Denying the enemy a cover save

juckto

Me and my friend noticed this when he fired one of the lascannons of his LR at me. The lascannon was half blocked by terrain but I didn't get a cover save. Why? Continue reading:

Rule: Vehicle firing multiple weapons. For Line of Sight each weapon mount is treated as if it were a seperate model firing in a unit.

Rule: Units partially in cover. If the majority of the firing models can see the majority of the target models clearly, then they don't get a cover save.

Rule: LoS to obscured vehicles: Do not count models which cannot hurt the vehicle

Conclusion: By firing the TL heavy bolters and storm bolter at my Pred, the majority of his weapons had clear line of sight, and I was denied a cover save.

+Edit: Updated with SeattleDV8's find.

I'd say he's misinterpreting the rules to gain an unfair advantage.

If you're hull down, you're hull down. It doesn't matter about the 'majority of his weapons'; if you do a True LOS check from the muzzle of the vehicle weapon (in this case a twin-las sponson) and 50% or more of the vehicle can't be seen, you get a 4+ cover save.

BRB pg. 22 "If the majority of the firers have a clear shot to the majority of the models in the target unit,the unit receives no save."

Since all the weapons on a vehicle is one unit....sadly it is RAW. Not the playing style that makes someone want to play you again,but....

OOPS

hold it, upon rereading the rules for vehicles

BRB pg 62 "(Do not count weapons that cannot hurt the vehicle) " phewww GOOD. it isn't ok then

edit changed page #

BRB pg. 22 "If the majority of the firers have a clear shot to the majority of the models in the target unit,the unit receives no save."

Since all the weapons on a vehicle is one unit....sadly it is RAW. Not the playing style that makes someone want to play you again,but....

OOPS

hold it, upon rereading the rules for vehicles

BRB pg 92 "(Do not count weapons that cannot hurt the vehicle) " phewww GOOD. it isn't ok then

Good find. That answers that one then. :P

RoV

can't think of any instance where that'd apply though (a vehicles weapons being unable to wound a multi-model infantry unit) afaik the lowest strength of any vehicle weapon is 4... and i don't know of any multi-model units with toughness 8.

can't think of any instance where that'd apply though (a vehicles weapons being unable to wound a multi-model infantry unit) afaik the lowest strength of any vehicle weapon is 4... and i don't know of any multi-model units with toughness 8.

Actually, the weakest weapon is the one on the lead ravager in that DE formation, which is Strength 1.

But if we're talking normal games, there's the lasguns on the chimera.

Archived