Where to go from here....?

Shadowstalker Grim

Ok well so far i have a relatively small army and would like to know how to best expand it into an army that can take on most enemies. What i got so far is:

Captain with storm bolter and power sword

10 Tactical marines (flamer and missile as standard)

5 assault marines (all with bolt pistol and chainsword)

5 terminators (1 sergeant with power sword and storm bolters, 2 with stormbolters and fists and 2 with heavy flamers and fists)

I also got the assault on black reach set so adding to this will be:

10 more tactical marines

5 more terminators

1 dreadnaught

1 captain

Im building toward a 2000 point force and just asking the experienced and talented folk of this board what your suggestions are to make a tough army :P

I would suggest the following as simple first moves:

1 - Five more assault marines to round out that squad.

2 - Two Rhinos or Three Drop Pods (one for the Dread) so that you aren't forced into a static pose.

3 - Attack Bikes or Land Speeders with multi-meltas, for some tank killing meanness that fits into almost every list that is not a gunline.

That would be my first inclination after looking at your list.

Ok well so far i have a relatively small army and would like to know how to best expand it into an army that can take on most enemies.
I agree mostly with what Reinholt said.

First - You need some Transport I recommend some APC's (Rhino/Razorback) for the Tacticals and a Land Raider for the Terminators

Second - If you are using Assault Marines you really want ten of them, with two Flamers and Sgt with PF or Paired Claws.

Third - Attack Bikes with Multi-Melta's for some Anti-Tank.

Fourth - For 2k points I would use a Third Tactical Squad so add another one of those.

Captain with storm bolter and power sword

I would upgrade this to Captain with SB and Relic Blade. There is little difference in looks between Power Sword and Relic Blade but the RB is much better.

Just add some purity seals or may be extend the handle with some green stuff.

Like Koremu I prefer to play my army with a full squad of Bikes with the mounted Captain making them Troops. However I use them instead of Assault Marines. So if you going to follow this approch (which can be a little expensive on the pocket) I would not bother with the Assault Marines.

So an approxamate Army List would be

133 Captain w/ Relic Blade and SB

140 AOBR Captain w/ Relic Blade and Hellfire Rounds

695 3x Tactical Squads with PF's and Rhino, one has Melta

585 8 Terminatos w/ HF and LRC w/ Multi-Melta

105 Dreadnaught

240 10 Assault Marines w/ 2 Flamers and Paired Claws

100 Points 2 Attack Bikes w/ Multi-Melta (as squads of one)

Ideally the first Captain needs a Jump Pack so he can travel with the Assault Marines, in which case drop one of the Tactical Power Fists.

Everyone else has supported getting Fast choices (which I definately agree with) but I'll say get some Heavies. You will have plenty of CC for a Space Marine army, 5 Assault Marines, 10 Termies and 1 Dread with a CCW is not bad. Try some Devastators, maybe a Pred or a Land Raider. With something that has some longer range attacks with a good AP rating you can force people to come to you usually and then force them to eat a charge from your Termies, Assault Marines or Dread.

Elite isn't a bad choice either. I would say... what sort of unit are you attracted to? Do you like fast lightly armored troops? Hand to hand guys? Heavy Tanks? Long range support? Build your army around what you enjoy. Marines are so versatile, you can get whatever you like and still have room to fit something really power house in there.

Thanks for all the replies guys really appreciating the feedback :jaw:

well im a big fan of shooting armies and elite units, though i'll admit my current force might not reflect that B)

Im definately going to need to add in rhino tanks and round out that assault squad, im not the biggest fan of bikes (i don't know why they just don't appeal to me) but i'll certainly give them a try out!

Also a land raider sounds like a good investment, both for the firepower and the mobility :jaw:

Yeah dude, it also gives those Termies a nice home until you decide you want to dump them on some terribly unprepared enemy unit. Being able to charge out of the Land Raider is a HUGE plus.

For shooty type armies.... I am definately a big fan of the Twin-Linked Lascannon and Rocketlauncher Dread. Awesome tank busting power and can double as a troop killer with its frag missile. Very mobile and will attract enemy fire away from your more easily destroyed infantry/bikes/speeders

Sternguard is another awesome choice. These guys are incredible. They are like basic marines on steroids.... times 10. Being able to use different ammo each round is a ridiculous advantage. high armor save target? Eat my rapid fire AP3 shots. Hiding like a pansy? Eat my no cover save shots. High toughness? Enjoy a healthy serving of 2+ to wound. They also have 2 attacks each in hand to hand. Another awesome advantage.

I am also very partial to the Lascannon Pred. 3 Lascannons is fearsome for any army to face as if left alone, this unit will eat all their tanks and high armor/toughness units. It is a bullet magnet though. People seem to not like having to fight them.

Another thing for shooty armies would be a Heavy Bolter and Typhoon Missile Launcher Speeder. Unlike any other speeder variant, this thing can move 12" and shoot BOTH weapons. The missiles, if shot as frag missiles, are S4 and count as defensive weapons! A squad of 3 can lay down 12 S5 Heavy Bolter shots and 6 S4 Blast templates. This is enough to strike fear into any infantry unit. All the while, staying just out of range of being assaulted or shot. Very effective for a "rope-a-dope" style combat.

I hope that helps

7-10 I'd say. 10 is better as you can split them into combat squads. My advice on getting Sternguard is do NOT buy the models. Use a regular tac squad and just paint them different. For instance, all the rest of my army is painted blue with brown shoulders and feet/knees with gold trim on the shoulders. I painted my sternguard in silver, with blue feet/knees and shoulders with gold trim and a white helm. Don't waste your money. If you want them to really look different then add some extra bits on them

Personally I love attack bikes, heavy bolter and multi melta flavours, heavy bolters for the hordes meltas for the tanks! I am in the process of getting six of the beauties so I can have a full squad of each!

Also I find the Dark Angles veteran models are good for sternguard just put normal shoulder pads on instead of the ones with Dark Angles iconography.

Well could get me the battle force boxed set, gives me 5 more assault marines to round out the squad, a rhino, 10 marines that i could turn into sternguard, 5 marines for whatever(maybe give em a variety of wargear to use as sergeants), 5 scouts which i could add to with another 5 with sniper rifles. Mix this with a couple of attack bikes geared up with multi meltas. Then maybe invest in a land raider. Sound like a good idea?

Not bad man, just make sure you get some good weapons in at least one of those Tac squads that can pop a tank or threaten high armor save enemies. The Landraiders would do this well, but I'd suggest getting something to put in them! I think you mentioned you have termies, thats a good choice. Nothing like dumping 8 walking tanks onto someone's lap and charging them in there. I'd do it just for the reaction, from the "I just saw a ghost" look to the "oh crap..." look

Archived