Hey! Another Batrep each Friday

Seahawk

I played my 7th game with daemons so far...lucky #7...against my BT buddy. It's for the LGS's spring league (I won last year's with my Ultramarines), so I decided to toss in with daemons for funsies. He hadn't played daemons before, as I'm the only one in our club, so I guess it was kind of unfair, but whatever, here were the 1500pt forces:

KoS - might, musk, transfixing gaze

Skulltaker

6 Flamers - 1 zappy

10 Bloodletters - 1 rendy

10 Horrors - 1 zappy, changeling

10 Daemonettes - full command

10 Plaguebearers - banner, musician

10 Flesh Hounds - 1 rendy

vs

Grimaldus & crew

Emperor's Chump

"Crusader Squad" - 15 (10I/5N) power fist, all bundled into a LRC with EC

"Crusader Squad" - 11 (10I/1N) power fist, all bundled into a LRC with Grim

5 Initiates - missile launcher

Dreadnought - assault cannon

Vow to reroll missed hits.

3 objectives in a roughly triangular formation nearly in the middle of the table.

Dawn of War deployment.

He got first turn and kept it :cuss. The 5 initiates had deployed on top of a building (3rd story) that was directly above an objective, while everything else rolled on in the 1st turn.

Turn 1

BT: Nothing. One LRC on each flank, dreadnought up the middle.

Daemons: I got my pick and down came the plaguebearers in the mid-right of the field, horrors mid-left, daemonettes mid-behind them, and KoS in their faces (at the bottom of the building the 5 initiates were in). The horrors shoot the 5 dudes, kill two, and they flee two floors down. Everything else ran around, spreading the plaguebearers to cover more and keeping the daemonettes behind them.

Turn 2

BT: LRC's and dreadnought advance, 3 initiates flee to the bottom floor (next to my KoS). One LRC and the dread fire on the horrors, killing four. The other LRC fires at the plaguebearers, killing two (without using the multimelta...*sigh*). Fleeing unit sees nothing as it's a chunky building.

Daemons: No reserves arrive. Oh well. The KoS flits around the building to face off with the dreadnought, while the daemonettes get to an inch away from the fleeing squad. The other two units kind of shuffle backwards, as they don't do land raiders. To prove the point, the horrors' bolt missed and the PB (peanut butter?) "ran" a little farther back. The KoS and daemonettes charge, with the KoS stunning, knocking off all weapons, and immobilizing the dreadnought that doesn't even get to attack back. The daemonettes annihilate the fleeing squad with seven rends (again, the 7 turns up...). They consolidate up one floor.

Turn 3

BT: Moving away from the KoS and towards my horrors/PB, the LRCs fire again, killing four more horrors and four more plaguebearers (including my banner, grr). Can't make FnP saves worth a darn I guess. In combat, the KoS cuts off the dreadnought's legs. Next!

Daemons: Everything else arrives! The flamers and bloodletters arrive using the daemonettes banner, with the flamers on my right, next to a LRC, and the bloodletters on my left, relatively near the other one. The khorne dogs scatter...onto the bloodletters...and die...oh well... The KoS bounds over obstacles to get at that one. The horrors and plaguebearers shuffle around again...egh. The daemonettes drop from the building and cover two of the three exits from the land raider on the right.

Shooting was eventful, with the horrors missing again. The flamers earned their keep, shaking it with breaths and then wrecking it with a glancing 6! I loves me AP 1. Turns out the Chump was in that one. Some make it out the doors, the rest get to emergency disembark. The daemonettes charge them while the KoS charges the other LRC. In combat, the daemonettes only killed four (including my transfixer, who dinked the EC in combat) and lost five, forcing another save which was promptly failed. Meh. The KoS then proceeds to kick the tank for a pathetic four on two dice, but scoring nines on the others. Rolled up an explosion and out pops ol' Grimmy and friends, minus a neophyte and cenobyte. Hi there!

Turn 4

BT: Grimaldus and squad fired at the KoS, doing nothing, then charged. The KoS killed five and lost a wound. All saves are passed, and the KoS musks away. The other squad predictably mops up the daemonettes. Good!

Daemons: The flamers hop towards the EC squad, setting up some nice enfilading. Skulltaker and his bloody friends surround Grim(dark) and his friends, while the KoS looks menacingly on. The horrors and plaguebearers get over to objectives because they could. Ah, shooting at it's finest. Of course, he didn't know the threat posed by the flamers, but there wasn't much he could do. 51 hits and 32 wounds later, those ten marines go poof. On the left side of the field, the KoS and bloodletters charge Grimaldus's gang. The KoS kills three, Skulltaker lops off Grimaldus's head-BUT WAIT! Grimmy's still flailing about like a chicken with...well, you know (he passed his special save, didn't check if he gets it against ID; reading for next time). He kills Skulltaker in return! Ah, vengeance. And then proceeds to die from 30 charging bloodletter attacks. And that's game, as he has no models left.

I don't think this game could've gone any better for me, really. Except for my flesh hounds not scattering onto my own guys and dying. My models and dice worked appropriately and thus I'm happy. Any thoughts/suggestions for my friend and me?

Reason for edit: Title

All those sevens? It appears Nurgle was smiling on you Seahawk. Bummer about the hounds, would have liked to have seen how well they'd have done against BT, oh well, maybe next time. Have you considered splitting your flamers in to two units of three? Just as much firepower, but you can split your fire, though it is an extra kill point.

Ha, you'd think Nurgle was smiling on me, but I regularly failed most of the saves they needed. I passed only two of ten invuls, and one FnP of eight.

I considered splitting them, yes. Maybe next game.

Shooting was eventful, with the horrors missing again. The flamers earned their keep, shaking it with breaths and then wrecking it with a glancing 6! I loves me AP 1.

This was a nice shot, but I'd say it was fairly lucky :HQ:

Which is good because the Crusader seems like it was tailor-made to rip up Daemons

Wow nice! It does seem that everything really went your way that game (I dont' mean that in a bad way)... combined with good tactics, that was a real solid battle there. Inspirational, even. :HQ:

A bit lucky, KO'ing a Crusader with flamers, but it's certainly possible. They're out-and-out nasty.

I would've expected him to turtle a bit, with that list. Crusaders and dreadnoughts are quite possibly some of the worst things we can face, as we've very little that sort them. Our stuff that can, though, like the Keeper, will just maim dreadnoughts ten ways to sunday. (...as yours did, actually...). Crusaders are just...arrgh, for us. However, a Greater Daemon in there was your only answer to it, and if he'd managed to KO that, you would've been in serious trouble.

What his list lacked (a bit surprising; did he know he was playing against Daemons?) was long-range shooting, and anti-tank. Assault cannons aren't bad against middleweight armor, but a lone missile launcher and a couple powerfists aren't too anti-armor. He was set up great to take out infantry, but that's about it.

Too bad going hand-to-hand with daemons is a bad idea, and hand-to-hand is what Black Templars do.

I'd be tempted to suggest to him at least once to keep all his stuff in reserve. With two transports and a dread, he gets the army in chunks, and he robs you of your largest advantage: playing reactive with your deployment.

Then again, it was his first time against daemons, and another big portion of our lethality and effectiveiness is that we're so outlandish compared to a lot of other armies in terms of our deployment. Also, multiple land-raider armies are often win big or die trying, as losing the land raiders means you're pretty well screwed. Plus, if anyone can take out the crusader before it gets too far...ow. Then again, that's the Land Raider for you.

On your army...

A bit surprised you spent points on Transfixing Gaze for the daemonettes. I don't see it doing a whole lot for them unless you're teaming up multiple Gazes against a single large target. Gaze on the Keeper...I can kind of see, but most of the time it will just out-and-out maim everything in its path.

As for anti-tank, not bad with the KoS and a couple bolts, though it's our codex that makes you

have to go hand-to-hand for it. If he'd managed to KO the keeper, though, he could basically drive away from you and shoot you to death for a while, then come in and go for the objectives.

Overall, I think your force is pretty balanced for Daemons. It's a bit swiss-army-knife, and might could use some more anti-tank...but not bad. The biggest change I'd suggest is a second Monstrous Creature, since you're breaking the 'bring multiples or none' for large targets.

For his army...I'd think about dropping the dread for another initiate squad with a long-range weapon. Preferably lascannons on both, just to give the enemy something to worry about. I'd also think about cheaper HQ characters, but beyodn that it's what you can get for LRC-mounted Black Templar at 1500.

Thanks for the ideas. Really that's all he has at the moment, though he has a squad of terminators with a-cans and I think a las-dread. He wasn't sure how it'd work out against me. As for my army, that's almost all I have, though I can add Skarbrand, a couple fiends, various heralds, and 10 furies. Wrecking and exploding both land raiders in the same turn was devastating for him, and gleefully fun for me.

I think what I do is simply take units out of my excel sheet simply as they are. I entered those when I got the codex, as I already had most of the models (grumble grumble) so I simply did that. I don't vary my units too much, especially since I'm still getting the hang of free-range daemons. Thus with the gaze on the daemonettes...not too useful, but points filler I guess. It actually worked though! I used it on the EC and he caused no wounds in the first round of combat, heh!

I still haven't figured out what it means for an army to be swiss-army-knife...care to esplain? That I have lots of different things instead of spam-a-lot? Or that I can take care of all different things? Or that it cuts deep with a fine blade...

As it was only 1500 points I was going more for bodies than MC's, and I just painted the Keeper, wanting to use it. 300 points will rob me of my flesh hounds and some of my Troops, and I suppose I'd rather have the extra 24 attacks I guess...though they had died anyway...I dunno...when games go up in points I'll definitely add Skarbrand first.

By swiss-army I mean you've got variety in type, and some versatility in dealing with them. IE: you've got some flamers and Horrors for shooty death; you've got Flesh Hounds and Plaguebearers for tarpits.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, and it's got a very chaos-undivided theme to it.

Regarding the Gaze, I think more often than not it'll still be a low-value thing. I mean, the enemy got one less S6 power weapon swing at your invulnerable-save baddies. Would it have made a real difference in combat?

I think at 1500, a pair of Keepers isn't too bad; that still elaves you a bit over 1,000 to sink into troops. With just the 4+ save, I'm tempted to say the Keeper's a good second-wave drop, since s/he is the least-durable Greater Daemon, and if they can force wounds on it, it'll fail half of them. Much better to drop in and slam the enemy in CC without getting shot at, if you can.

As for adding Skarbrand...

I wouldn't necessairly shoe-horn him in with your build without some thought. Skarbrand's an absolute wrecking ball in CC (...7 WS10, S9 attacks on the charge with re-rolls to hit? Yes please!). However, giving your enemy re-rolls in CC can hurt us, based on our low saves and average toughness. The solution is to kill the enemy before he swings at you, or be durable. This means focusing on Slaaneshi units (I opt for fiends for their ability to deal with vehicles more readily and the volume of attacks) and then you probably want to get Nurgle units as tarpits/scoring troops.

Furies are also a tarpit unit. I'd consider furies almost in lieu of hounds, since you can spread out and they can make it over terrain. I wouldn't necessarily expect them to KILL things, but hey, it's something. They're there to tie up the enemy, not kill them.

For his army...

Starting out does that, I s'pose.

I think for BT, the big squads inside the LRC are liekly nastier than the small termie squads, though termie squads w/ tank-hunter and assault cannons are some kind of nasty.

Maybe if it was a las-dread that sat at home and served as anti-tank sniper/home defense, it could work.

Round #2

...was terrible. :lol:

I should've known the moment everything scattered badly in the beginning that I was done for. I fought Orks, and the plaguebearers went directly in front of the kans, flamers in charge range of a mob of boyz, the daemonettes back into my rear-zone...you know you need to toss the game when 6 bloodletters + skulltaker charge a unit of 6 boyz, kill one, and lose all of the bloodletters in return. OMG terrible game...I'll bring it back next week when I fight Dark Eldar...stoopit dice <_<

...and that's the downside of the daemons. REally REALLY painful when it happens. :mellow::

When the dice hate you? Their wrath is especially spiteful. Not much you the player can do about it execept try to laugh it off.

Hopefully round three looks up for you.

Well, the Dark Eldar player couldn't make it, so I attacked Imperial Guard instead. I'll write up a full report in a couple hours (once I get out of classes), but suffice to say for now, I went all rip rend and tear for a mighty 15 kill points to 3!

And here're the lists! I was lazy and just used my list from Week 1.

KoS - might, musk, transfixing gaze

Skulltaker

6 Flamers - 1 zappy

10 Bloodletters - 1 rendy

10 Horrors - 1 zappy, changeling

10 Daemonettes - full command

10 Flesh Hounds - 1 rendy

vs

Command Squad - plasma gun, flag

2 Platoons - meltas all around, 1 command and 2 squads each

10 Stormtroopers - plasma guns

2 Sentinels

Hellhound

2 Russ's - hull heavy bolter

Demolisher - hull heavy bolter

I gave him the first turn on a Dawn of War, Kill Point scenario. Teehee.

Turn 1

Imperial Guard: He moved on the table.

Daemons: Didn't get what I wanted, so the bloodletters, flamers, and flesh hounds came out. Flamers shot a squad for four kills. Meh.

Turn 2

Imperial Guard: Slight movements, then OPEN FIRE!!! All told, 3 hounds and 4 bloodletters died, due to cover for the hounds and poor LOS to the bloodletters. Flamers were hidden from view (except from the squad they shot last turn). Quality positioning was the key here; that and nice blocking terrain.

Daemons: Here come the horrors...and nobody else. *sigh* They wipe out a guard squad. The flamers hop over their building, landing in a nice little spot. There was a thin line of guardsmen spread "vertically," a hellhound, and a russ, all within range of a breath of chaos. So I fired three of those, hitting 3 guardsmen, 3 hits on the hellhound (the original target), and 3 on the russ that got caught in the way. 2 guardsmen died, the hellhound was shaken, and the russ was shaken and immobilized (no cover save; template attack! lolz). Then of course the bolt blew the hellhound to smithereens, killing 4 more guardsmen in the explosion. Not bad for a single unit shooting. The hounds hoofed it out of the forest for 6", fleet for 4", then lope another 11" to assault the guard squad that got shot last turn by the flamers, while the bloodletters slam into another squad. They're both wiped out.

Turn 3

Imperial Guard: More shooting! The hounds lose another 3, the bloodletters lose 2, the flamers lose 3, and the changling messes with the second russ, making it shoot at a guardsquad nearby! Unfortunately it scattered, not wounding the one guardsman it hit, and I saved on my own wound that it caused. Eh, could've been worse for me. The demolisher then scattered off the horrors for 7", but the other guns in the vicinity accounted for 3 anyways. The sentinels actually charged the bloodletters, with me getting no rending and him killing two, causing me to lose two more in the after effects.

Daemons: The Keeper decides to show up, landing where the flamers originally did, nice and safe. The horrors move towards the demolisher. The flamers jump over some squads to land behind the stricken russ and the flesh hounds prepare to assault the HQ in the forest. In the shooting phase, the horrors kill off a platoon HQ, while the Keeper runs out in the open because I could I guess. The flamers were fun again, targeting the russ but firing two breaths again. Total guard casualties: 8 dead from the squad (which flees off the table) in the way and destruction of all weapons on the russ. Poor immobile thing with no guns ^_^ . The sentinel-bloodletter combat ends in a tie, while the flesh hounds rip up the poor little HQ command.

Turn 4

Imperial Guard: A multitude of fire directed at the horrors produces only a couple kills, while a guard squad shoots at it's platoon's officer, while the officer shoots back at them! Oh it was hilarious to see the glamour working so well. Unfortunately, nobody died again, but it kept ME from being shot. The stormtroopers open up on the flesh hounds, killing them off. Oh wells. In combat, nothing happened again between the sentinels and bloodletters. The flamers died to enough failed saves in close combat with the other platoon command. *sigh*

Daemons: Well the rest of the army finally decides to show up, with the plaguebearers hangin' out with the horrors and the daemonettes "coming to the aid" of the bloodletters. Shooting was minimal, with the horrors bouncing a bolt off the demolisher. The Keeper decided to go the easy route and carved up the immobile, weaponless russ. Heh. The bloodletters finally ripped off an autocannon, and that was about it.

Turn 5

Imperial Guard: More shooting and scattering, with not a whole of of actual shooting happening. The most effective were the stormtroopers blowing away half of the daemonettes unit (they were probably MVP for him). In combat...a tie.

Daemons: Another bolt bounced, then back into combat! The daemonettes wiped the stormtroopers out, the Keeper killed off that pesky Lt. that killed the flamers, and the plaguebearers took no wounds and forced the squad to flee! Unfortunately the bloodletter finally died against the sentinels. Meh. And that's where the random game ended.

KP: 3-15

The 'letters showcase a problem we have vs. armor. Even on AV10, they got a case of the beats.

Hell of a good shot from the Flamers, managing to keep the 'hound from firing for a turn, and screwing up the Russ like that.

I'm glad someone's having luck with non-suicide flamers, as they ARE nasty when they get more than a shot off. Surprised that thye did that kind of damage to vehicles, though.

As a note, though, once it's immoble and all its weapons are destroyed, isn't it wrecked? Or do yo uhave to go finish it off?

@Raptor: You do have to get the last result to completely destroy it. A vehicle can sit with absolutely nothing and still be worth nothing (well, to nobody).

The flamers were amazing! In two turns they effectively destroyed 2 full IG squads, the hellhound, and the russ. Then they got trounced in cc to a junior officer, lolz.

@OMG: I keep trying to take pictures, and even bring it to games, but always forget to take the pictures! Ach! I'll try to remember next time though.

@djkest: Heh, I did throw one game already, against the orks. On the plus side, I'm in like 6th place out of 14 people or so, so it's not like I'm top dog. The two ork players are. I HATE ORKS!

Thanks all! Next update is on 2/20.

@djkest: Heh, I did throw one game already, against the orks. On the plus side, I'm in like 6th place out of 14 people or so, so it's not like I'm top dog. The two ork players are. I HATE ORKS!

Thanks all! Next update is on 2/20.

Seems like ork armies are especially popular. The 6 point orc boy is perhaps the very best value in warhammer right now, I mean, 4 attacks on the charge, str 4, for 6 points? I had a real problem with orcs, but luckily don't fight them very much.

ROUND 4

I fought me some Imperial Guard again, but this time it was a more competent player. If some things seem vague, it's because I played three games with the daemons last night (winning one of them) and I haven't yet looked over the pictures to help job my memory. I'll edit and insert pictures after that though.

The Armies

The Blue Scribes

Nurgle Herald - decay, strength

6 Flamers - 1 bolt

10 Horrors - 1 bolt, changling

10 Bloodletters

10 Daemonettes - banner, musician

10 Flesh Hounds - render, karanak

10 Furies

vs

Command HQ - 4 meltaguns

3 Platoon HQ's - 8 plasma guns, 4 meltaguns

15 Guardsmen squads - grenade launchers and flamers

2 Demo squads

Basilisk

Doctrines:

Close Order Drill, Drop Troops

The Mission

Seize Ground, 6 objectives (special mission)

Pitched Battle

In short, ouch. 68 daemons simply cannot take on 182 guardsmen and a tank. 20 scoring units just don't go away...

He said he'll take first turn and deployment twice, then was a hm-hm git and said he didn't want to, after choosing his side and all that. I tried to force it as TS but I didn't think of the whole side thing. Oh well.

Turn 1

Daemons: You'll see the pictures to be posted in the next couple days, but I got what I wanted and the plaguebearers, daemonettes, furies, and horrors appeared. I lost 5 horrors to due a bad DS...terrible way to start. I killed most of a squad with their shooting and turned one into a spawn with the blue dude! Otherwise, everything took up defensive positions and I cringed for the next turn.

IG: His one platoon on the table (still 55 freakin' dudes) and the basilisk opened up, causing a wound on the spawn, killing two horrors I think, three furies, and no daemonettes. One plaguebearer died to the basilisk, even in cover. One unit failed it's Glamour and shot up another squad, killing half. Yay!

Turn 2

Daemons: The flesh hounds arrive I think, landing below the plaguebearers. The horrors move a little, with the blue scribe shooting up two units with breath. The furies charge a unit in the open, the daemonettes assault a command squad in the forest, the spawn slams into a squad, and the horrors charge the basilisk (after I remembered that not even the scribes have S4, sigh). The furies and daemonettes wipe their squads, but the spawn gets killed before attacking. Stupid Close Order Drill...

IG: A platoon arrives, along with both demo squads. 61 more guardsmen pour and plop onto the table. In the subsquent shooting phase, I lose another horror, take a wound on the scribes, have my furies and daemonettes reduced to 2 and 1 models, respectively, and two dogs get sent back to the hell whence they came. Another plaguebearer or two get whacked by the basilisk.

Turn 3

Daemons: The flamers arrive, using the plaguebearers icon again to land next to a guard squad. The bloodletters decide to make an appearance too, landing in front of the guard lines (stupid scatter...lol). The flesh hounds lope out to confront a demo squad and guard squad in a forest, while the furies and daemonettes head back towards the table center to deny targets to those squads and engage command units. The horrors make a nuisance of themselves...kinda not really. The flamers wipe out its target. The two furies assault a platoon HQ and the daemonette assaults the army HQ, while the dogs assault their two units. He was very insistent that I can only assault one unit at a time, at which point I slapped him silly with the rulebook. The furies died before attacking (starting to get quite PO'd with Close Order Drill...lol) and the daemonette, though hitting all attacks, wiffed every wound. And died. The flesh hounds killed more than they lost at least, forcing the demo squad to flee.

IG: The other platoon arrives (+55 models to the table!), but one squad gets delayed by landing on what's left of the horrors. Some more shooting, and the bloodletters are reduced to just two models, while the plaguebearers lose two more and maybe a horror dies. In assault, I win with karanak's musician but he holds.

Turn 4

Daemons: Not a whole lot left to do now. Not a whole lot was achieved. The bloodletters killed four guardsmen in combat and still died. The horrors shot ineffectively at a squad (same with the scribe). The only point of happiness was the flamers bouncing over the building and nuking the HQ command squad to a puddle. The dogs finally win and chase down the squad, consolidating back into cover. The plaguebearers assault and wipe a squad at the bottom of their tower.

IG: Lots of model pushing happening at this stage. The last squad finally arrives safely. One has the daring to ascend the plaguetower (the tall building the plaguebearers [now reduced to four models in this turn] were holding). The blue scribe tires of the battle and leaves and the horrors and flamers decide to go with it. Karanak is the only flesh hound still standing (current model count was me with 5, him with 100+).

Turn 5

Daemons: Not much...the Karanak charges a squad and dies (killing one in the process thankfully). The plaguebearers defeat the guardsmen coming up their tower and force them to flee. They consolidate up.

IG: More model pushing...two plaguebearers die to not having enough hidey-holes in the building.

Turn 6

Daemons: The plaguebearers move to the roof and fart on the objective.

IG: They capture the other five objectives.

Bam! I got squashed. What I had simply could not dish out the pain. Some thoughts...the flesh hounds are starting to let me down. Yes I always charge them into cover, but even against guardsmen they are dying too fast. I think I'll swap for a soul grinder (when I get the model of course). Everyone I'm playing in the league though is asking, before we start a game, "how many soul grinders do you have?" and I always answer none.

The plaguebearers and heralds, though typically living to the end, don't do enough either. I want to drop them for bigger, more survivable units of horrors, bloodletters, and daemonettes, but I don't have the models. Garg!

Thats just a pain in the ass army to fight.

I'm not sure of many armies that could kill that many guys in 5-7 turns.

The sad thing is, its only going to get worse with the new IG codex coming out, I've heard rumors of 4 point Guardsmen.

The Armies

The Blue Scribes

Nurgle Herald - decay, strength

6 Flamers - 1 bolt

10 Horrors - 1 bolt, changling

10 Bloodletters

10 Daemonettes - banner, musician

10 Flesh Hounds - render, karanak

10 Furies

I like your week 1 list better. Blue scribes are good but kind of easy to kill, especially when they become #1 target priority.

Nurgle herald is a lot of times a waste of points, and furies seem to not really be worth it.

In this list, there just isn't ANYTHING that is "big and scary", and to me, that is what demons are all about. No offense, that's just my impression, for what it's worth.

I really enjoy your battreps though.

I'm not sure how you managed to lose 5 Horrors to a bad scatter. You either place all of them or the squad has to roll for a 'mishap'.

Against Guard I was surprised you didn't use the scribe's Boon of Mutation to give your opponent additional problems. With their low toughness there's a 50-50 chance of turning one of them into Spawn :)

Like you said, soul grinders would have been very helpful, as only the melta guns and the bassie have a chance to really hurt it, and of course if there are 3 grinders then if you can take out his 2 melta units and 1 bassie then the grinders become unstoppable. They are like $50 each though, which is a big reason my daemon army contains zero of them--the daemons being a side project of mine to say the least--plus as you noticed 'grinders are the gamey choice for daemons and people kind of expect 2-3.

Anyway, ya I feel your pain about not having enough oomph in your list. Nurglings would have been awesome for you, as the only daemon unit that out-wounds the guard point for point. Fiends of slanesh in place of the hounds also might have done better thanks to the overall higher stats. Plagues actually did pretty good for you it seemed, what with the getting feel no pain versus the even the bassie shot perhaps a second unit may be in order. As for killy, daemonettes root out entrenched infantry really well, I have never used horrors so I cant comment, but I am slanted to speedy daemonettes over blood letters though I recognize that blood letters are very good.

As for HQ, most seem to agree that 2x165 GUO are the best HQs point for point, though I hear the stock KoS is also pretty popular. Hearalds seem to have gotten a bad wrap--the only ones I have seen are chariot based ones that act as cheap daemon princes.

lose 5 Horrors to a bad scatter. You either place all of them or the squad has to roll for a 'mishap'.

Oh noes. Have I not caught up on my deep strike rules? I still place them in concentric rings, and when one ring can't finish the rest die...

Yea, so the nurgle herald flo(o)pped. Too bad I didn't read the HQ review until AFTER the game...lol. I'd used them before to great affect, but apparently not this go around.

I did use the mutation and converted a guardsman on the first try! I should've gone for a second at that point but instead I fried a squad with breath, I think. The spawn died too easily, surprisingly. Oh well. Maybe against a DE or another IG player I'll use it again.

I'm glad people are enjoying reading about my up-down luck. Next week I should be taking on Space Marines, so stay tuned!

Archived