Let the Galaxy Burn... maybe.

I'm returning to the hobby after a long absence and I'm looking to begin a new army (I sold my collection a couple ears ago!). I'm finding that the game has changed quite a bit since I've been gone and I've been trawling the internet and asking around as I gather information to help me figure out which army to play. I'd be grateful to anyone who can answer the following questions:

1. I love the new daemon models, the bloodletters especially. Can chaos marines still take them or are they only for Chaos Daemon armies now?

2. Same question, but in regards to the bloodletters on juggernauts - those models are great.

3. Is there any significant difference in army composition between the different legions in 5th edition? I'm interested in Black Legion, Word Bearers, and possibly World Eaters - is there a difference beyond the paint scheme?

Thanks in advance.

Hail,

CoS.

This thread would liley be better off in the chaos ascendent section, but I'll do what I can, and try not to confuse you too much.

1) Go ahead and use the models, unfortunately you can only use the generic lesser daemons rules found in the chaos marines codex, true bloodletters are only for daemon players now.

2) Same as above, you can use whatever you want for generic lesser daemons, though bloodcrushers might be a bit expensive and have far too big of a base.

3) Army composition is all down to what you choose to take, there are no rules, such as extra heavy support for iron warriors, like there was in the old codex, but it's still possible to make a fluffy legion army, in fact you just gain the options for other units if you want to.

Hopefully that cleared up a few things, if not, just say and I'll try harder :(

Edit- There is of course nothing stopping you from collecting daemons and chaos marines and allying them in apocalypse, and daemons are a great army anyway.

Malachi's got the basics down.

Chaos Marines and Daemons have been split into 2 separate armies. Chaos Marines can make use of generic lesser and greater daemons, but the rules for Bloodletters, Bloodcrushers, and the like are used in the Daemon book as a standalone army.

You can mix in Apocalypse, but not normal games unless your opponents are ok with it.

If you want to use the Bloodcrushers my suggestion and I cant beleive I didnt think of this earler would be to use one as a Summoned Greater Daemon. Actually I really like that idea. . .

Blood for Lorgar! haha :huh:

The new Codex isnt actually that bad just limiting. You have to be a bit more creative which isnt always a bad thing.

Disciple

And, if you are creative enough, you can use the Counts-As rule to use whatever unit in the codex and say what you want it to be. Most people won't object to Noise Marines in a Death Guard army as long as you can explain them in some way. Of course there will always be people with the horizon of a fruit fly who wont accept it but well...

well I see forcing two or three legions working for you as a big thing . an important thing . GW even if it fluff has holes and is offten retconed or contradicted itself , tends to write something about important stuff . If in the w40k history was a man who forced more then one legion to work for him , he would be dead by now , because there can only be one strongest leader for chaos and abadon wouldnt let another take his place and as the fluff is frozen at the end of 13th crusade with abadon alive , I dont see much chance for anyone like that coming in the near or further future [real life that is].

After a lot of waffling, I decided to bite the bullet and collect chaos marines after all. I can do without the juggernauts, and just to get it out of my system I picked up a box of bloodletters to act as the generic summoned demons.

Now that Neal from The Warstore has most of my money (it couldn't go to a better business person!) the only thing left to do is wait for my order to arrive and start painting Word Bearers.

Well it has been mentioned that 'lesser' Warlords have launched their own Crusades.

But let us not forget there is a difference between uniting the Legions en masse or drawing them into the Black Legion and lead for example a warband which has members dedicated to a specific god. Or which is composed out of left over remnants of a campaign gone wrong. It happens that Legion followers defect. And it happens that 'non Legion' Plague Marines and the likes pop up.

So a ragtag warband that's non Legion yet has diverse Cult Troops under a single powerful Chaos Lord is certainly possible. And in fact as far as i know has been so for years fluffwise.

Archived