Wolf Scouts

frostclaw222

I haven't had a chance to use Wolf Scouts in a 5e game, and was wondering what sort of feedback everyone else might provide on the difference between what they were and what they are now, under 5e.

Ideally, I used to run three types of squads:

1) OBEL rear-armor and heavy infantry/HQ strike: plas, melta, all the fixins.

2) Sniper scouts: All sniper rifles

3) Harrying infiltrators: close combat equipped, but lighter on the heavy hitting kit.

Are there better configurations now? Which are successful in what sort of situations?

Just trying to get a handle on what the new old wolf scouts look like in 5e.

Personally I only have experience with a cheap OBEL squad, but it's performed wonders and does an awesome job at just causing havoc and disrupting a foe so the enemy is easier to destroy with the rest of my forces.

People who like them swear by them, few who use them dont swear by them. They are definitely, as an OBEL squad worth every point you pay for them, plus a couple. Thing being you can only have one OBEL squad, thus the main argument is wether or not its ever worth taking more than one.

OBEL ftw.

Armed with plasma and PW's I have had a squad take out the whole flank of a dark eldar army including a 20 man warrior squad (shot + charged) a raider and made a mess of a HQ including incubi with a spectacular round of shooting. I have even had a squad withstand a charge by a defiler, fall back then kill it with their melta. (All 5th)

Even a cheap squad can punch above their weight. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them.

Long Fang

If points are available I go for 2x Power Weapons, Meltabombs, a Plasma pistol and a Pack Leader with Twin Claws. Comes in at about 180pts, once racked up over 500pts of Guardsmen, and in another game 300ish points of DA.

Well, well worth it.

I love the scouts and in 5th edition are just as valuable, especially OBEL

Also, I might be the only one who used shotguns in the earlier editions (and had some success) but with them being Str 4 now instead of Str 3 I've had even more success with them.

72 points for four of them with shotguns and meltabombs? I can fit that in to any 750+ point army

I have a question:

What does OBEL mean????

It's a Space Wolf Scout special rule called "Operate Behind Enemy Lines." Sort of like Outflank where the scouts come in from reserves but from the opponents table edge.

My next purchase will be another 5 man WS pack

I will add them to my current list which will then have 2, 5 man WS squads. I plan to use one squad squad as OBEL and the second as a flying shooting platform on a Land Speeder Storm.

Think about 2 PP 1 Melta Gun and 2 Shot Gun wolves all hanging out and flying around in a Land Speeder that is able to go flat out, open top armed with of course a Multi Melta. This gives me the option of moving 12 inces and being able to fire all weapons. I would have no problem taking on Tanks, Terminators or pretty much anything on the table. That and I have the option to either Outflank or bring them on at the beginning using the scout move. For around 140 points.

Between the two WS packs using outflank and OBEL along with my DPing Terminators I should be able to hit the enemy from all sides.

The list I am using is posted in our army list section under the title 1850 scout heavy that is if anyone wants to look it over.

WG Vrox

Personally I love my Scouts and think they are invaluable in 5th ed.

For 96 or so points I get 4 scouts armed with a MG, PW and everyone packing MBs. They can do some damage in CC if need be, but more than anything they are an awesome Surprise! tank busting unit.

I'm actually in the process of skimming down my 2k list so I can boost them up to 5men with 2PW, MG, PP, and MBs all around, thus making them a nasty anti-tank / CC hunting force. I mean someone hiding a vehicle in their deployment zone? Send these guys. Someones Dark Reapers/Devastators/etc buggin you? These guys will take care of em.

Basically they are an extremely effective and cheap unit which can be geared to do just bout anything

well i currently only run 5 WS w/ PW,PP,Melta (some time metlabombs) most people us lots of tanks and it is really fun to force them to move and not get the best shooting their first turn. there are also some marine players around, one of which runs a LR along the side table edge. when i see him set up like this, i flank them. works well.

i plan to buy a squad of six with snipers, and maybe a HB. and another squad of six OBEL-ers, and another random one to top of my squad above.

i have used proxies in a game where i used 3 squads of scouts (1 with snpiers/HB, one OBEL, and one with LSS), which was kind of really fun, didn't work the best but that was because i didn't really think of putting the list together until right before the game. i made a better list, but have tried it out yet.

In a good tourny style lists, I wouldn't live without them. 6 with 2 pw, Flamer, Melta bombs, Frag, and if I can spare the points a pack leader with a PF or TH. - Can kill anything, large squads, MCs, Tanks, ect... They can be fragile, and against a good opponent, not as useful, but will ALWAYS change the game some way. - They are a great elite unit. Just don't get them killed too quickly.

I actually played a game with 3 squads, 1 OBEL, and 2 in LS Storms with HF. (Gave those squads Melta guns) They preformed well to say the least....

It looks like the opinion of most people is, get them, OBEL them, and either run them as a heavy versitile unit, or a light tank killing unit.

I never play without them I have a maxed out squad all BP, CCW, and melta bombs. Then I add on a wolf guard leader with a combi melta, PW, and melta bombs. Great for tank hunting. I've been tooling with the idea of taking a second 5 man armed the same way and outflanking with them

I've had great success recently against the Tau with a couple of suits causing me grief in the back field. My Plasma equiped Scout squad made short work and cost around 110 points. On the other hand I've had them suffer at the hands of the Eldar when I havent used them smartly, but hey you live and learn right.

I ALWAYS use one squad in every list. You can't beat four guys with a melta arriving in thier backfield for only 66pts!! And if I can find the points I add PP and MB. If I know I'll be fighting an army who stays away, maybe a few PWs and a leader with a full 6-man squad. Thier only drawback is the 4+ armor so I usually just go bare-bones and they always cause a mess of trouble for my opponents and offsett my overall lack of heavy weapons with long range.

G

I have only used Space Wolves once as I am building and painting the models at the moment (along with the other armies I have). I used 3 full squads with melta bombs and had each led by a battle leader with meltabombs and 4 wolves.

One squad used OBEL and took out a land raider crusader and 2 dreadnoughts before being rapid fired to death by every squad within range, a second used outflank and wiped out 2 units in melee and the third did not appear at all.

I will definately be using them again.

Point of Fact: A battle leader can't OBEL or outflank with a squad of scouts as he doesn't have the required special rules. However you can take a pack leader for each squad; he can't use wolves, but is cheaper than the WGBL.

G

Point of Fact: A battle leader can't OBEL or outflank with a squad of scouts as he doesn't have the required special rules. However you can take a pack leader for each squad; he can't use wolves, but is cheaper than the WGBL.

G

in thier entry for both infiltrate and OBEL, it clearly states that both the special rules apply to the Pack Leader as well, however you cant take termi armor for him, as no amount of experience makes up for that amount of bulk

EDIT:

dammit, i just noticed that you were saying a Battle leader couldnt, not a Pack leader, my apololgys

QUOTE (G. A. K. @ Jan 23 2009, 01:42 PM)

G

---------------------------------------------

Thanks for that. As I said it was my first time using the list and in fairness to me I did show the list to 4 different club members and 2 staffers asking for comments the week before I played and my opponent has been using Wolves since 3rd Ed and even he didn't pick up on that one.

At least this gives me a few points to play with for my next game.

Leon

Archived