Different Colour Schemes

Forgarm

I'm returning from a 2-3 year break from playing and looking to starting fresh with my wolves with the new codex. But there's one problem that caused me to tire of painting last time..I'm sick of Blue/Grey! After 1750pts of Shadow/Space wolf grey for my wolves and 1500 of Regal blue for my 1k sons *ducks bolter fire and thrown empty kegs*. I just don't think I'll be able to keep focused in the WIP stages.

I'm still going to use a lot of pelts and everything that makes us SW stand out from our codex brothers, but was thinking of a lighter colour scheme, possibly white/bleached bone armour with shadow/SW grey trim. One thing I remember from going to tourneys is hearing bitching and moaning about schemes not matching the army..I remember hearing from a few tables over a guy complaining that he was facing a DA army painted red, and kept forgetting that they weren't BA.

Anyways, anyone have a good fluff explanation for why they're a diff colour? Was thinking something along the lines of them being deployed long term on ice worlds vs much higher numbers, so lighter colours = better for hit and run/ambush tactics. But not sure if that's a good enough reason.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I know next to nothing about SWs but can't imagine why that colour scheme would be a problem. After all, they could just be successors or one of the wolf lords had his great company painted different for a campaign. (or just cos he felt like it) In the old, old days (RT era) SMs did used to paint camo onto their armour until GW decided that they were tough enough not to care whether the army saw them coming. I think that arctic camo would be fine. Maybe even a more abstract explantion, like that the company has been on extended campaign for years and the armour has simply faded from weathering in the harsh environment? I also believe SWs originally had a darker grey colour pre-heresy.

People complaining at tournies about things like that sounds a bit too much like bitching for the sake of bitching if you ask me. This hobby, like few others, allows freedom of expression and creativity. The codices (in the case of space marines) give the great 1000 chapters/successors explanation which basically allows anyone to paint any army any colours - so long as your opponent is told what they're playing there should be no problem. After all, one of my friends has been fielding a DA army with no arms and mostly still not undercoated for months now - I have no problems remembering I'm playing against dark angels. :D

Welcome to the pack,

Camouflage? I hate to quote Dorn, here at the Fang but: "Camouflage is the colour of cowardice",

Wolves tend to stick with the grey/blue theme, but unlike most Chapters the colour can vary far more, each Great Company has its own unique colourings, clearly with the company shoulder pad and pack markings but over time a company's colours might shift as lost companies have, especially those that don't return to the fang over long periods. I'm planning on painting my wolves with the Skyrar's Dark Wolves colour scheme, which happens to be identical to Bulveye's war band in "Wolf's Honour".

If you're using Space Wolf figures, then the colours shouldn't be an issue at a competition.

Your wolves are your wolves, paint them how you like, I wouldn't take issue with the white/cream/grey you've planned, just leave the bright colours to Dorn's and Guilliman's lot.

The easiest explanation from a fluff perspective is that it's a wolflord who took his great company on a mighty quest and ran out of gray paint along the way...

Personally I hate the yellow, so my wolves are gray with red markings...

Actually if you don't paint them white, but at least some shade of grey it won't matter. Codex Grey for instance is VERY light, so light it looks more blue than grey, like an ice blue.

But it's still a shade of grey and that works.

I've been thinking of working on a lost great company. Similar to the 13th company, maybe even using some of those models. I had considered doing something with very dark greys, even black armor. The wolf priests look very cool. I could see a lost company having some fluff that would explain different coloring.

well i am kinda with a lot of the other people here... GREY! but it is up to you. i like the light grey with light bluish/grey you have there.

i am mostly like grimfoe and lpetersson on colors, not big into yellow, but big into preheresy, dark grey and red. the only yellow i will have will be eyes.

kinda like this:

gallery_37327_3056_23991.jpg

Well i'm making a Whitewolves (lost) great company which is based around my Wolf lord called Balthor Whitewolf(with Ragnar rules) who comes from the same tribe village as most of his troops (hence their tribe is a really orky one :) and lives for fightin') and because the area they move around wolves are really white i'm making them based on Fortress grey with Ghostly grey first highlight and almost pure skull white lining at the edges

I like it, well done there fellow wolf brother. It's not as striking as a normal yellow would be, and it blends nicely with the snow.

I hate yellow, I never use the darn thing unless I'm mixing, but that one is like a reserved beige mixed with a few rays of sunshine. :D

Honestly, paint them different combos. Make sure each squad is congrous, but I can tell you my Termies don't match my BCs all the time. I think it distinguishes them in a Chapter that is known for individual identity.

honestly i think that the paint scheme looks very nice, different, but nice. personally i paint my Wolves grey like 13th company, with black trim, and a nice bronze for the metal. just make sure you do something to differ the units, maybe paint a knee pad different or something like that. just makes organizing them better, because Russ knows my men hating being in the wrong pack.

I usually group each by shoulder pads, my old hunters had right shoulders a red/black jagged pattern, one squad red on top, black on bottom, with the 2nd squad reversed. Also base each squad slightly different from each other. This time around i'll probably get the GH metal shoulders off online store and do similar alternating colours.

In regards to the colors used by SWs, I think thats up to the leader of each great company (in other words, us). I tend to use a darker grey with red color scheme, cuz i hate that blue/grey color on all the 'dex wolves

Here is an example of the original idea..is it really so bad?

Maybe it's just me but while that paint scheme looks excelent and is very well painted, it doesn't look Space Wolfy, it looks instead like another wolfy-ish chapter. But not Space Wolves. Too much bone white and not enough actual grey, as long as it's some kind of grey in the majority it still passes as Space Wolves IMO, getting beyond that and it starts looking like some other Chapter.

Archived