Night Lord Fluff

Spareknikov

I've recently started planning some more fluff for circulation amongst friends, and I stumbled across this idea.

A Night Lord with a Sword and a shield...

Would this work, considering their background? I think it would, but the largest worry is thinking if others would agree... Please help!

The Night Lord theme is usually 'terrifying' and 'striking quck and decisive', so shields are not what you would usually expect, since they are rather a safe or defensive way of fighting. 'Safe' and 'defensive' are not what you would normally associate with a Night Lord. Chaos Marines in general are more on the destructive side than on the defensive.

All are good points.

In game terms it would be useful to describe the 5+Inv.Sv, and I could further add to that by dedicating him to Tzeentch to represent his efficiency with the 'weapon' combination.

It would be a little odd to see a member of a swift striking chapter equipped with a shield, but I was thinking of the often used Night Lord description that their commanders would use careful planning to minimise casualties and inflict greater numbers of such on the enemy. If it was needed, wouldn't such an item come in handy? I have seen the Raven Guard use shields from time to time, as well as many other chapters with rapidly assaulting units.

This character I had in mind would use the shield to also strike fear into his enemies hearts (sorry for the cliche) by the multitude of eyes upon the shield which stare at the enemies etc. I thought the shield from the new WF Chaos Knights on Horseback would be perfect for this. I thought this would also fit in with the idea of the Night Lords using Chaos to their own ends rather than worshipping it.

The Night Lord theme is usually 'terrifying' and 'striking quck and decisive', so shields are not what you would usually expect, since they are rather a safe or defensive way of fighting. 'Safe' and 'defensive' are not what you would normally associate with a Night Lord. Chaos Marines in general are more on the destructive side than on the defensive.
I agree.

There's also nothing in the fluff that supports the use of shields.

However, it's your fluff and your army, so if you want them to have shields then go for it. :P

I agree.

There's also nothing in the fluff that supports the use of shields.

However, it's your fluff and your army, so if you want them to have shields then go for it. :P

If there's nothing in support, then I assume it's safe to say there's nothing anathema to them not using shields?

I suppose as long as I can back it up, I could use it. It also makes the character more unique, so that's a bonus. Thanks everyone, that's put my mind at ease. I might post some pictures of him if I ever get around to doing him for the tabletop.

Thanks again!

I can't find the picture of it, but there is a shield with blades on either side, seems like a natural addition for a Night Lord.

As other have said, any kind of trophy/terror shield would be very appropriate.

I say go for it!

Agree with Legatus and Nihm, it is much more terrifying to see some destructive weapon or corpses of you mates than someone under the shield. Strategy of the Night Lords is fear and horror. So the only fluffy shield - body of still alive enemy with cutted of hands and legs. When you're fighting against space marines - this shield is almost made of power armour.

This character I had in mind would use the shield to also strike fear into his enemies hearts (sorry for the cliche) by the multitude of eyes upon the shield which stare at the enemies etc. I thought the shield from the new WF Chaos Knights on Horseback would be perfect for this. I thought this would also fit in with the idea of the Night Lords using Chaos to their own ends rather than worshipping it.

If you can get daemon weaposn, why not daemon shields? The sprirt of a daemon trying to force its way out of being imprisoned in a shield has got to be fairly terrifying, especially if it's in your face during combat. A bit like this

A bit like this

An Arthur fan I see! I couldn't help but laugh at that episode, that actor I've only ever known as 'Gaz' from 'Two Pints...' (the shield in your face is compelling though, imagine an eyeball the size of your head gazing at you)

Yeah, I was thinking of using the shield and the weapon (sword) as the Deathscreamer Daemon weapon. Due to the rules of the Deathscreamer splitting the weapon into two phases, I thought why not have the shield scare the crap out of people with the staring eyes and shoot etc. people with Daemonic energies whilst the sword is used for what swords were meant for all these millennia.

A bit like this

An Arthur fan I see! I couldn't help but laugh at that episode, that actor I've only ever known as 'Gaz' from 'Two Pints...' (the shield in your face is compelling though, imagine an eyeball the size of your head gazing at you)

Yeah, I was thinking of using the shield and the weapon (sword) as the Deathscreamer Daemon weapon. Due to the rules of the Deathscreamer splitting the weapon into two phases, I thought why not have the shield scare the crap out of people with the staring eyes and shoot etc. people with Daemonic energies whilst the sword is used for what swords were meant for all these millennia.

I'd stear clear of the tzeentch and khorne daemon weapons if I were you. Too much potential for self harm. I'd go with the slaneeshi weapon, what with the overwhelming majority of the new space marine characters being oh so vunerable to instant death. Just my humble opinion though.

A bit like this

I'd stear clear of the tzeentch and khorne daemon weapons if I were you. Too much potential for self harm. I'd go with the slaneeshi weapon, what with the overwhelming majority of the new space marine characters being oh so vunerable to instant death. Just my humble opinion though.

Did you take into account the 4+ invulnerable save that MoT lords get against Daemon Weapons rebelling?

A bit like this

Did you take into account the 4+ invulnerable save that MoT lords get against Daemon Weapons rebelling?

Only a shade better then the 5+ save the other lords get. Still think instant death trumps it

A bit like this

Only a shade better then the 5+ save the other lords get. Still think instant death trumps it

Even so, it increases the odds a fair amount. I've lost count of how many times (like everyone else, surely) I've needed to roll one less than what I needed to survive Instant Death or Power Weapon wounding. ;)

Come to think of it, I use a Khorne Lord w/Daemon Weapon from time to time, and approx.8/10 games he gives me no trouble, and he's never died from Rebellion without the aid of a certain Dark Angel Grandmaster... :)

i've seen a night lords use dark elf warrior shields with his night lords, they practically have the NL logo on them....

[linkie]

now THAT is a neat idea.

Maybe I could use that as an Honour Guard. Chosen, possibly?

But maybe that would be going too far, the Chaos Lord is a character, so maybe only the Champion of the Chosen would have it?

Archived