whats in an undivided CSM list?

greatcrusade08

Hey to all traitorous vermin :)

Im playing a 1500 point game against a chaos undivided SM list...this is a freindly game but its playtesting my Ultra scout army, so i want to familiarise myslef with the units available to my opponent..

I have seen his army, but im none the wiser to what each unit is, i think he has chosen, havocs and a couple of units of CSM in rhinos, maybe some terms i cant really remember...

My question is, what do i need to watch out for (unit wise), what special rules do they have and what weaknesses can i exploit???

Any help in the spirit of playtesting greatfully received..

GC08

i think he has chosen, havocs and a couple of units of CSM in rhinos, maybe some terms i cant really remember...

My question is, what do i need to watch out for (unit wise), what special rules do they have and what weaknesses can i exploit???

The Undivided can be though to in 1 of 2 ways.

1) No Cult/Marked units of any sort, so no Berserkers, no Plague Marines, nothing with a god mark.

2) Any kind of Cult/Mark you want! Berserkers right next to Noise Marines.

From what you've said he has, he sounds like he probably's going with the 1st definition, which will be easier for you. In essence it looks like this:

Chosen = Sternguard without the special ammo but can Infiltrate

Havocks = Devastators but can take Special Weapons too

CSMs = Tactical squads with 2 attacks and 2 Special Weapons (normaly)

Terminators = cheaper, usually spammed with Combi-Weapons, come with Power Weapons stock

The biggest thing to worry about with a Chaos list is probably Lash of Submission. Its a psychic power thats normally on Slaaneshi Daemon Princes or Sorcerers. It lets them move your units around, normally about 7" so they can move you close to assault you, move you away to shoot you or squish you together to drop pie plates on you.

The 2nd biggest threat is Obliterators, these are 2 wound Terminator-like beings that can morph different energy weapons (so nothing with bullets). Biggest threat is LasCannons and Plasma Cannons. Usually taken in pairs and hid in cover to provide fire support. 2 Plasma Cannon shots work well with the Lashers (see above).

The 3rd biggest issue is that pretty much everything of Chaos is better in assault than Loyalists. Chaos is an army that works best within 24" of the opponent, however they can be quite shooty so beware.

If you have more detailed questions, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks MG762 that was pretty detailed.

Im not too worried about him being better at assault, as most of my guys are scouts!!!

I have a unit of SM bikers and a captain in there for some CC trouble, but i wanted to use that later after i have kited some units with Plamsa weapon firing to lower their numbers...

I must admit termies and oblits do worry me as i dont have too many heavy/special weapons, i have a couple of plasma weapons, a multi-melta and a couple of ML that have high enouigh AP, but ill mostly be relying on massed fire....

My list can be found here, if you want an in depth look.

As i said before its playtesting so i dont care too much if i lose, but im trying to give myself the best start to ensure i learn my units full potential....

Thanks again

GC08

but ill mostly be relying on massed fire....

Thats the best way really to handle Obliterators especially, if you just shoot the little stuff at them, it ignores the fact that they have a 5+ Inv save and atleast a 4+ cover save always. Sniper Scouts backed by a Heavy Bolter wouldn't be horrible.

The Bikers/Captain would be a good way to take our a Daemon Prince (if one is present). Just make sure you are packing atleast a Relic Blade if not backed up by a Power Fist.

but ill mostly be relying on massed fire....

Thats the best way really to handle Obliterators especially, if you just shoot the little stuff at them, it ignores the fact that they have a 5+ Inv save and atleast a 4+ cover save always. Sniper Scouts backed by a Heavy Bolter wouldn't be horrible.

The Bikers/Captain would be a good way to take our a Daemon Prince (if one is present). Just make sure you are packing atleast a Relic Blade if not backed up by a Power Fist.

Yeah my opponent doesnt do 'power-lists' so for the time being whilst im getting my feet wet, hes a great opponent.

So he wont have any deamons or MC's,

snipers are always a good option, cuz you never know when a rending roll will appear, ive got 2 units, but ive just started kitting them out with ML, as opposed to heavy bolters, and using then for single shot-single kill against MEQ.....seems to work.

The heavy bolters i put in normal scout units getting 10 scouts with heavy for 150 points...

GC08

Archived