CSM squads loadout

soshuro_tenchi

In my army I have 2 rhino-mounted CSM squads that I'm still wondering how to equip them.

Here's the choice:

2 melta, powerfist

2 flamer, power fist

1 melta, 1 flamer, powerfist

Should I make 1 squad with 2 meltas and 1 squad qith 2 flamers or mix them and make 2 identical squads?

I think that 1 melta isn't really safe to kill anything, but if you get 1 squad with 2 meltas and 1 with 2 flamers their positionning become more important.

For your reference the rest of my army (1500 pts) looks like another rhino CSM squads with 2 plasma, 2 possessed vindicator, 3 oblits and a daemon prince.

If I play at 2000pts, I add another rhino csm squad with 2 plasmas.

Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks

In smaller games, I like the Melta/Flamer combo as it makes you flexible and often 1 Meltagun backed up by a Power Fist and some Kraks is enough.

In larger games, you have the points to put out multiple CSM squads with multiple loadouts so you can afford to specialize more.

Dual Meltas/Power Fist a very solid one.

Dual Flamers/Power Fist is kinda odd, its a bit too all purpose for me. Things you should be flaming don't need a Power Fist and vice versa.

Dual Flamers/Power Fist is kinda odd, its a bit too all purpose for me. Things you should be flaming don't need a Power Fist and vice versa.

I guess I'm sometimes stuck in the 4th ed mindset where powerfists were ruling the fields (imo). But I think that my dual-flamers and dula-meltas (or flamer-melta) squads are those pushing forward more aggressively than my dual-plasmas squads, so sometimes these forward squads are stuck in close combat by a dreadnought or something similar, that's the reason I like to put powerfists still in these kind of squads.

Krak grenades ca do the job but aren't as efficient than powerfist and I'm not sure that they are enough.

I'd go for Melta/Melta or Melta/Flamer depending on your opponent, plasmas are best used on Plague Marines.

If you have 1-2 Princes in your army (and you do! :P) you don't really need that many fists.

My 2 Kraks

I guess I'm sometimes stuck in the 4th ed mindset where powerfists were ruling the fields (imo). But I think that my dual-flamers and dula-meltas (or flamer-melta) squads are those pushing forward more aggressively than my dual-plasmas squads, so sometimes these forward squads are stuck in close combat by a dreadnought or something similar, that's the reason I like to put powerfists still in these kind of squads.

Krak grenades ca do the job but aren't as efficient than powerfist and I'm not sure that they are enough.

The Power Fist is still a great buy, don't get me wrong, but at 40 points a pop for the Champion and Fist, its an expensive one so you gotta be smart about it.

Its true that a dual Flamer squad could be caught by a Dreadnought but honestly good deployment, battlefield awareness and support from other units should minimize that chance. Running the dual Flamers side by side with a Dual Meltagun/Power Fist squad will make any armor weery of coming to close, in essence you're using 1 Power Fist to support 2 squads.

I always put champions in my two forward squads since they almost always see close combat, so the choice I was looking at was powerfist or power weapon. But you are right, when you look at it globally the champions cost a lot of points, I did a quick calculation and I could almost add another rhino squad if I would remove all the champions from my squads.

Another thing, Extra armor, do you think they have still their value? 15 points a piece is a lot, but you don't want your rhino to be stuck still for a turn.

In the old time a rhino with extra armour and smoke costed 58 points , now it's 50 for the same rhino, but you could alway use 15 points elsewhere I guess.

Maybe the reason I continue to put extra armour was that a few models I own had spaced armor for FW ( I prefer them over the regular extra armor). But I'm now wondering if I put more extra armour (for those that don't have it yet) or if I remove the ones that are already on rhinos...

Another thing, Extra armor, do you think they have still their value?

Nope, not to me. Its too expensive of an upgrade for a Rhino. I might consider it on a Land Raider if I didn't give it Daemonic Possession.

I always look at it this way, 2 Extra Armor Rhinos is almost the same as 3 naked Rhinos and which of those do you think would perform better on the tabletop?

Archived