Death Shaodws

Brother Scythe

Now I know the picture of the Death Shadows in the Codex shows them done up in robes but it got me thinking that perhaps that was the sign for the Veteran or some such.

Anyways I was looking for a cool scheme and liked them and sort of had an interesting theme for them. I was thinking that perhaps they recruit only from Night Worlds and as such most of the population is very pale(giving me very white skin as a contrast). From here I was thinking of a unique way to have the army and got thinking that recruits were created through the use of the normal transformation but accerlerated with hormones and drugs. Thus the army began to take shape and my vision of the chapter was born.

The New Borns.

These unstable marines are the young and reckless marines transformed only recently and used in brunt tacticless assaults. Often formed into large groups they are thrown at the enemy until such a time that they die or are deemed in control and worthy enough to join another caste.

Game Wise; Large squads of 15-20 marines. No marks and a random grouping of weapons and armour.

The Unchasted.

Although not part of the formal make up a Death Shadows strike force the Unchasted are none-the-less a useful tool in the tactics of the strike force leaders. Made up of those who survived and excelled in the New Born phase but never quite made "sane" they still prefer to ruthlessly cut down their foes in CC and are used for such. Although they are not as stealthy as the DS would prefer they do offer very useful and controllable fighting units when needed.

Game Wise; Khorne Berserker Squads

The Methodical.

Once a new born learns control and tactics they are absorbed into a DS strike force squad. These marines form the backbone of the standard force and utilize all forms of combat and stealth open to them. Although not as numerous at times and the new borns they are the most widely used and relied upon caste. This is where most marines in the DS will serve their lives. Although they are normally equipped as a regular marine squad from other chapters would be they can also be formed into heavier weapon squads or even equipped for close range fighting. Those who leave this caste are often considered to have great fortune and be the best of the chapter, from here there are 3 paths a warrior can take.

Game Wise; 10 man CSM squad with Icon of CG and various weapons.(Or Havoks/Raptors)

The Shaodowed.

The epitome of stealth and tactics. Those who join the ranks of the Shadowed are given the trademark robes of darknss and allowed to know the secrets of the chapter and the cause of their damnation. These warriors are the most cunning and brutual of all DS castes and have been known to do everything imaginable to attain their goals. It is said that even a single squad of the Shadowed can cause entire hives to quake with fear and destroy itself in terror.

Game Wise; Chosen

The Callous.

Where the Shadowed are brutual and destructive in secret and behind the public eye the Callous are more open. Killings, burnings and disappearances is broad daylight or in large gatherings are a sign of their presence. Although those around may never actually see a marine doing the deed, the deed is none-the-less done in public. This adds the fear caused by the shadowed to become more prevailent and often helps to speed up the fear of the enemy.

Game Wise; Bike Squads for battle, however for more story driven games Chosen again.

The Potent.

In essence the first company of the chapter. They are often the best trained and may have even served in one of the other two final castes before moving here. Almost always equipped in terminator armour these warriors drop directly into enemy formations in times of war to cause confusion and seed yet more fear into their enemies hearts. Equipped for any duty and able to take the worst beatings these warriors are nothing short of death made real.

Game Wise; Terminators.

Like I said just a rough idea of what I want and it gives me a ton of character and the like to work with model wise and fluffwise. What are your thoughts?

Archived