Comment and critique my UM termi seargent please

hey all, long time lurker and first time poster, I decided to get some comments on my Ultramarines, particularly my Terminator sergeant

( I apologize for the low quality of the pictures, I only have a cell phone camera available to me at the moment)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/Muatah/0201091650a.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/Muatah/0201091649.jpg

what do you guys think?

It looks quite good, but some of the highlights are too thick and extreme. I would use another colour inbetween, and try to make them neater. The paint also looks a bit clumpy, so I would water it down a bit more. Other than that it looks like a nice miniture.

Not a bad Termie, I'd agree that the highlights are a little harsh, use a slightly darker color and they'd probably look better. The white could also use some differentiation in the details, it's a nice solid white but it sort of glares out the detail it's so bright, a wash/ink would probably fix that easily enough.

It looks quite good, but some of the highlights are too thick and extreme. I would use another colour inbetween, and try to make them neater. The paint also looks a bit clumpy, so I would water it down a bit more. Other than that it looks like a nice miniture.

ya the highlights have been bugging me as a bit extreme but I can't seem to find an inbeetween color, the nearest GW shop around me is 50+ minutes away so I'm trying to get a good highlight color by mixing UM blue or Enchanted blue with skull white.

about thinning, how do you guys get it out of the bottle to thin? getting a reasonable amount out has been confounding me for weeks now!

I find using an old brush works best. Right now I'm using a GW standard brush to mix my paints. As for actually mixing them I would suggest going to an art supply store and buying a small palette, or if you cant do that, get an old saucer and use that.

about thinning, how do you guys get it out of the bottle to thin? getting a reasonable amount out has been confounding me for weeks now!

Yea I just sorta scoop it out with an old brush and my pallets are actually just printing paper, though with watered down paints those can seep through the paper but it works if your not watering the paint down, though I'd deffinitely recommend getting a palete.

I find using an old brush works best. Right now I'm using a GW standard brush to mix my paints. As for actually mixing them I would suggest going to an art supply store and buying a small palette, or if you cant do that, get an old saucer and use that.

that I do have around me, I'll see if i can pick one up

I completely spaced, but if you dont want to buy a palette, then you can always use the plastic parts from a blister pack.

Archived