Is it considered fluffy ....

Billy Butcher

If the Black Legion included some remnants of say the World Eaters etc?

Basically I just acquired a large Chaos force - 30 Death Guard pre-painted (to a high standard), a load of Forgeworld World Eater conversion kits (hence the WE question) and a truck load more besides.

Essentially I'm after an established unit where it's fluffily feasible to have parts of other legions present.

TIA

Well i'm a BL player.

There are a few possibilities:

You can keep things as is, perfectly.

Recent fluff does underline that the Black Legion appeals to many Chaos Space Marines and Lords who join Abbadon's force. They tend to indicate their allegiance to the Black Legion. This can be extreme: A large repaint, taking over the emblem and colorscheme of the Black Legion with for instance one shoulderpad and/or small portion of body indicating previous allegiance. On the other hand you can do the opposite and have only a small portion (most likely shoulderpad) indicate the colors and/or emblem of the Black Legion.

Both roads, keeping as is and recoloring (somewhat) are equally feasable.

A bit of recoloring/emblem would give your army a feeling of greater coherence though.

You decide. Whichever suits you. My Legion has Noise Marines in EC, Berzerkers in WE, and TS in TS colours. Simply because it's refreshing to paint something else than black too. In fluff, they've just tagged along after their own goals or desires.

Other Legions (but mostly the cults) aiding the Black Legion is fine. The Black Legion has their own Berserkers, but it could also be smaller groups of World Eaters. I come from 2nd Edition Chaos, so having a few red or green or blue squads in a blackish chaos force feels natural to me. If it suits you more you can paint them in black legion colors and have red shoulder pads or helmets or something like that.

I hope this isn't derailing the topic at hand, but what about Word Bearers? How well do they mesh under BL leadership (however temporary it may be)? And is it always the BL that lead, or do they sometimes lend marines to projects other legions are heading up?

In general, it's the Legion that leads. And I suppose, that a small warband or contignent (spelling?) of WB's would well mesh temporary with the legion, and aid it in it's goals. But rarely, as WB's are pretty much seen as a unified legion. It's not the Black Legion that lends marines to other legions, it's the other legions that lend marines to Black Legion. :)

Have there been any specific instances of Word Bearers teaming up under someone else's leadership? And has there been any evidence of the Black Legion doing the same?

Well i haven't read it but in the 2nd Word Bearer novel a Black Legion Sorceror is assigned by the Black Legion to the Dark Apostle.

So it can happen.

If a crucial operation is undertaken by the WB that suits the plans of the Warmaster or one of his lieutenants it should be possible to see them reinforced by a contingent of Black Legionnaires.

And vice versa. It seems the Council does want to stay on a good footing with Abby. And like the IW's it looks that occassionally they're more than willing to supply troops/resources to his grand schemes. Men like the great leaders of the WB's tend to have more insight in the plans of Abby than lesser leaders and i think they overall approve of his objectives and realize he's chosen.

So in essence yes, the BL can reinforce the WB's and vice versa.

And it is quite possible that some WB's defected too. Though not too many. WB's are one of the factions i see less inclined to defect.

Would be interesting though. Abaddon is the Chosen of Chaos. A Wordbearer faction that joins the BL and venerates him as a kind of 'antichrist' who serves the grand design of the Chaos Gods as their ultimate tool. :)

Have there been any specific instances of Word Bearers teaming up under someone else's leadership? And has there been any evidence of the Black Legion doing the same?

Well i haven't read it but in the 2nd Word Bearer novel a Black Legion Sorceror is assigned by the Black Legion to the Dark Apostle.

...nooooo.....maybe you should read it.

Archived