of youre killahammer strat's last night. lol

Command squads are too small to survive a lot of incoming fire, and you can bet your britches that if you drop a 5 man command squad with a character attached, it's going to recieve a LOT of incoming firepower.

can i not bolster my CS to make it a full 10 man drop pod? cant i even make it bigger? dont have the rules on me but i think DP's carry 12 for some reason...

thanks for the advice though, ill take a look at the pointcost on a Sternguard squad and see what the comparison is.

if a 9 man Sternguard has a charicter attached, can it combat squad or does it need 10 + the charicter?

Command squads for vanilla marines are fixed in squad size at 5 models.

Drop Pods hold up to 12 models. So you can attach one or two characters to a single 10 man squad.

Sternguard can buy a drop pod at any squad size, but cannot combat squad unless there are 10 of them.

All squads in reserve are unable to combat squad, so you cannot deploy a dropped squad split into two combat squads.

You're incorrect regarding the combat squads. (you may be thinking of the rule in the BA codex which is different to the C:SM)

Splitting into combat squads is decided at time of deployment (whether or not from reserve). It specifically refers to drop pods and states that squads can be split as they disembark.

this is somewhat upsetting, as i really wanted to create a company banner and such for these guys... though i suppose i can simply have a sternguard carry the standard...dosnt HAVE to actualy count as a standard.

this gives me more reason to simply use a RB for my command squad though.

• 2 weeks later...
You could take a Chapter Master and bring along a 10 man Honor Guard with banner. Just going to be ridiculously expensive. :D

And useless, I think, in a Drop Pod in enemy lines, as it just begs for a Vindicator shot!

Archived