Predator without sponsons...Cheap and useful?

Vomikron Noxis

Greetings all,

Having used my predator in a few games now, I've found it to be useful, but less than spectacular. The main problem being that it cannot stay mobile and retain its firepower. For this reason I've been considering dropping the sponsons altogether, and running it unupgraded, with just an autocannon. Anybody use this configuration? Would it be a cheap and mobile nuisance, or would the points just be better spent elsewhere?

as people at warseer told , no sponsons makes no sense . it doesnt make them much cheaper [now if a sponson pred cost 40/50 pts it could be different , it would have been different]. But sponsons or not predators are rather static , if you want to use all weapons or not . yes they are a weapon platform and yes they are worse then oblits , but on the other hand predators should never be the main hvy support , they are there as meta choice to help lists that has problems with horde lists .

aslo as looks go . considering its the edition of free for all "counts as"[spits] you could use preds models as oblits.

But Obliterators look like crap and the OP was asking about Predators.

He also asked if the points would be better spent elsewhere. So in my opinion yes the points would be better spent elsewhere.

I would rather get an obliterator, however if you move the tank to block view and such, then it may have merit. Otherwise, unless your laying apocalypse with a bunch of TLLC turret-only predators to swarm the enemy then I dont see much for it.

as people at warseer told

advice from warseer = ignore at all costs

I used to run none sponsoned twin-linked lascannon preds back in 3rd (which is what 5th basically is) and in 4th before selling my army, had 2 of them, and they never let me down and I don't see them letting me down in 5th if I had them, I prefer being mobile with my vehicles supporting the infantry, not sitting back waiting to be DS'd to death, thats just boring and pointless, and for chaos I can see it working better since the supporting infantry can take more specials and be more mobile

Hey,

considering its the edition of free for all "counts as"[spits] you could use preds models as oblits

LOL! I use Space Crusade Dreadnaughts for Blitters.

But it's okay - I use Epic Titans for Dreadnaughts. ;- )

The problem with Preds under the Gavdex, is ready availability of Ghetto Razorbacks -

A DaePo Rhino with a Havok Launcher and two Pintles is *exactly* the same cost.

But:

* TransCap 10!

* Has ablative weapons for "Destroyed" results

* Six can occupy zero FOC slots

I just don't see Pred AV and Autocannon Str as trumping those points.

So, having Sponson options at extra cost isn't even on the map.

Ymmv.

Playa

Not cheap at all, 70 points for 1 autocanon on a pred chassis? Not a good idea. There is indeed no reason to not take sponsons. 1 weapon destroyed and it is useless, but even with his weapon he wont do much. It even takes up a heavy slot.

It is however not totally crap in a 1000 points battle if you have exactly 70 points left to spent. Often it wont get destroyed and he maybe destroys a transport and some orks but I dont see this one winning you games

advice from warseer = ignore at all costs

well am not going to go in to the what site has better tactics guy dakka or seer or B&C, because I post on all . But as the naked pred goes they are right . they are weak .

I used to run none sponsoned twin-linked lascannon preds back in 3rd

it was like totally different back then . puting the power lvl of the dex aside we had 0 working hvy support . oblits were crap , havocks made no sense in the era of rhino rush , but preds were our only options to get lascanons [and everyone needed those to play against eldar wrigth lord builds].

I agree with you on the "its stupid to wait till you get hit by outflankers/drop poders/deep strikers with your tanks and die after maybe 2 turns of shoting" . that why generally tanks are crap as support and why oblits are so good . a drop pod can always land on the side or back of a tank and bam no cover save . an oblit can be in deep strike , can get nice cover for woods/rubble/buildings and if it really has to survive one turn more it can got down and get a better cover save .

In low point games (1000) I have run 2 predators, both with twin lascannons and combi-bolters (or havoc launcher) with great results. The havoc/las combo works very well. the solid mixture of anti-tank and anti troop works very well, plus you can always scrap the havoc launcher on a weapon destroyed result. Just my $0.02.

Archived