Tactics & 1000 point lists

AnarchX

Is it worth it to take a Vindicator in a 1000 point list or are you better off taking Long Fangs with Heavy Bolters and say a Missle Launcher? Or is it better to forgo all of them and just take more Troops woth PW/PF?

How do you guys deal with opposing army's Vehicles and/or Monstrous Creatures in a 1000 point game?

Thanks,

AnarchX

Depends on who you are facing. In general I like having one tank in 1,000 but that is because I like having a VenDred, without him being my only "armor." That can be a Pred (on occasion), maybe LRE, or even a Vindie or two.

If I don't take any of these, and face something like a Hive Tyrant, I try and eliminate his buddies, since there usually shouldn't be much else beside it. Doing so will eliminate a lot of scoring units/mobility/ability. My .02 anyway.

I would say it depends entirely on what you're facing.

If you're facing lots of low T troops (Eldar ahoy) then some dakka a lá Long Fangs with HBs or Land Speeders might be better. Or a whirlwind or 3 ;)

For better T and decent saves the Vindi could be wonderful.

Against enemy vehicles\Montrous creatures I usually have some Las Cannons and/or Autocannons spread out.

Bare bones Predator for only 60 points? I can't justify not filling my Heavy support slot every time.

VenDread with TL-Autocannon? Mmmmm, yeah...

Otherwise, Blood Claws with PFs can take on anything. Well, mine can anyway...

I would say it depends entirely on what you're facing.

If you're facing lots of low T troops (Eldar ahoy) then some dakka a lá Long Fangs with HBs or Land Speeders might be better. Or a whirlwind or 3 <_<

For better T and decent saves the Vindi could be wonderful.

Against enemy vehicles\Montrous creatures I usually have some Las Cannons and/or Autocannons spread out.

Bare bones Predator for only 60 points? I can't justify not filling my Heavy support slot every time.

VenDread with TL-Autocannon? Mmmmm, yeah...

Otherwise, Blood Claws with PFs can take on anything. Well, mine can anyway...

Ohhh, no, not a bare bones pred. TL Las and Las-Sponson, I sometimes put him at the edge and wait for something big to come out.

And yes, of course, BCs with PFs usually do well against almost anything, for general purpose.

Ohhh, no, not a bare bones pred. TL Las and Las-Sponson, I sometimes put him at the edge and wait for something big to come out.

And yes, of course, BCs with PFs usually do well against almost anything, for general purpose.

I ussually dontlike to spend the points on the TL Las and just go with the sponsoons, hitting on 3's. And the autocannon isn't horrible either, just about anything with a 4+ save dies to it on a 2+.

That is a cheaper way to deal with MC's and armor. Also dont overlook the Ven Dread with PC at BS 5...has yet to not make its points and them some.

As agreed upon though, BC's with PF's just munch stuff. Get the charge and something's going to die (if not an enemy model than the dice you were rolling with will die, just make sure you do it in front of your other dice to set an example...)

My only problem with BC's is the low WS. I find that against a Daemon Prince or some of the Greater Daemons you need 5's to hit which is a major bummer. In larger games I use Lascannons, Multi-Meltas, and Assault Cannons to deal with these things, but in 1000 point games it seems every point is precious.

I am trying to write a 1000 point list that will do well in tournament play, so I need to be ready for anything. I play-tested a list this weekend in a couple of games and didn't do as well as I had hoped. I have made some other adjustments and I was wondering whether or not to keep the Vindicator. I am also taking a Ven Dread with an Assault Cannon, DCCW, and Heavy Flamer as it usually does pretty well so long as I stay away from MC's.

Thanks,

AnarchX

For 1k I usually run a vendread, a footslogging HQ, 2 units of Grey Hunters, a Predator, and then a secondairy support unit like a landspeeder or a whirlwind.

And your right.... in 1k every point is precious. That doesnt mean bloodclaws dont have their place however, but I agree that a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 Grey Hunter:Bloodclaw units is usually best. As for the whole hitting on 5's thing.... not such a big deal when you have that many attacks IMHO.

Now as for lascannons, multimeltas, etc.... Ill note those deffinitely have their place at a thousand points. After all youll see landraiders and monoliths at this level. For instance, in the above list my Predator comes with TLLC turret and a pair of heavy bolters. Some people scoff, say that it cant deal with tanks as readily. I find for my money that its better against monstrous creatures and against light tanks such as rhinos, raiders, and trucks. I see alot of those actually... and speeders, and vypers and.... you get the point. The Lascannons TL lets me hit fairly reliably *Twin-linked BS 4 is better than BS 5* and still have a solid chance of punching through tough armor. My secondairy support up their, if not a whirlwind, tends to be a multimelta or two on a landspeeder.

Now a Vindicator has Str 10 so it can deal with high AV's, and its got a pie plate, so it can can deal with units... but Im thrown off by the one shot. But then, thats probly me being a throwback to earlier editions.

I think one heavy slot is good for 1000 point list, that's what I always use along with a Ven. Dread. I would go with the Vindi over the long fangs for mobility and for being less fragile. I have to agree with the usefullness of Wolf Tooth Necklaces but I like to put mine on a WG Leader toting a Thunder Hammer. He gets a little more use out of it than any of the HQ's because of his lower WS and because he can hide in the unit and not be singled out in close combat. But they work great on HQ's too when facing Daemon Princes or an Avatar.

Archived