What do you arm your Defiler with?

MuGGzy

I recently did some trades and ended up with 2 defilers. I am toying with the idea of making one up to be a CC monster and the other totally shooty. Currently I am looking at this setup:

Defiler 1: All Dread CCW no guns but the main canon

Defiler 2: Havoc Launcher replacing Flamer on one side, and either AC or HB, maybe even LC on the other side.

What do you recommend for the secondary weapon on the shooty Defiler? I haven't played in a long time and when I did play I played Orks/SoB so I don't have much exp with AC and only slightly more with HBs and LCs. Since they will be mounted perm. I kinda have to decide, most opponents will be MEQ or occasionally hordes.

I recently did some trades and ended up with 2 defilers. I am toying with the idea of making one up to be a CC monster and the other totally shooty. Currently I am looking at this setup:

Defiler 1: All Dread CCW no guns but the main canon

Defiler 2: Havoc Launcher replacing Flamer on one side, and either AC or HB, maybe even LC on the other side.

What do you recommend for the secondary weapon on the shooty Defiler? I haven't played in a long time and when I did play I played Orks/SoB so I don't have much exp with AC and only slightly more with HBs and LCs. Since they will be mounted perm. I kinda have to decide, most opponents will be MEQ or occasionally hordes.

Its my opinion that you should NEVER spend points to upgrade a Defiler's weapons. The Defiler exists (to me) for 2 main reasons

1) It's BattleCannon

2) It's assault power

You should be firing the Battle Cannon at range and moving towards the target (normally). If you lose your BattleCannon, you should be fleeting towards the enemy to get them in HtH quickly.

This means that any kind of ranged weapon is really a backup to a backup plan where you have been immobilized and lost the BattleCannon. In this scenario, I'd say the Reaper is the better backup weapon because it has a fair greater range than the Heavy Flamer and it is useful against a wide variety of targets (an immobile Defiler can't be picky what it shoots).

I see some people who swear by the TL'd Heavy Flamer as a tool to fire before the charge and in all truth, it would slaughter anything that relies on cover saves to live (Guardsman, Orks etc). The issue is if you fire it, you can't also Fleet which might put you outside charge range. Also if you kill to many units, you might be outside charge range.

This is all a long winded way of saying:

+2 DCCW is best if you don't forsee yourself getting both immobilized and losing your BattleCannon before you're killed

+1 DCCW/Reaper is best if you think you'll get turned into a cannonless turret

+1 DCCW/Flamer is best if you REALLY want to kill a horde army and you'll still be able to assault it

Reaper/Flamer is best if you want to do a little of everything (but is probably the worst choice overall).

I think DCCW/Reaper is the safest pick, as you can always fire the Reaper before charging too. Having said that, +2 DCCW is the best as its unlikely that you'll be made useless (you'll probably get destroyed before that happens)

Defilers are born to slaughter at close quarters. That said, the only true weapon combo for Defiler is Heavy Flamer/DCCW. Look, you don't do anything with AT-fire. Defilers aren't meant to sit & shoot anymore, they're meant to slaughter infantry and screw tanks that come too close to it's claws. Heavy flamer is for scaring the **** out of your target before charging and making mess of them. DCCW provides you that one precious extra attack which helps against tougher opponents. And the cannon is just a psychological weapon, keeps the enemy sitting in cover while you advance. Never have I accomplished anything with the cannon, it just misses or does nothing. That's the most stylish, fluffiest and destructive combo you can get. Lascs, HB's and reapers are just a waste of points. And you really need that hf wherever you go, trust me.

I prefer cheap defilers with no secondary weapons, all close combat. I run 2 or 3 or none.

I like to think of them as leman russes that defend themselves in combat, with that it me and putting them alone in both corners of the table's deployment zone I abuse their long range. In deployment I put one in a corner, then another defiler near it since most of my opponents always have 3 heavy supports - it never fails. The third defiler sits in the far corner after he has a beat on two of my defilers already, the secondly deployed one applies cover for the one behind it, while the one sitting in the other corner and with as much help as possible wipes the heavy support just in range of the lone defiler. Leaving two defilers to perish, but it leaves me with a range advantage, and typicly most of my forces will be near the two defilers with a flurry of sonic weapons fire and backup close combat HQ's.

The reason they sit with close combat weapons is the rare case I run into a close combat heavy army, I will blast and run with myu mobile firepower troops, then swoop in with the defilers at the last possible moment to save them along with my HQ's. Or when their cannon perishes and I just want to run them, since the secondary weapons are too spendy to be of practical use or too weak to make it want to bypass the fleet rule.

Until they get Immobilised...

In which case you wished you had a ranged weapon!

Honestly though MuGGzy, magnetize so you can mix & match and experiment all you want. Clearly we've all had good experiences with all CCW arms and all ranged arms (me). If you magnetize you can pick your poison whenever you want, and it shouldn't cost you more than a couple bucks to get said magnets, especially from this site.

I always take at least the Reaper. Mostly of the time I take the heavy flamer too, just in case and I am seeing orks more and more on the tourney scene.

A lot of people are seeing defiler as close combat monsters: I ask you why? He almost always hits on 4+ so only kills about 2 marines after the charge with 2 ccw's. A dreadnought beats him because of the higher WS and I, MC's beat him too. Nob with powerclaw get on average 1 penatrating hit too. Dont get me wrong, it is a nice assault unit at times, but definately not a great cc unit. Best use is against tanks and hq which can be instakilled if you ask me and if he does that, great! I love my defiler, but thats mostly cause of the battlecanon.

Archived