Fluff Discrepency

Vash113

Ok so I finally located some of the anthology books I own including Let the Galaxy Burn and Bringers of Death. Each has a SW Short Story that I was looking to add to the Space Wolves: A Comprehensive History. The Short Story in Bringers of Death was simple enough, but the Short Story In the Belly of the Beast in Let the Galaxy Burn, is... not so straight forward and I'm unsure how to proceed.

So the problem is the Short Story involves a Space Wolf Pack led by a Sergeant Hakon, and including several familiar characters including Sven. Now the problem here is Hakon gets killed as well as the other members of the pack save for Sven. Now I suppose I could ignore the other characters and just say the event saw our familiar Sven as the only survivor of a boarding party that boarded a Tyranid Ship and leave it at that. Or... maybe that's pushing it. I couldn't exactly tell which Hive Fleet the Ship was either or whether the story fits with the current canon what so ever.

Is anyone else more familiar with this Story or has an opinion on whether I should include it in the SW Comp. History or not?

It was Willian king that wrote that short story and it is from that that he made the ragnar series I believe so its abit iffy to be sure but the story could also be from a millenia ago with diffrent people that ust happened to have the same name. The story itself is still brilliant and shouldn't be cast aside.

So the problem is the Short Story involves a Space Wolf Pack led by a Sergeant Hakon, and including several familiar characters including Sven. Now the problem here is Hakon gets killed as well as the other members of the pack save for Sven. Now I suppose I could ignore the other characters and just say the event saw our familiar Sven as the only survivor of a boarding party that boarded a Tyranid Ship and leave it at that. Or... maybe that's pushing it. I couldn't exactly tell which Hive Fleet the Ship was either or whether the story fits with the current canon what so ever.

The question should be, how many Space Wolves have (or have had) the name Sven since the tyranids appeared? If I remember correctly, his last name is never revealed.

It was Willian king that wrote that short story and it is from that that he made the ragnar series I believe so its abit iffy to be sure but the story could also be from a millenia ago with diffrent people that ust happened to have the same name. The story itself is still brilliant and shouldn't be cast aside.

As the first hive fleet (Behemoth) did not arrive until 745.M41 (5th Ed Rulebook, p.126) it would have been in the last 2-3 centuries. Not as much as a millenium but still plenty of time for more than one Sven to be commanded/instructed by a Sgt Hakon.

Plus GW admits the fluff is contradictory at times. They say this is due to information being distorted (intentionally or not), lost, misinterpreted, reinterpreted, fragmentary, differing interpretations of events, etc by the Imperium or whoever is keeping track of things (I blame gremlins). So don't get you knickers in a bind over a contradiction. If you are making a comprehensive history, simply label the source as unreliable since no supporting information is available (e.g. date of engagement, etc).

Unless the Inquisition says otherwise. Then tell them you don't care and get lost (you are, after all, a Space Wolf).

Plus GW admits the fluff is contradictory at times. They say this is due to information being distorted (intentionally or not), lost, misinterpreted, reinterpreted, fragmentary, differing interpretations of events, etc by the Imperium or whoever is keeping track of things (I blame gremlins). So don't get you knickers in a bind over a contradiction. If you are making a comprehensive history, simply label the source as unreliable since no supporting information is available (e.g. date of engagement, etc).

Being a story from the BL it is by nature unreliable to an extent, and I'm not "making" anything, it's already made, read the OP I have a link to the article there.

I just want opinions on what to do with this story and how to work it in, if I should bother at all.

Being a story from the BL it is by nature unreliable to an extent, and I'm not "making" anything, it's already made, read the OP I have a link to the article there.

I just want opinions on what to do with this story and how to work it in, if I should bother at all.

Sorry. Blind as a bat some days (or at least selectively).

Since it is a relatively minor event, I would leave it out particularly since the source is unreliable and we have no date.

By relatively minor, I mean that this is not the only time a space marine unit has boarded a tyranid vessel nor did anything particularly noteworthy happen (other than the Wolves getting their butts handed to them). I would be inclined to include it IF something significant happened, like, oh, how to destroy the tyranid race in 3 easy steps.

As it is, they likely would have cut their losses, and recorded the direction of its travel IF they did not destroy it after evacuating (I can't remember if they did at the end of the story).

Another possibility is under the Famous Battles section, include an item labelled Tyranid Hive Fleets and make mention of the incident. You could use something along the lines of the following (you may shamelessly steal/edit/incorporate it as you see fit):

"Sometime around [whenever], the [vessel name] captained by[captain's name] encountered what appeared to be a dormant hive fleet/ship. At his request, the Blood Claws unit abroad his ship, led by Sgt Hakon, boarded (one of) the tyranid vessel9s0 via boarding torpedo. During their scouting mission all but one Blood Claw, Sven, were lost. After his return, [ship's captain] destroyed the hive ship/fleet."

Sorry I cannot be more specific than that. I do not have the book in front me and I have enough books (HH series) on my desk right now cluttering it up (and I just swept it clean too).

My 0.02 'Perials. Then, of course, what do I know? My chapter is a nasty, deceitful and honourless Dark Angels successor. Mwahahahaha!!!!

I would say that it's a bunch of wolves with similar names, but not the same wolves as in the Ragnar books.

Some of their names are quite common in Scandinavia, so it's not a big deal for me to imagine that there are going to be some wolves with the same names...

Archived