Questions about the codex

TMK0377

Forgive me if these questions seem trivial, but the wolves codex is a bit tricky. I see alot of people here put up lists with wolf guard ICs equipped with ACs and CMLs. But when you look in the space wolves armory, they aren't even listed. Explain to me how you can do it? Also, are space wolves ACs heavy 4 and rending?

Forgive me if these questions seem trivial, but the wolves codex is a bit tricky.

At first yes, don't worry, you'll get used to it :)

I see alot of people here put up lists with wolf guard ICs equipped with ACs and CMLs. But when you look in the space wolves armory, they aren't even listed. Explain to me how you can do it? Also, are space wolves ACs heavy 4 and rending?

It's the Wolf Guard Battle Leader that can take Wolf Guard heavy weapons.

It says in his entry that he can take equipment from the Wolf Guard entry in the Codex, hence why he can also take heavy weapons.

It's also stated in the GW FAQ that he can :D

While all this is true the SW codex also states in the WGBG entry that they "may be armed with ONE of the following heavy weapons each..." (emphasis added). As both CML and AC are listed in the same spot and neither is listed in the wargear section, the WGBG and WGBL can only take either/or not both. :lol:

It also states (and I would like this FAQ'd or a definate ruling on this as it is clear cut in the codex but makes no gaming sense in 4th/5th ED) that "Models armed with heavy weapons may not use any other weapons and cannot ride bikes." So as it is in the entry WGBG cannot use anything else...lame. At least the WGBL can though as he is not bound by the WGBG unit rules.

If anyone can let me know about any FAQ about the heavy weapon thing PM me.

Basically it works like this:

Wolf Guard Battle Leader (WGBL) buys Terminator Armor from the Armory at normal price. Then, since the WGBL section of the Codex says he can take equipment from the WG entry in the list, he can take a Wolf Guard heavy weapon.

Codex: Space Wolves, page 8

Models armed with heavy weapons may not use any other weapons (unless equipped with Terminator Armor when they may select addidtional weapons from the Armory) and cannot ride bikes.

Terminator Heavy Weapons (may only be taken by a Wolf Guard in Terminator Armor): Assault Cannon at + Xpts; heavy flamer at +Ypts; cyclone missile launcher at + Zpts (may also purchase a storm bolter as a one-handed weapon).

As such, a WGBL in Terminator armor can have a heavy weapon and another weapon from the Armory. Since the CML tells you that you can instead take a storm bolter as a one-handed weapon, you can use and fire both in the same turn. Whether or not you can have two one-handed weapons when using a CML is still up for debate- for what it's worth I believe you are limited to either a storm bolter/one-handed weapon and the CML, no two weapons for us Wolves.

Now, normal WGBG can take a heavy weapon from the list for every 3 WG, rounding fractions up, so a bare-minimum 4 man WGBG can take up to 2 heavy weapons from that list (CML, AC, HF) in any combination.

-Example: My 4 man WGBG can have a CML on one WG and a AC on another. Or, my WGBG can have 2 CML or 2 AC, ect.

While all this is true the SW codex also states in the WGBG entry that they "may be armed with ONE of the following heavy weapons each..." (emphasis added). As both CML and AC are listed in the same spot and neither is listed in the wargear section, the WGBG and WGBL can only take either/or not both. :P

It also states (and I would like this FAQ'd or a definate ruling on this as it is clear cut in the codex but makes no gaming sense in 4th/5th ED) that "Models armed with heavy weapons may not use any other weapons and cannot ride bikes." So as it is in the entry WGBG cannot use anything else...lame. At least the WGBL can though as he is not bound by the WGBG unit rules.

If anyone can let me know about any FAQ about the heavy weapon thing PM me.

Out of curiosity is english your second language? The sentence reads: "Wolf Gaurd Heavy Weapons: Up to one in three models in the Wolf Gaurd bodygaurd (rounding fractions up) may be armed with one of the following heavy weapons each. "

Thus, for every three WGBGs, or any remainder, you may select a Heavy Weapon. You can only select one per model- thus one... each. It does not imply that they have to be armed identically, merely that they cant take another one.

Archived