Army Expansion

GunnarRedsun

Ok, so i have a quite sizeable Wolf army now, and have simply hit a brick wall. i can no longer think of units i want to build for it, but i do want to make more. so my thought was to expand outwards, and make a full great company. My first thought is to make a recon force, composed mostly of bike, using Korsaro Khan's rules, and having a biker army (well bikes and scouts) but i'm not sure. To tell the truth i'm really not sure at all where to go from here, but i really do want to make more, so i was wondering if any one had any ideas, or could help me figure out just how large to make my Great Company. thanks

oh and by the way i currently have 6 grey hunters, 2 long fangs, 4 dreads, 3 wolf guard battle leaders, 2 scouts, several land raiders, an iron preist, wolf and rune preists, wolf lord, and more wolves than i know what to do with.

personally i'm not big on whirlwinds(i know i know) but i am seriously thinking about an all biker army. i could make a grey hunterish unit or two based on the new assault veterans (their name slips my mind) and the thought of them deploying via drop pod is quite nice. as far as mechanized armies, i have a vallhallan army for that :lol:, so i'm not really interested in more tanks. But does anyone know a whole lot about the new C:SM? i'm thinking of running 3 thunderfire cannons? is that really wrong, or is it really right?

Im going to go out on a limb here and assume you mean packs up there and not individual members. In that case Id reccommend a squad or two of bloodclaws, some rhinos, razorbacks, predators, vindicators, drop pods, attack bikes *about six should be good* some landspeeders, including a storm... an ironclad, a Leman Russ, some more grey hunter packs of alternate set ups, or atleast some more weapon options... and when thats all good and done a pair of thunderhawks.

Then you can nab yourself a battle fleet gothic force, and an epic force. Ever try to play epic without a single super-heavy tank? it gets rough.

Not to mention some Thralls using the storm trooper rules from C:WH. Remember, storm troopers are incredibly precise :lol:.

Theres alot of space to expand towards.... especially in the vehicle department. Not to mention apocalypse.

EDIT:

Wait... are you using the rules for codex: SM instead of C:SW???

Why?

EDIT:

Wait... are you using the rules for codex: SM instead of C:SW???

Why?

this sounds like what he is doing... sadly more "new" space wolf players i know are really just "space wolf paint job" C:SM army palyers...

if i am wrong i am sorry. but you should make sure you have C:SW. uhh... i can kind of see the point that you are going to wait to see the new codex before making space wolf army, but no one really knows when that will be... most people around here see the NEW CODEX thread and think that it will be out soon, but look how long some of those threads go back. we really don't know when it will be. we hope this year.

that being said: get the space wolf codex. and i would say go drop pod, or foot sloggers with bike support. i know i am going to be working one a wolf lord bike squad, with 4 to 9 WGBG on bikes ^_^ just to have the space wolf version of the nob bike squad.

well in response to the C:SM thing, yes i have C:SW, i've been playing them for at least 10 years. That said, i'm simply thinking about doing a bike army with a space wolves theme, and yes...i know i know, they aren't space wolves, and that is unfortunate, but in the same vein, i want to try something new and different. but as far as vehicles, the only models i don't own and could use in my wolf army (the ones i mentioned are already tagged for the wolves, and converted) are drop pods, emphasis on the s as i do have one (but rarely use it). All the others (including 2 pewter thunderhawks, back from when you could by a chapter) are all sitting around here, somewhere, and i was just wondering what you all thought of my idea. Thank you all for your input and opinions. oh, and iron clads do rock most thusly.

the wolf guard bikers isn't a bad idea really, expensive, but bikers none the less. reason i wanted to do biker is i recently found/aquired through trade bout 30 bikes, and had no idea what to do with them, but knew they must be for russ. anywho throw in some scouts, and that sounds good to go. though i also found some beatman bits and am thinking about 13th company.

Im thinking Bikes and Vindicators plus maybe an ironclad Dreadnought.

I've never used wolf guard bikers, but blood claw bikes, if you can swallow the price, can be very effective even in small numbers (30 will definitely be enough) and are a really characterful addition as they careen around in true Fenrisian fashion :Troops: . Oh, and consider an attack bike with a mm!

Archived