FAQ: Painting Gold

got this from a white dwarf it gives a real natural gold

basecoat: 1:1 scorched brown:shining gold mix

1st highlight: pure shining gold

2ed highlight: 1:1 shining gold: mithril silver

shade: 1:1 chaos black:scorched brow blackline with this mix

final highlight: pure mithril silver

glaze: if you like you can glaze the gold with green purple or brown to get a slightly diverent effect

I dont know if its of use but may be an interesting fact.

Pure Gold is quite rare i think its often mixed with other metals. The most common alloys are gold + silver and gold + copper.

An gold + silver alloy has an green hue to it while gold +copper alloys have a red hue.

Maybe mainly usefull for fluff + background.

cya

Heres how I do gold.

Bestial Brown basecoat.

Pure Shining Gold.

Very lightly wash with Delvan mud in the recesses. Of course this is because Delvan mud is the only wash I have, I'm sure others would be much better for this.

Highlight with Burnished gold.

There's sooooo many shades of gold, it would depend on what kind of finish you're looking for.

I've got a bunch of shiny gold marines finished at the moment. I mixed up may own shade of gold using a full pot of Mithril Silver, adding Flesh Wash and Yellow Ink before mixing it through.

To get the finish, all I did was paint the whole mini in my gold mix, apply a heavy layer of Flesh Wash with a basecoat brush and recoat the armour plates with the gold colour when the ink had dried.

Once I've got the army base coats finished, I'm going to mix more mithril silver into the gold and hard-edge highlight the minis.

Here's some piccies for you to see the minis at the base coated, washed and re-coated stage. No highlights have been applied to these yet.

gallery_26205_3276_943745.jpg

gallery_26205_3276_1221353.jpg

gallery_26205_3276_1307405.jpg

Wow! Nicely done on those gold Marines!

What were the percentages of that gold color you mixed up?

Cheers.

I managed to get acrylic artists ink from a local art shop which has a pipette dropper thingy inside the cap. They're from a company called Daler-Rowley and come in the top of their 29.5 ml ink bottles.

Here's a link to the web-site http://www.daler-rowney.com/content/fw-artists-inks

I cleaned out the dropper using water, then used 3 fills of GW Flesh Wash and 3 fills of the Daler-Rowley FW acrylic ink. I think the colour was called Process Yellow 675. I added these to a full bottle of GW Mithril Silver (a little messy because it gets almost too full).

Stir the mix with the end of a brush (the bit without bristles) and then give the bottle a shake to ensure it's mixed through and thats it ready to go.

It's not difficult to mix nice metallics. I tend to start with Mithril Silver and just add the ink colours I want straight to the pot. By using the dropper it's pretty easy to mix colours consistently if you need more later on. I'm planning a battle company using the gold and I've had to mix another batch up already but it's an exact match.

Well worth buying a pot of ink for a dropper, although I'm sure you'd be able to get them elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

My way of painting gold is different to those described above. although it does take quite a while to do.

1. Paint the area with Brazen brass to an even coat.

2. Do the same with shining gold.

3. Dry brush burnished gold.

3. Wash whole area with Devlan Mud wash.

4. Drybrush lightly with burnished gold.

5. Drybrush even more lightly with chainmail mixed with burnished gold. (dont use mythril silver)

6. Finally lightly wash some recesses with Thrakka green wash to give it a reflective effect. Leviathan purple and asurman blue also work.

Ill try and get some pictures up of my captain and you can see how mine looks.

well, im not the worlds best painter but this is what i seem to find works best:

1; undercoat in black

2; drybrush on shining gold

3: apply devlan mud ink

4: trim edges with a 2:1 mix of shining gold to mithril silver

comes up a nice dark gold colour with a light gold metallic trim, suits my darker ultrasmurfs well

i use a basecoat of 2:1 shining gold-scorched brown, then a shade of devlan mud, repaint the area with the base mix leaving the shading in the recesses and then start adding mithril silver to the mix... before the final highlgiht i give it a thin wash of purple ink (i still have the ink, dont know how the new washes will look) and there you are... looks something like this...

+edit+ gives it an antique feel rather than shiny new gold, so depends what your after...

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/stinkenheim/DSC00451.jpg

Andy

black undercoat

Mithril silver wetbrush

yellow ink wash

shining gold dry brush

50/50 gold and mithril drybrush

mithril highlight

50/50 delvan mud, and yellow ink wash

It works quite well, especially on all gold armor :)

most common colours to glaze gold with are purple for the antique look and green because it brings out the gold colour (apparantly, never tried it myself) although red can also look nice on the right model as it makes a semi decent copperish tone to it

most common colours to glaze gold with are purple for the antique look and green because it brings out the gold colour (apparantly, never tried it myself) although red can also look nice on the right model as it makes a semi decent copperish tone to it

Purely for shading, purple can also be nice on more yellow-pigmented gold paints, because of yellow and purple being complementary colors. Depending on the shade of purple and hue, it can also be used to create a regal/royal feel on the miniature.

All sorts of cool stuff you can do with metallics.

Archived